IGNORED

The Last Starfighter Arcade Game: FULL VERSION!

This is very cool and I need to fire this up on a PC and try it out. Thanks for the heads up!

I wonder if this Shareware game is really some way of re-crewing us into the Starfighter fleet it self and if so I wont be stund if I see this guy pulled up in front of my house... :ponder:

americas-army-preston.jpg-----> "I Knew You Can Do It Boy!" :D

Unfortunately Robert Preston, who played Centauri, passed away in 1987. :(

..Al

This is very cool and I need to fire this up on a PC and try it out. Thanks for the heads up!

I wonder if this Shareware game is really some way of re-crewing us into the Starfighter fleet it self and if so I wont be stund if I see this guy pulled up in front of my house... :ponder:

americas-army-preston.jpg-----> "I Knew You Can Do It Boy!" :D

Unfortunately Robert Preston, who played Centauri, passed away in 1987. :(

..Al

Yea I found out about it om a ABC news as they was showing about his movies like The Music Man.

This guy also has a version of Space Paranoids on there for any that are interested. :)

ENCOM MX 16-923 USER # 0176825 06:00 INFORMATION

VIDEO GAME PROGRAM: SPACE PARANOIDS

ANNEXED 9/22 BY E. DILLINGER

ORIGINAL PROGRAM WRITTEN BY K. FLYNN

THIS INFORMATION PRIORITY ONE

END OF LINE

Tempest

END OF LINE

Tempest

And I wouldn't be surprised if Matt wrote that from memory. I know I have it memorized, it's the climactic scene when he comes back. I could probably imitate the laugh he gets after reading the printout if pushed hard enough. :)

Wow! I've been waiting 22 years to play this game! And it's as complicated as I expected. Can't have just any 'ole Joe jumping into a Starfighter, now can we? Cute that it's manufactured by Centari. :D

Controls aren't too bad. It seems to be modeled after MAME. Press 5 to get credits, press space bar to start. Arrow key move the ship around, W, A, S, D (or the mouse) moves the crosshair. Space bar is fire, the comma, period, and slash key selects your weapons.

Now, I just gotta remap my controls! :D

This guy also has a version of Space Paranoids on there for any that are interested. :)

END OF LINE

Tempest

Great post! :cool:

Made me want to watch the movie, so I popped in the dvd :)

I haven't tried The Last Starfighter yet, but I DLed Space Paranoids.

First impression, WOW!

Also, I forgot I had my video card set for 3D shutter glasses ON.

When the game started, I recognized right away, so I put them on.

This game is GREAT in 3D if you have the glasses.

Still have to get the hang of the controls.

p.s. Notice they are working on "The Bishop of Battle"?

I loved that. I hope he doesn't get stuck coding level 13.. :-)

Is my memory off or do the models in the game look like crap compared to what we saw in the movie? I know they used a supercomputer back then, but come on. It's the 21st century. Aren't there enough talented nerds out there that like the movie who could pitch in and provide them with high-quality models and music so they don't have to use that inferior free stuff in the game?

I tried the game, but I'm not going to waste any more time on it until some talented 3D modelers and musicians step in and lend a hand.

Is my memory off or do the models in the game look like crap compared to what we saw in the movie? I know they used a supercomputer back then, but come on. It's the 21st century. Aren't there enough talented nerds out there that like the movie who could pitch in and provide them with high-quality models and music so they don't have to use that inferior free stuff in the game?

I tried the game, but I'm not going to waste any more time on it until some talented 3D modelers and musicians step in and lend a hand.

You missing the piont. In the film you see him playing an arcade game call Starfighter and the CG on that game back in 84 looks like any Playstation 1 games of today (It was ahead of its time) yes they used a real super-computer to mockup that game in the movie but they had to use what ever they had back then and to try to sup it up to todays CG like from an Xbox loose the meaning of Retro-Gaming I have the movie on DVD and this shearware game macth the same 1984 CG of the Starfifghter in the movie.

I have the movie on DVD and this shearware game macth the same 1984 CG of the Starfifghter in the movie.

I watched the movie many times over the years and it doesn't match. This PC game looks worse than the fake arcade game in the movie, especially at the beginning when we move up to the ship. You can't see that this looks worse?

It looked pretty good to me. Not quite as good as the movie, but then again that wasn't a real game. Remember this is a freebie homebrew effort, so I think we can cut the guy some slack...

I tried playing it with the keyboard and found it very difficult. I'm going to try with a joystick and see if it gets better. My Dualshock 2 should make this much easier to play.

Tempest

It looked pretty good to me. Not quite as good as the movie, but then again that wasn't a real game. Remember this is a freebie homebrew effort, so I think we can cut the guy some slack...

Yeah, I know, that's why I'm saying it would be good if a few talented people who like the movie would help him out. I just hope that no one seriously thinks that the game looks just like the fake arcade game from the movie yet. It might after some more people work on it, but it's not there yet. Related links with a few pics from the fake game:

http://tep.wonderworks.se/movies/html/l01.htm

http://www.mameworld.net/movies/movies3.htm

Wow! I've been waiting 22 years to play this game! And it's as complicated as I expected. Can't have just any 'ole Joe jumping into a Starfighter, now can we? Cute that it's manufactured by Centari. :D

Controls aren't too bad. It seems to be modeled after MAME. Press 5 to get credits, press space bar to start. Arrow key move the ship around, W, A, S, D (or the mouse) moves the crosshair. Space bar is fire, the comma, period, and slash key selects your weapons.

Now, I just gotta remap my controls! :D

It was based on a mame control scheme as the next step of the project is to put it into the actual cab as seen in the game. We are planning on using a standard keyboard encoder (probably an ipac) to interface to the computer. Doing it this way will allow us to put other games in the cab as well, so it works out good!

It's a really cool concept, making versions of the old fake games now that the technology has caught up.

i guess they're all in DarkBasic?

Yup, all of the games are written in DarkBasic.

I tried playing it with the keyboard and found it very difficult. I'm going to try with a joystick and see if it gets better. My Dualshock 2 should make this much easier to play.

Tempest

If you get this working with a dual shock, would you mind letting me know? One of the most common comments that have made it back to us is making it compatible with analog controls. I hadn't thought of using a dualshock, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Cool to see the interest here. I have definitely gotten emails abou the controls being awkward but have not gotten the graphics complaints. The screen caps above are from the proto for the game engine. I actually had help from a modeller on the Gunstar and the rendering differences are due to darkbasic. That being said, the other models are mostly mine and are as close as I could get. Dark Basic does some odd things with models so even optimizing may cause smoothing. All that being said, considered it was a mandatory render in 800x600, I thought the models didn't turn out half bad. Here are some representative shots from the download (i.e. not the code development/prototype above).

post-7096-1143399135_thumb.jpgpost-7096-1143399065_thumb.jpgpost-7096-1143398886_thumb.jpg

post-7096-1143399090_thumb.jpgpost-7096-1143398327_thumb.jpgpost-7096-1143398936_thumb.jpg

I have updated all the code to allow higher display resolutions and it looks pretty good in 1600x1200x16.

I am most certainly a hack modeller. This is a freeware project for anyone who has ever wanted to own this cabinet. Any contributions in terms of better models would be welcome. The Gunstar is a perfect match to the film (just open it in any renderer). The reason it doesn't match the flick is the absence of specular highlights/metallics in the Dark Basic compiler. That being said, everything else I cobbled together so have at. I absolutely welcome any help in terms of making this better. I have already received optimized models, cabinet blueprints, and even a spanish dialog pack from people who liked the game and wanted to improve upon it. Any modellers out there, I would love a better Scout ship and Ko-Dan fighter. You might try substituting them for the ones in the models folder to see what the compiler will do with 'em. Any contributors get credited with their work.

To the peanut gallery: bellyaching is easy, meanigful contribution is hard. Also, "talented musicians", WTF? The MIDI is a direct write of the Safan score and everything else is directly taken from the movie or the score :roll:

I am still updating the code (analog controls, Death Blossom tweaks, attract mode fixes, etc) so please feel free to email me at doc@roguesynapse.com with any help.

Doc

Edited by roguesynapse
  • Like 1

I have been quietly working on a remake of the LSF cabinet (Tempest and Albert knew about it) and I was going to install an 800 and have it load the 800 version of LSF up and run it, but now, WOW!!! This is like truely playing the movie, the game needs some highend processing power and really stripping down the OS so that it is the only thing runnig to keep it very smooth flowing, but damn this is gonna be a blast to put together!!! Doc -- you ROCK! :-)

Curt

Cool to see the interest here. I have definitely gotten emails abou the controls being awkward but have not gotten the graphics complaints. The screen caps above are from the proto for the game engine. I actually had help from a modeller on the Gunstar and the rendering differences are due to darkbasic. That being said, the other models are mostly mine and are as close as I could get. Dark Basic does some odd things with models so even optimizing may cause smoothing. All that being said, considered it was a mandatory render in 800x600, I thought the models didn't turn out half bad. Here are some representative shots from the download (i.e. not the code development/prototype above).

post-7096-1143399135_thumb.jpgpost-7096-1143399065_thumb.jpgpost-7096-1143398886_thumb.jpg

post-7096-1143399090_thumb.jpgpost-7096-1143398327_thumb.jpgpost-7096-1143398936_thumb.jpg

I have updated all the code to allow higher display resolutions and it looks pretty good in 1600x1200x16.

I am most certainly a hack modeller. This is a freeware project for anyone who has ever wanted to own this cabinet. Any contributions in terms of better models would be welcome. The Gunstar is a perfect match to the film (just open it in any renderer). The reason it doesn't match the flick is the absence of specular highlights/metallics in the Dark Basic compiler. That being said, everything else I cobbled together so have at. I absolutely welcome any help in terms of making this better. I have already received optimized models, cabinet blueprints, and even a spanish dialog pack from people who liked the game and wanted to improve upon it. Any modellers out there, I would love a better Scout ship and Ko-Dan fighter. You might try substituting them for the ones in the models folder to see what the compiler will do with 'em. Any contributors get credited with their work.

To the peanut gallery: bellyaching is easy, meanigful contribution is hard. Also, "talented musicians", WTF? The MIDI is a direct write of the Safan score and everything else is directly taken from the movie or the score :roll:

I am still updating the code (analog controls, Death Blossom tweaks, attract mode fixes, etc) so please feel free to email me at doc@roguesynapse.com with any help.

Doc