IGNORED

TAKEN: 5200 4-Port Console, 2 Controllers, Kangaroo Cart

I picked up a 5200 4-port console at a thrift store and would like to trade or sell it to someone who can make use of it. There is no power supply or RF switchbox. This style is made to have the power supply plug into the RF switchbox. The case is in very good shape; the only noteworthy flaws being a few scratches on the aluminum and an area near the front center where it looks like the plastic got lightly melted by something hot and textured, or perhaps some vinyl plasticizer transfer, but it's not too severe and may even be repairable if you're a model builder or something like that.

post-6315-1149055113_thumb.jpg

This console has 4 controller ports, full expansion port and socketed ICs so is probably one of those that has few game compatibility issues.

EDIT (August 7): I also have a Kangaroo cartridge and a pair of controllers with it. Both controllers are well used and have no rubber boots, but still have the pink protective plastic over the metal "Atari 5200" logo strip. Today, I was able to test everything by making a temporary power connection directly to the motherboard. Although the controller contacts were dark from oxidation, by cleaning them with a pencil eraser I was able to get them working quite well. The console and cartridge seem to work just fine, too.

Please make offers. If interested in a trade, follow link in my sig for my wants (all my wants are 2600 related).

Edited by A.J. Franzman

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
controlers work?

I have not tested any of it (EDIT: now tested, work OK). However, I did take a closer look at the controllers last night and now I would have to say that they are definitely used.

I'm not a 5200 collector, and AFAIK have never played one. This is the second incomplete one that I've stumbled upon at what I thought was a bargain price, but like the first it's been sitting here taking up space and I've had a hard time getting anyone to take it off my hands. I think in the future I'll just have to look the other way whenever I see one, unless it's free.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Have you had multiple offers or have you had trouble getting anyone to take it off your hands? EBay it... it will sell.

I just had a 5200 deal fall through because of shipping. That is the killer with these consoles, really.

So far I've had three offers: one person who made a nice offer for the controllers alone, another who offered to trade non-Atari stuff that I don't really need for either the whole lot or just the console, and one other person. Right now I'm thinking, "Door number 3?" :ponder:

Heh. I say you eBay it, although, with no power supply, it could be a tough sell there, too... and you have to hassle with all the eBay doesn't have to offer. :)

5200s are definately in demand and seem to command more of a premium than either 2600 or 7800 systems on eBay. They're *hard* to find in the wild. I wish I could stumble on 5200 systems like you are describing.

For awhile I was picking stuff up with alturistic motives... I just recently passed by a Sega Control Yoke style joystick for the Sega CD32, a Super Nintendo controller, and a um... some later Nintendo controller at a local thrift. I'm not interested in them... but if someone here was, I would pick them up and send them for my cost plus shipping, just to keep them out of the landfills. But speculating on actually making money on these kind of things is always risky, at best, I've found.