IGNORED

Crypts of Chaos - What do the staircases look like?

Lauren Tyler

Hello again,

So there's nobody who knows what the maze layout in this game is. Well, I can make do.

The manual does tell me what color most of the rooms are, but it doesn't tell me what the staircases look like. Does anyone know what they look like?

I started playing it on Stella last night after I read your post, and had to dig out my cartridge so I could refer to the printed manual. I was making a map many years ago, but if I ever finished it, it's lost to the dustbunnies of time.

Anyway, if you want to know what a stairway looks like, just do a U-turn as soon as you begin the game, because you start each level beside the up stairway. So if you do a U-turn on game 4 and take the stairs, you end the game!

Here are some screenshots from Stella, to show you the pictures that are missing from the text-only online copy of the manual:

post-7456-1144465865_thumb.jpg

CORRIDOR

post-7456-1144466066_thumb.jpg

WARNING -- You are approaching a Dead End, T-Intersection or Lair

post-7456-1144466089_thumb.jpg

WARNING -- You are approaching a Dead End or a T-Intersection

post-7456-1144466114_thumb.jpg

T-INTERSECTION

post-7456-1144466144_thumb.jpg

DEAD END

post-7456-1144466170_thumb.jpg

4-WAY INTERSECTION

post-7456-1144466198_thumb.jpg

WARNING -- You are approaching a Lair

post-7456-1144466233_thumb.jpg

MONSTER'S LAIR

post-7456-1144466266_thumb.jpg

UP STAIRCASE

post-7456-1144466307_thumb.jpg

DOWN STAIRCASE

The map for Maze A (levels 1, 5, 9, etc.) is very simple, something like the following (which is not drawn to scale):

post-7456-1144468804_thumb.jpg

I hope this is enough to get you started! :)

Michael Rideout

• Like 1

Thanks folks. What is the difference between the Up and Down staircases? I mean, the size of the openings looks a little smaller on one than the other.

That's a good observation! Actually, the easiest way to tell them apart is to notice that on the down staircase, there are two little lines (playfield pixels) at the top of the opening, one on either side. It looks like if those playfield pixels had been extended all the way down the sides of the opening, the opening would have been just as narrow as the opening in the up staircase.

Michael Rideout