IGNORED

Crypts of Chaos maps?

Lauren Tyler

I can you this, about that.

I have not.

In fact I don't believe I have ever played that game, even though I have always been interested in it. I heard it wasn't very good.

I had high hopes for it when it came out, and bought it right away. I was disappointed, but thought it showed promise... it just had some problems. For example, the dot that represents the player moves very slowly across the screen, making it rather tedious to turn left or right, or to move into position for attacking a monster. And the graphics were cruder than they needed to be, in my opinion. But the overall idea was pretty neat. I've posted a map of Maze A in the other thread, and screenshots from Stella showing what the illustrations in the manual look like.

Michael Rideout

I've finished the map for Maze "B" (levels 2, 6, 10, 14, etc.), and I also modified the map for Maze "A" a little bit to be more accurate. Specifically, I noticed that the monsters' lairs extend back one more square-- that is, they're two squares "deep," but you have to fight a monster and can collect the treasure in the first square. And some of the "dead ends" are really more like niches, because if you go "into" the so-called "dead end" and do a U-turn, you'll see that you didn't really go "into" a new square at all. For example, if you're in an intersection facing what appears to be a dead end, and move "forward," the "side exits" disappear; but if you then do a U-turn, you'll find that you're still in the intersection. So I changed those "niches" from full "dead end" squares to just orange "half squares." And finally, the screen turns red for the "down staircase" two full squares before the actual staircase, so I colored three squares red-- the two squares before the staircase, then the actual square containing the staircase, which is the square I put a "D" in. In both the up staircase and down staircase, you can't really go "into" the staircase square per se, because when you move "into" that square, you are taken up or down a level. I'm posting the maps in this thread, since this is the thread that has "maps" in the subject line! :)

Michael Rideout

post-7456-1144901983_thumb.jpg

Crypts of Chaos - Maze "A" (Levels 1, 5, 9, 13, etc.)

post-7456-1144902059_thumb.jpg

Crypts of Chaos - Maze "B" (Levels 2, 6, 10, 14, etc.)

• Like 1

I've tried to play this game, really I have, because the concept is phenomenal, but the game is brutually slow and boring. Plus, I get killed like nuts, because the controls are so odd and sluggish. Good luck in your efforts.

Yes, the controls are difficult. One thing that's always been hard for me to do is switch actions (i.e., choose a weapon or make a U-turn) and then switch back to where the action is "locked" and I can move back and forth to get into a decent attack position. It seems like if you choose the action, and then press the button and push "up" while pushing the button, it's easier to "lock" the selected action or weapon and switch back to where you can move again.

Here is the map for Maze "C," which is a little bit quirky. That is, there is one spot (on the far left, in the bottom half) where a lair is at the end of a corridor, and there is another corridor going N-S that goes "through" the backmost square of the lair. I put a thicker wall there to show that the lair doesn't connect with that N-S corridor, but the lair actually extends "into" (or let's say "below") the square of the N-S corridor. I haven't started on the map for Maze "D" yet, but I'm guessing that it may be even more quirky, since it seems like the programmer tried to make each maze more tricky than the ones before. For example, Maze "B" has more dead ends at the end of corridors than Maze "A" does, and Maze "C" has more dead ends than Maze "B."

Michael Rideout

post-7456-1144909694_thumb.jpg

Maze "C" - Levels 3, 7, 11, 15, etc.

• Like 1

Here is the map for Maze "D." It has one location (in the upper left quadrant) where two corridors actually cross each other-- I guess one of them goes underneath the other. Since the N-S corridor is a dead end, I put thicker walls on the upper and lower sides of the square where they cross, because the E-W corridor ends in a monster's lair.

Michael Rideout

post-7456-1145077372_thumb.jpg

Maze "D" -- Levels 4, 8, 12, 16, etc.

• Like 1