IGNORED

In Development: Asteroids clone

The question:

What format(s) would you like to see the game on?

And the answer :-) :

I'll most likely also provide an .xex file.

I'm still thinking about a 5200 "Deluxe" version with rotating Asteroids and other enhancements. Steve "Classics" Tucker has a bank-switched 5200 cart that would allow such enhancements.

Is it possible to do the same for 8-bit Atari with extended memory?

The question:

I'm still thinking about a 5200 "Deluxe" version with rotating Asteroids and other enhancements. Steve "Classics" Tucker has a bank-switched 5200 cart that would allow such enhancements.

Yes, it should be. It would be cool if the 8-bit version could detect if you were running an XL/XE or extended memory and if so, take advantage of it. Otherwise you'd get the plain Jane version. That, to me, would be ideal.

tjb

Checked out the video, pretty neat!

Pulse bombs are pretty cool, but maybe their range should be reduced a little?

Thanks. I can reduce the range. Too much? Should you start out with 3 or should you have to earn them (by collecting powerups)?

tjb

Cool! I like the new features you're adding. Are you still going to have traditional and "enhanced" modes for game play?

Did you ever consider doing this with single pixels, as opposed to double (Maybe this was discussed. I haven't read the entire thread)? Was the artifacting too heavy? The reason I ask, is because you get more of that "vector" arcade game look with single pixels.

Thanks. I can reduce the range. Too much? Should you start out with 3 or should you have to earn them (by collecting powerups)?

tjb

Well I'm not sure what to recommend. Other than looking at the video I have not really read the thread to get a better idea of what you are shooting for. That being said the pulse bombs, although cool, seem to me to be a bit to powerful to make them a readily accessable resource. So my first suggestion is to make the range for them a little smaller. The second would be either to limit them (limited non-repleneshing supply), or make it possible to earn more. Just make sure that earning them is not too easy.

It is really hard to gauge something like that without actually playing the game to get a feel for what would keep it challenging without being insanely difficult.

Cool! I like the new features you're adding.

Thanks. I really appreciate the support and interest.

Are you still going to have traditional and "enhanced" modes for game play?

I hadn't considered that but I could offer a more traditional mode along with an enhanced mode with the new features.

Did you ever consider doing this with single pixels, as opposed to double (Maybe this was discussed. I haven't read the entire thread)? Was the artifacting too heavy? The reason I ask, is because you get more of that "vector" arcade game look with single pixels.

To be honest I tried to avoid the artifacting from the get go and really didn't try single pixel. I'll try it and post the results.

tjb

tjb

Well I'm not sure what to recommend. Other than looking at the video I have not really read the thread to get a better idea of what you are shooting for. That being said the pulse bombs, although cool, seem to me to be a bit to powerful to make them a readily accessable resource. So my first suggestion is to make the range for them a little smaller. The second would be either to limit them (limited non-repleneshing supply), or make it possible to earn more. Just make sure that earning them is not too easy.

It is really hard to gauge something like that without actually playing the game to get a feel for what would keep it challenging without being insanely difficult.

At present you start out with 3 pluse bombs and can only obtain more by collecting the pulse bomb powerup. Initially my thought was to not start with any and make the player earn them. I'm thinking that is the better way to go. Thanks for the comments.

tjb

The question:

The question:

For a file-based version it would certainly be feasible.

tjb

Edited by tjb

• 2 months later...

What is the latest with this game. Something I have starting to wonder about. Is it possible to add an option of using a single pixel wide lines instead of 2 pixels with? I know you are doing to keep it look good to avoid artifacting on a tv screen. But for those of us that use S-Video, chroma-luma displays, or play on an emulator, single line mode would look great.

What is the latest with this game. Something I have starting to wonder about. Is it possible to add an option of using a single pixel wide lines instead of 2 pixels with? I know you are doing to keep it look good to avoid artifacting on a tv screen. But for those of us that use S-Video, chroma-luma displays, or play on an emulator, single line mode would look great.

Things have slowed down a bit. I moved to a different job about 2 1/2 months ago and it turned out to be a bad move. Lately I have been working on getting a new job. I should have an offer letter within the next week so things should be getting back to normal soon. It's probably too late for a Rasteroids release by Christmas but I would at least like to release a beta by then.

I was thinking about your question about the single vs. 2 pixel wide option and I may be able to have the image data stored as single pixel and then simply render double pixels for those who would prefer it that way.

Right now I have a pretty complete basic Asteroids game but I'd really like to have some additional features. The plan is to have a comet that can't be destroyed but might be diverted by multiple hits and two player simultaneous (both combat and co-operative) mode. I would also like to have rotating Asteroids. That said, what sort of things would you guys like to see? Also, would you rather me put out a 32K version with less features almost immediately or would you rather wait for a version that uses the additional XL/XE memory and a 5200 version that makes use of the Atarimax 512K cartridge?

Thanks!

tjb

32K?

Do you mean a 32K cartridge image?

I don't see much point making the game fit into 32K RAM.

Anyone semi-serious about the Atari would own a real machine with at least 48K.

And since we have emulators, I see little problem with a game that demands 64K or more.

32K?

Do you mean a 32K cartridge image?

I don't see much point making the game fit into 32K RAM.

Anyone semi-serious about the Atari would own a real machine with at least 48K.

And since we have emulators, I see little problem with a game that demands 64K or more.

Right now the game is under 32K (I still have a about 3K or so left and could probably free more as well) for the 5200. The 8-bit and 5200 versions are the same.

tjb

Kinda forgot about the 5200 there.

Maybe do two (or 3) versions.

A 32K 5200 cart would translate to 48K RAM loadable for the computers anyway.

I guess 64K and 128K would allow adding lots of extra animation frames - probably a must if you want rotating objects.

How about something like a double ship, kinda like Space Duel?

Maybe extra types of ammo. Something like a bomb which is fired, then you release the button to detonate it and it destroys an area of about 20% of the screen.

• 7 months later...
Any news for 2008?

I'm afraid there's nothing to report. I would really like to get back to it. The last thing I was working on was 2 player support. Work has been eating up quite a bit of my time.

tjb

Any news for 2008?

I'm afraid there's nothing to report. I would really like to get back to it. The last thing I was working on was 2 player support. Work has been eating up quite a bit of my time.

tjb

Fair enough... just curious. :) BTW, is there a demo available?

Any news for 2008?

tjb

Fair enough... just curious. :) BTW, is there a demo available?

I have yet to release any sort of demo. But hey since you asked, here's a teaser 5200 demo:

rast5200.bin

Please note that while it is stable it does have numerous timing issues (i.e. things speed up and slow down). Enjoy and thanks for your interest. Your post actually got me going on it again. :) I was afraid I'd be really rusty (on assembly) but I guess it's like riding a bicycle - you never forget. The long hiatus away from it now has me fresh and enthused again.

tjb

P.S. Here's a quick run down of the controls:

top fire button - fire

bottom fire button - activate shield

start, pause, reset - self explanatory

any number on the keypad - activate hyperspace

stick left - rotate left

stick right - rotate right

stick forward - thrust

stick back - flip 180 degrees

Edited by tjb

Thanks for the demo. Aside from the timing issues, it looks very good. I particularly like the explosion animations.

Observations:

Playfield feels slightly cramped. I compared the Atari and MAME in full screen, and the difference seems to be in the size of the rocks and vertical playfield size. Additionally, a little room could be gained by moving the player "ships remaining" onto the same line as the "scoring".

Rock A.I. needs some improvement. (just kidding ;))

Thanks for the demo. Aside from the timing issues, it looks very good. I particularly like the explosion animations.

Observations:

Playfield feels slightly cramped. I compared the Atari and MAME in full screen, and the difference seems to be in the size of the rocks and vertical playfield size. Additionally, a little room could be gained by moving the player "ships remaining" onto the same line as the "scoring".

Rock A.I. needs some improvement. (just kidding ;))

Thanks for the comments. I need to see about adjusting the size of the rocks (among other things). Originally the asteroids had full use of the entire screen but personally I didn't like the fact that playfield objects could be in the same spot as the score and ship display. To me it made it difficult at times to check the score and/or ships remaining. Perhaps I can give the ship/score display priority so that other playfield objects appear to pass under the ship/score display rather than just EORing with it (like everything else). I can also try moving the ships remaining and shield time remaining to the same line as the score as you suggested.

tjb