IGNORED

8bit release at Breakpoint'2k6

twh/f2

Alright, I should chime in, since I'm the guy who did this ;)

SquoQuo is mainly a PC demogroup, but in the meantime I started getting interested in my good old Atari again.

8-bit coding is just a lot more fun than PC coding.

We've already released an Atari game on last year's Breakpoint, called Shit Alpin 2005.

Hopefully we will release Atari demos someday, too. I already have a bunch of effects, but our musician still refuses to use RMT ;)

A last note: The game still has some serious bugs (the worst is the crash after Game Over screen). I'm working on this and will release a final version soon.

Hopper/SquoQuo

Edited by Tschibo00

SquoQuo is mainly a PC demogroup, but in the meantime I started getting interested in my good old Atari again.

We've already released an Atari game on last year's Breakpoint, called Shit Alpin 2005.

Hopefully we will release Atari demos someday, too. I already have a bunch of effects, but our musician still refuses to use RMT ;)

A last note: The game still has some serious bugs (the worst is the crash after Game Over screen). I'm working on this and will release a final version soon.

Hopper/SquoQuo

Nice work, Hopper! Really promising project! Good work!!

To Shit Alpin 2005: it's nice game as well but it doesn't work on real HW! Did you test it on real Atari?

F.

P.S. To those who like music used in Bulimia: doesn't it sound like emkay's "horrible" creations? :)

Edited by _Fandal_

I indeed tested it on real hardware after the release.

More or less it does work (at least on my 130XE), but the loader for example is seriously broken ;)

Well, the music/sound effects are more or less hacked together in short time, that's why they sound rather horrible...

Originally I wanted to use samples, but there was no memory left anymore, since I wanted it to run on 64k machines.

Major intention was to do a drum&bass remix of the original PacMan music

I indeed tested it on real hardware after the release.

More or less it does work (at least on my 130XE), but the loader for example is seriously broken ;)

Well, the music/sound effects are more or less hacked together in short time, that's why they sound rather horrible...

Originally I wanted to use samples, but there was no memory left anymore, since I wanted it to run on 64k machines.

Major intention was to do a drum&bass remix of the original PacMan music

Oh, I can't get it to work, really. I just downloaded it again and I still have no success. It crash on my real PAL Atari when selecting destination, I was never able to start the race itself...

F.

We had a discussion last year ;-)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...ndpost&p=834299

Indeed there is an advanced progress from "shit alpin" to "bulimia" :D

I like the game, and I like the style of music.

RMT is a good tool for making experiments. Your musician did the right descision, because RMT misses a lot of pokey programming features.

Hopper/SquoQuo

Ok. Some bugs, but : :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looong time ago I already did some stuff on the Atari, best known should be Let's Hop, for which I *definitely* should upload the newer version I once did for a public domain diskmag.

Next week I will start correcting the bugs in Ms.Bulimia and I will also check what's wrong with Shit Alpin on real hardware.

emkay: What would you recommend as a tracker? Or just code your own sound engine/tracker?

emkay: What would you recommend as a tracker? Or just code your own sound engine/tracker?

Perhaps your musician is interested in my "theories" and my experiments.

For my experiments you may check the Hardsynth thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...8283&hl=tracker

Perhaps this is, when finished, the best POKEY Tracker:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...2042&hl=tracker

TMC has the best "pokey-funcionality" for now:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...c=57937&hl=tmc#

Emkay: RMT is a good tool for making experiments. Your musician did the right descision, because RMT misses a lot of pokey programming features.

Emkay, you have very special sounds requirements. ;)

If somebody want to create some classical earthly listenable melodic music, RMT is sufficient for it I think. :)

(I made RMT for it. ;) )

But, I will not pressure anybody to use RMT, of course. :D

miker: Adding more stages would be difficult, since I have only 3 bytes left in the moment ;)

Of course I can release the xex as well, I don't just see the advantage!?

So far I've fixed the major bugs except the game over-crash.

Heaven: Maybe I should upload the final version of Let's hop somewhere. The original version that's available for download just plainly sucks ;)

emkay: *g* Erm, not really

Although a nicely distorted track with the text spoken by SAM could be interesting ;)

I guess, whenever we'll finish our first A8 demo, it will be rather oldschool

Alright, the final version is done.

Fixed some major bugs, like the game over crash as well as some minor bugs:

Ms.Bulimia Final

I've also included a XEX file :)

Huh, this is not bug free version in no case. Sorry. It's still crashing. Sooner or later some garbage appers on the playing field and the game is uplayable then. Besides there's another bug: some garbage appears when selecting difficulty and holding joystick to the left.

F.

Wow! a funny game with a special sense of music and graphics. Sure its unique. Congratulations!

I loaded in my 130XE NTSC machine. The first screen appears with full color and without flickering effects. Great!

The sounds are solid and very crazy.

When appears the level menu I choose the first level, the initial screen game appears and after the redefine char process the machine hangs. Well, I suposse soon will be patched, meanwhile I enjoyed with the emulator. Thanks for your Atarian job.

Edited by Allas

What a waste, why bother making games if you're just gonna make them about faeces and vomit.

Because they want to. If it's a choice between people putting the effort in and not putting the effort in, i'll go with the former any day if we get a playable game out of it and, considering how lean things are, i'm sure a lot of people would agree.

(As for the music, A8Win was in mute before the end of the first round. =-)