IGNORED

Completed Zellers

Omegamatrix

With the addition of Inca Gold and Earth Attack today my quest is finally over. Until someone proves to me another Zellers cart exists with a box scan or some English/French instructions I dare say this is a definite collection (minus all the boxes, lol). I apologize for these scans as I just don't own a camera yet. Right now I'm on a happy vibe as I also received Strat-O-Gems Deluxe and Qb in the mail today as well. It's been a good day.

post-7074-1145909933_thumb.jpg

post-7074-1145909958_thumb.jpgpost-7074-1145909980_thumb.jpgpost-7074-1145909999_thumb.jpg

If you are new to Zellers carts don't try matching up the end labels to my scans. I just scanned all the end labels and then the fronts. For a clear definition of what picture belongs to what label in my scans they are:

Scan one (front labels):

Time Warp, Dragon Treasure, Challenge

Sea Hawk, Busy Police, Laser Volley

Scan two (front labels):

Farmer Dan, Pinball, Freeway

Radar, Circus, Turmoil

Scan Three (front labels):

Frontline, Inca Gold, Space Adventure

Scuba Diver, Earth Attack, Ocean City Defender

So what are all these games exactly anyway? Well a list of there equivilants are as follows:

Busy Police = Keystone Kapers (Activision)

Challenge (NTSC) = Challenge (PAL) HES

Circus (uses joystick) = Circus Atari (uses paddles) Atari

Dragon Treasure = Dragonfire (Imagic)

Earth Attack = Defender (Atari)

Farmer Dan = Gopher (US Games)

Freeway = Freeway (Activision)

Frontline = Combat (Atari)

Inca Gold = Spider Maze (K-Tel Network)

Laser Volley = Laser Gates (Imagic)

Ocean City Defender (hack with different ships, Funvision logo) = Atlantis (Imagic)

Pinball = Arcade Pinball (Atari)

Radar = Exocet (Panda)

Scuba Diver = Scuba Diver (Panda)

Sea Hawk = Sea Hawk (Panda)

Space Adventure = Flash Gordon (20th Century Fox)

Time Warp (NTSC) = Funvision's Time Warp (PAL), and Funvision's Time Race (PAL)

Turmoil = Turmoil (20th Century Fox)

These carts were all produced by the same little known manufacturer that has been labelled as "Taiwan 2600 Compatible". They were available in Europe, Mexico, etc. What makes a Zellers cart a Zellers cart though is the distinction on the box. Zellers carts have their logo in the top right hand corner. Otherwise there is no difference (well their are variations in the fat and thin texts on the end labels of the carts, as well as I have a Time Warp & Laser Volley with shells that have unique grips on the side, but that is a story for another thread). There are also tons of look alike cartridges that have the same artwork, and different names on the end label. For example Laser Volley is also seen as Laaser Voley. Until I see a Zellers logo box with that title it doesn’t really exist for me. it's too easy to mix up with the other Taiwan 2600 Compatible pirates that were sold apart from Zellers. What I'm looking for is the Zellers logo on the box to prove it's an Zellers cart. This is a Scuba Diver box is from Sly. The Zellers logo appears on it in the top right hand corner where as any other Taiwan 2600 Compatible box from another country will have that area left blank.

post-7074-1145909666_thumb.jpg

I'm really happy right now. Zellers holds a lot of memories for me as there was one close to home where I grew up. I think it's neat that they sold their own (pirated) brand of Atari 2600 carts.

Edit: I originally called the style of these carts "Taiwan Cooper". That simply is not true as Taiwan Cooper carts are completely different. Also Rom Hunter helped clear up some confusion on Time Warp's Equivilant. Thnaks Rom.

Edited by Omegamatrix
  • Like 2

Nice!! Way to go on finishing the set!!

But Ummm, Lasser Voley is a Zellers cart for sure, It's just a error\variant label. It would be very easy to take a Laser Volley box and put in a Lasser Voley cart if that helps ;)

Edited by Shawn Sr.

Incredibly impressive. There are a couple of labels there I have never seen before although the titles are known to me. Very well done my friend ;)

Thanks! What labels haven't you seen before though Foxsolo?

Sea Hawk, Farmer Dan and Space Adventure. I owned Farmer Dan but it was missing the front label. In the UK Zellers titles are pretty rare and on Ebay you only see the common ones such as Inca Gold, Challenge, Frontline etc ;)

Incredibly impressive. There are a couple of labels there I have never seen before although the titles are known to me. Very well done my friend ;)

Sea Hawk, Farmer Dan and Space Adventure. I owned Farmer Dan but it was missing the front label. In the UK Zellers titles are pretty rare and on Ebay you only see the common ones such as Inca Gold, Challenge, Frontline etc ;)

Lol, the picture of Inca Gold might be common under a lot of different Taiwan Cooper 2600 Compatible games, but it's one of two hardest to find Zellers games. Space Adventure is the second hardest to find game. Farmer Dan I bought off of Mindfield, and Sea Hawk I got two (maybe three) copies of. Sea Hawk is one of my favorite labels. Frontline does come up once and a while on eBay, and doesn't sell for much.

Edit: took out Taiwan Cooper and replaced it with 2600 Compatible.

Edited by Omegamatrix

Lol, the picture of Inca Gold might be common under a lot of different Taiwan Cooper games, but it's one of two hardest to find Zellers games. Space Adventure is the second hardest to find game. Farmer Dan I bought off of Mindfield, and Sea Hawk I got two (maybe three) copies of. Sea Hawk is one of my favorite labels. Frontline does come up once and a while on eBay, and doesn't sell for much.

I once had five of them (Inca Gold) and yes they were Zellers. I couldn't get rid of them as nobody wanted one. The Turmoil label is another one I have never seen before. I suppossed if I lived in Canada I would have more choice of finding them too but sadly the UK is a long way away ;)

I once had five of them (Inca Gold) and yes they were Zellers. I couldn't get rid of them as nobody wanted one. The Turmoil label is another one I have never seen before. I suppossed if I lived in Canada I would have more choice of finding them too but sadly the UK is a long way away ;)

Five of them?? You could have made a killing over here to anyone that cares about Zellers carts. Have you ever seen a Space Adventure though?

Thanks Rom, I try to give as much information as I can for those people who are getting into our hobby. I remember all the interesting threads here that I read before I joined AA, and I hope people enjoy looking at this one.

Very nice, I still need 7 more boxed Zellers games to finish off my collection.

:cool: :ponder: :sad:

I need all eighteen of them myself, hee, hee. If I were to pull out my crystal ball and predict what boxes that you needed I would say an Inca Gold, Busy Police, Farmer Dan, Turmoil, Sea Hawk, Scuba Diver, and Space Adventure. How close am I?

Time Warp (NTSC) = Funvision's Time Race (PAL) *This is the one I find to be the most confusing to figure out. I'm not 100% sure on this one as I don't know PAL carts that well.

Let me explain this:

Time Warp from Zellers is the same game as Time Warp from Funvision (of which two different versions exist: a T-handle version and a Zellers-like version):

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...ID=15456&MENU=2

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...ID=15454&MENU=2

But it's also the same game as Time Race from (again!) Funvision:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...ID=12652&MENU=2

Hence the confusion.

Funvision is a tough nut to crack.

These carts were all produced by the same little known manufacturer that has been labelled as "Taiwan Cooper". They were available in Europe, Mexico, etc. What makes a Zellers cart a Zellers cart though is the distinction on the box. Zellers carts have their logo in the top right hand corner. Otherwise there is no difference (well their are variations in the fat and thin texts on the end labels of the carts, as well as I have a Time Warp & Laser Volley with shells that have unique grips on the side, but that is a story for another thread). There are also tons of look alike cartridges that have the same artwork, and different names on the end label. For example Laser Volley is also seen as Laaser Voley. Until I see a Zellers logo box with that title it doesn’t really exist for me. it's too easy to mix up with the other Taiwan Cooper pirates that were sold apart from Zellers. What I'm looking for is the Zellers logo on the box to prove it's an Zellers cart. This is a Scuba Diver box is from Sly. The Zellers logo appears on it in the top right hand corner where as any other Taiwan Cooper box from another country will have that area left blank.

Small correction:

Zellers boxes have nothing in common with Taiwan (Cooper Black) boxes.

I think you mean the Taiwan (2600 Compatible) boxes and the Funvision (Zellers-style) boxes.

Here's an example of a Funvision (Zellers style) box:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...ERSION_ID=15440

Here's an example of a Taiwan (2600 compatible) box:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...VERSION_ID=8241

And this is a typical Taiwan (Cooper Black) cart and box:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...ERSION_ID=11801

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Five of them?? You could have made a killing over here to anyone that cares about Zellers carts. Have you ever seen a Space Adventure though?

In answer to your question no I haven't until you showed one on this thread. You would be surprised how many Inca Golds turn up from Germany in bulk lots. As I stated earlier I had trouble getting rid of them but then I wasn't aware that they were so valuable in Canada ;)

In answer to your question no I haven't until you showed one on this thread. You would be surprised how many Inca Golds turn up from Germany in bulk lots. As I stated earlier I had trouble getting rid of them but then I wasn't aware that they were so valuable in Canada ;)

Its not really that they are expensive her ein Canada as Canada is where they are from. Its the USA market that drives up the price as Zellers carts are Canadian exclusives so for our USA friends to get them its ALOT harder than it is for use Canadians.

That's good Rom, that straighten's everything up. Foxsolo were all those Inca Gold PAL carts then? That would explain the difference in rarity.

This might be a good time to talk about variations. There are various "fat" and "thin" end label varations on Tawain Compatible carts.

Here are examples of fat labels for Inca Gold, Time Warp, Pinball, and a thin label Challenge:

post-7074-1145977716_thumb.jpgpost-7074-1145977741_thumb.jpg

I have only seen Busy Police and Circus in the fat label style. If anyone owns any thin ones please post some pics.

Sparker Gordon is known to be PAL.

That's good Rom, that straighten's everything up. Foxsolo were all those Inca Gold PAL carts then? That would explain the difference in rarity.

In answer to your question I have no idea. My 4 Ataris had no trouble playing virtually every game I owned no matter if they came from the US, UK, Europe, South America or OZ. All the Inca Golds as well as the other Zellers I owned played perfectly well ;)

Just to chip in 2 (Canadian) cents..

The carts you call 'Zellers' carts were actually made - in Taiwan probably - and distributed all around the world. Zellers just happened to be one of the resellers - and indeed the only reseller that printed their name on the box of these pirates, as far as I know.

This means that you can't actually prove a cart is a Zellers cart because there's no such thing - there are Zellers boxes and there are carts that happened to be sold by Zellers, but that's like saying an unbranded cart is a Walmart cart because it happens to come from there. I suspect a lot of 'Zellers' carts even in Canada had nothing whatsoever to do with Zellers.

This is why there's loads of carts in the same style that have never been anywhere near North America, let alone Zellers - carts like Peetfal and Reever Raad for instance. There's particularly a load in Australia, I believe, in the same style.

Oh, and Taiwan Cooper are completely different - that's the name given to the black label you get so commonly in Germany.

Preachifying over. :)

Just to chip in 2 (Canadian) cents..

The carts you call 'Zellers' carts were actually made - in Taiwan probably - and distributed all around the world. Zellers just happened to be one of the resellers - and indeed the only reseller that printed their name on the box of these pirates, as far as I know.

This means that you can't actually prove a cart is a Zellers cart because there's no such thing - there are Zellers boxes and there are carts that happened to be sold by Zellers, but that's like saying an unbranded cart is a Walmart cart because it happens to come from there. I suspect a lot of 'Zellers' carts even in Canada had nothing whatsoever to do with Zellers.

This is why there's loads of carts in the same style that have never been anywhere near North America, let alone Zellers - carts like Peetfal and Reever Raad for instance. There's particularly a load in Australia, I believe, in the same style.

Oh, and Taiwan Cooper are completely different - that's the name given to the black label you get so commonly in Germany.

Preachifying over. :)

I couldn't agree more Spirantho. That's why I'm hesitant to call any Zellers cart a Zellers cart unless I see a box. AA lists the style of these carts under "Taiwan Simple" for carts that are not proven to be Zellers. Atarimania calls them "Taiwan 2600 Compatible". The Taiwan Cooper was my bad.

Most of the Taiwan 2600 Compatible carts do have strange names like you have said. I don't think Reever Raad and Peetfal would sell to well in an English/French speaking country. Then again quality control wasn't this Taiwan company's strong point. If a bunch of them pop up in NTSC with strange names from Canada they could either be Mexican pirates that have come up north or mislabeled Zellers carts (mislabeled from where they produced in Taiwan). I would say the later is more likely. From what I have seen in the wild here though I would wager 99% of all these Taiwan carts in Canada were sold through Zellers. Myself I only count what I have seen a box for. For reference this is what a Taiwan Cooper cart looks like:

post-7074-1145984880_thumb.jpg

very nice :)

I'm from Canada and zeller cart are not really rare here :)

My uncle got over 10 zeller cart in a yard sale for me a few year back. He got a good deal at 10$ for the cart and instruction. for an other 5$ he could have had all the box but he said to the woman that he did not want the box :sad: :sad: so the woman put the box aside and I'm sure at the end of the day she just put the box in the garbage....so for an extra 5$ I could have had over 10 zellers box.

I also remember traded 9 zellers games for waterworld to someone here.

I think a lot of Zellers boxes went in the garbage as they are not much to look at.

Here are two Taiwan 2600 Compatible variations. The Laser Volley came from the US, and the Time Warp came from Canada through a re-seller. I wouldn't classify either as Zellers variations for those reasons.

post-7074-1145995179_thumb.jpgpost-7074-1145995137_thumb.jpgpost-7074-1145995122_thumb.jpg

Does anyone else have carts with grips like these? I've only ever seen the flat sided type before like this:

post-7074-1145995398_thumb.jpg

Thanks Rom, I try to give as much information as I can for those people who are getting into our hobby. I remember all the interesting threads here that I read before I joined AA, and I hope people enjoy looking at this one.

Very nice, I still need 7 more boxed Zellers games to finish off my collection.

:cool: :ponder: :sad:

I need all eighteen of them myself, hee, hee. If I were to pull out my crystal ball and predict what boxes that you needed I would say an Inca Gold, Busy Police, Farmer Dan, Turmoil, Sea Hawk, Scuba Diver, and Space Adventure. How close am I?

You should get some lotto tickets this weekend, you got all the ones I need.

:-o :-o :-o