IGNORED

Spectravision games are EProms?

stop_rebel_scum

Someone mentioned this in another thread and I was surprised. Are they all? How can I protect mine and how long could I expect them to last, more or less?

Some Planet Patrol's and some Gangster Alley's, as well as all Chuckwagon carts have EPROM's. I have also seen a Mangia with an EPROM.

EPROMs need strong UV light to erase them. Chances are it would take a days worth of direct sunlight to do anything.

If you're really paranoid, just open up the carts and use a CD marker to darken the little window.

How do you store carts anyway? Most people would either put them in a shelf, specially made holder, or in a box.

If you just leave them sitting on the floor, or a window sill, then you are just asking for trouble anyway (dust, damage, etc).

EPROMs need strong UV light to erase them. Chances are it would take a days worth of direct sunlight to do anything.

Not completely true.

Even less then an hour of direct sunlight can start corrupting the stored contents. Not completely and not enough to allow a reprogramming till it's propperly erased under a UV eraser, but enough to render the data corrupted and useless.

My personal tests down in Miami, Fl. show the afternoon sun there can start corrupting data after only 15-20 minutes.

Ganster Alley and Planet Patrol.. have those. I wonder if there's a way I can tell without opening them? I actually like both of them as games, too. the bomber getting in your face.. hehe

Also, why do some of them say spectravision and some spectravideo? I understand one was the european division of the company, but the carts aren't PAL or anything.

Ganster Alley and Planet Patrol.. have those. I wonder if there's a way I can tell without opening them? I actually like both of them as games, too. the bomber getting in your face.. hehe

Take a flashlight and shine it into the bottom of the cart. If you see a row of 7 pins, close to the dust cover, it has an EPROM inside. ;)

Take a flashlight and shine it into the bottom of the cart. If you see a row of 7 pins, close to the dust cover, it has an EPROM inside. ;)

My Nexar and Tapeworm appear to be EPROM's then. :(

Spectravideo or Spectravision? There may be a pattern.

Spectravideo or Spectravision? There may be a pattern.

Omega's collection:

Cart			 Logo		  Eprom
Ganster Alley	  Spectravideo	   No
Planet Patrol	  Spectravideo	   No
Master Builder	 Spectravideo	   No
Cross Force		Spectravideo	   No
China Syndrome	 Spectravision	  No
Nexar			  Spectravision	  Yes

I had no idea CTCW was either until I read this thread.

Yep, every single CTCW, I have ever seen has an EPROM inside. Some other ones you guys might not know about...

Spider Maze

Vulture Attack

Condor Attack

Most adult double-enders

All Telegames carts

Most Froggo carts (although they have OTP's in them)

Most Double Dragon's

Halloween

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

All Lochjaw carts

blah blah.

;)

Not completely true.

Even less then an hour of direct sunlight can start corrupting the stored contents. Not completely and not enough to allow a reprogramming till it's propperly erased under a UV eraser, but enough to render the data corrupted and useless.

My personal tests down in Miami, Fl. show the afternoon sun there can start corrupting data after only 15-20 minutes.

Are we talking about EMPROM in a black cart or completely exposed EMPROM.