IGNORED

Atari800WinPlus 4.1 (2.0.2)

miker

This is odd. On one PC it works fine. Didn't even care where I put the executable as it found all the config information from my 4.0 installation.

On the other machine nothing at all happens. Double click on it, the icon blinks, then nothing.

Both are Windows 98SE machines. [What can I say? I own old Ataris and old PCs :ponder: ].

Well, at least I have a way to test.

I have a followup to the the request for what was changed.

Is there a master change list existing somewhere? one which describes changes for every official revision of Atari800 and/or Atari800Win Plus?

I'm mostly interested in changes from 2.6 onward.

- Steve Sheppard

[Oops! Double post and no way to delete! Sorry!]

This is odd. On one PC it works fine. Didn't even care where I put the executable as it found all the config information from my 4.0 installation.

On the other machine nothing at all happens. Double click on it, the icon blinks, then nothing.

Both are Windows 98SE machines. [What can I say? I own old Ataris and old PCs :ponder: ].

Well, at least I have a way to test.

I have a followup to the the request for what was changed.

Is there a master change list existing somewhere? one which describes changes for every official revision of Atari800 and/or Atari800Win Plus?

I'm mostly interested in changes from 2.6 onward.

- Steve Sheppard

Edited by a8isa1

If you are interested in changes between Atari800Win 2.6 and Atari800Win PLus 4.1 then you can assume that they are completely different emulators, period.

If you really want to browse hundreds kilos of changes, then the changes in Atari800 are in its DOC directory (source package or CVS) and changes in Atari800Win/PLus are in its help file.

If you are interested in changes between Atari800Win 2.6 and Atari800Win PLus 4.1 then you can assume that they are completely different emulators, period.

If you really want to browse hundreds kilos of changes, then the changes in Atari800 are in its DOC directory (source package or CVS) and changes in Atari800Win/PLus are in its help file.

Er, hundreds of kilos? I guess not. The "what's new" notes in the help file are good enough. I never noticed them before [slaps head, knocks glasses to the floor...]

Thanks.

For everyone interested in development of the emulator:

I'm now playing with the new mode for stretching the screen using the magnification filter found on www.hiend3d.com

I've now implemented this for windowed modes 672x480 (2 x magnification).

I would like to see comments about the quality and speed of this filter. How fast CPU is necessary for that?

The zipped exe attached...

P.S. The sound is messed up. I'm not sure if it is fault of atari800 or WinPLus.

Atari800WinPLus.zip

For everyone interested in development of the emulator:

I'm now playing with the new mode for stretching the screen using the magnification filter found on www.hiend3d.com

I've now implemented this for windowed modes 672x480 (2 x magnification).

I would like to see comments about the quality and speed of this filter. How fast CPU is necessary for that?

The zipped exe attached...

P.S. The sound is messed up. I'm not sure if it is fault of atari800 or WinPLus.

Fine!... but only HiEnd Smooth option cause noise with the music background. I tested with Space Harrier demo. Digitized voice not sounds, only I hear garbage.

P.D. I have a Atlon 1200 with ATI 8500 AIW video card. The noise is because this HiEnd mode forced my machine at the limit. ***

Edited by Allas

Here are images from game "Ninja" using no filter, filter smooth and Hiend filter. It is taken using laoo palette. In normal mode (which I prefer) you can count pixels :) . In smooth image is not sharp, like using very old TV set. Personally I don't like it, longer playing is tiring fo eyes. With the third metod picture is ... weird. Smooth as in hi-res. Just take a look at the mountains. The stars (shurikens) are now so smooth that becomes almost squares. The Ninja sword becomes now a solid line, as in original we can see that it consist of three pixels. Fonts also get non-Atari looks, like vector fonts. Image is generally sharp, but not always. As we can see Ninja is unsharp, and edges are even more blured than in smooth mode. Probably it is caused by the fact that colors of the bacground (dark grey) is similar to Ninja color (black). Changing palette to brighter and more contrastive (for example Default palette) eliminate this fault.

About the speed. I tested it on Pentium 4 processor at 2,4 GHz with integrated graphic chip (Intel). This machine has enough power to draw this mode. I think some slower computers should also handle it. I run it on full speed of emulation and I get following speeds:

770% for Normal mode

710% for smooth mode (only a little slower, less then 10 %)

240% for Hiend mode (about 3 times slower than smooth)

imagenormal4yp.png

imagesmooth8hf.png

imagehiend0wf.png

Edited by urborg

O.K. Thanks for testing.

So the only one question that remains is: should I remove this filter because it will be unused feature or leave it like that. Or maybe also I should implement magnification filters 3x and 4x. Or wait until Pentium 10GHz will be freely available :)

What would be better jaskier is to 'loose' some of the full sceen modes and implement a couple more 'windowed modes'

Possible suggestion would be 480/400, 520/480 or 400, 400/300

My question is...how any of us are using full screen mode anyway ( certainly don't)

Also a couple of interlacing modes, if you've ever seen the title/end screen for Mr proper (demo) you'll know what i mean