Zeptari

800XL vs XEGS

Which to get:

Most compatible with all carts?

Price?

Any other info?

I had an 800xl back in the day and loved it, but the XEGS is something

I never owned and looks interesting.

I like to hear the works from owner's of both systems!

Thanks

ohh and any handy links too!

Thnaks again

It really depends on what you're looking to use it for. The XEGS and the 800XL are virtually the same machine inside, so they are equally compatible with 400/800 software. The XEGS has the added advantage of standard composite A/V jacks that are built right into the console (and produce a VERY nice picture) and the detached keyboard, and if you happen to like Missile Command, it's also built into the console.

The most common complaints about the XEGS keyboard is that it feels a little mushy, the cable is too short, and that it gets dirty/stained easily because the keys are all white. If you're planning to use it as a game machine primarily, none of these issues should matter too much. If you want the XEGS but think the keyboard will be a problem for you, Best Electronics sells an inexpensive kit that drastically improves the feel of the keyboard, and you can easily extend the cord with a PC15 joystick extension cable (very common and cheap on eBay).

As far as price goes, I've seen a few of both systems on eBay recently and they seem to go for about the same price (from $25 to $55 depending on shipping and how much software is included). You can also get one from Best Electronics or B&C ComputerVisions; even though the price might be a bit higher, you're guaranteed to get a good product.

the XEGS have the A/V ports and you can use a regular cable. The 800XL have the 5 pin DIN in the back, and you need to make your own cable or buy one. Other than that, I can't think of something else. I use my 800XL most of the time thou.

I have both systems. The composite video of the XEGS is bad compared to my svideo 2.1 modded XL. And i couldn´t find a ramdisk for the xegs (except of Mathy van Nisselroy's homebrewed one). The XEGS's rom has the OS, missile command and basic included and is therefore a 32kb rom (Which can't be replaced with the 16kb OS-rom from the xl). So if you want to have a qmeg+ or so, you have to find someone who burns it to a 32kb eprom together with basic and the game.

So if you like to mod your hardware, go with the xl, as nearly all mod's are done for this.

Regards

Beetle

Edited by Beetle

Anything that can be done to the 800XL or 130xe can be done to the XEGS, it just requires a more customized approach when designing upgrades. For some reason, the XEGS has not classically been a real popular machine to "mod" and there are not may "prewritten" sets of instructions out there for upgrades. The fact is, all 8-bit ataris use the same major custom chips with the same signals. There are differences in ROM and ram adressing that are model specific, but nothing that cannot be worked around with a few bucks worth of commonly available discrete logic ICs and some carefully designed wiring.

I second the oppinion about composite video versus the full "monitor port".. Chroma/luma (s-video) when "tuned" right (via the various "video fixes" for the 800xl or 65/130XE) is absolutely the clearest, best video output you can get for the 8-bit atari. This could be added to the XEGS rather cheaply, but here again, I have never seen a pre-made set of instructions posted anywhere to do it.

Also, it depends on your future expansion plans, If you want to get a SERIOUS hardisk interface such as an MIO or BLACKBOX, the 800xl's PBI interface is a must have. The XEGS has no paralell bus connector whatsoever.

Also, Here is the actual scoop on the keyboard:

The 800 XL keyboard keys are returned by dual (inner and outer) springs. They have a very light feel to them, and they push all the way down and engage SOLID against actual stops. This gives a very solid feel, and a very positive indication of a keypress. You can really type fast and comfortably on these keyboards. Most people DRASTICALLY prefer them over the XE keyboard..

The XE keyboard's keys are returned by a rubber "compresion cup" under the key plungers. They do not have any "positive" stop whatsoever. There is no "solid feel" of the key being pressed all the way down. Most people hate this. The XEGS keyboard is the exact same one used on the 65/130xe. Most people think this keyboard has a very "cheap and mushy" feel when compared to the XL keyboards. In reality, the keyboard is actually made rather well, and is a very durable unit. Atari just really "missed it" on the "feel" of the engage/return mechanism they chose for the keys. Also, the XE keyboard has the ATARI's graphics character set (activated by holding the [CONTROL] key) shown on the front side of the keycaps, much like the Commodore 64. The XL line didnt have this. Most of us who have used ataris for enough years have these memorized anyway, so this is not that much of a necessary feature, but in all, especially for new users, it is definitely worth mentioning.