IGNORED

Homebrew Puzzle Game Idea

Japanaman

Dear HomeBrewers,

I like PC games and I came up with an idea I've been working on with Game Maker 6. I like puzzle games like Dr. Mario, but none ever really use elements all that often, so I decided it's time for a puzzle game to really make you think and doesn't simply ask you to match colors. I have had trouble getting it to work in Game Maker, but it would make a perfect Atari 2600 game. I call it, Elemental Madness. The basis is this:

3 Fire beats ice. 3 Ice beats water. 3 Water beats fire. Add similar colors and they continue to stack up. Add Fire to water and it changes to water. Add ice to fire and it changes to fire. Add water to ice and it changes to ice. Every 20 blocks, a netural block (white) is released and can be used to destroy any stack. In 2 player modes, stone (gray) will be dropped every time an opponent outscores you.

The game can be played with paddles and you drop the blocks by holding down the fire button.

I would like to work with someone on this, but can only do sprite design. I must have a programmer willing to spend time........programming and willing to use the idea without changes except some appearance changes.

Let me know what you think and don't steal my idea because everyone here knows who it came from.

emadness.bmp

I would like to work with someone on this, but can only do sprite design. I must have a programmer willing to spend time........programming and willing to use the idea without changes except some appearance changes.

Let me know what you think and don't steal my idea because everyone here knows who it came from.

Uhm... :ponder:

At least Japanaman has started working on a screenshot. Japanaman, if you can make your screenshot more Atari 2600 like, people may be more willing to at least pay attention to your idea. Here's a hint: look at screenshots of actual games that contain words, and pay attention to the width of the text. Also the bricks will be more workable if they are 21 pixels long.

Always remember, homebrewing is a time-consuming process.

Edited by Zach

don't steal my idea because everyone here knows who it came from.

Consider yourself unbelievably lucky if someone actually uses your idea in a game at all, whether they "steal" it or not.

The only way you have even the slightest chance of getting their ideas made into a game is:

1. Your reward will be the knowledge that your idea was made and you've contributed to a homebrew project.

2. Don't expect to make a single cent from the game.

3. Do not consider it "your" project - it's not. It's the programmer's project, as he will be doing 99% of the work.

4. Don't expect credit. If you get any credit at all, don't expect more than a single line in the instructions, or if the programmer is feeling generous, your name may appear on a title screen.

If you don't agree to all 4 points above, your chances of finding a programmer are basically zero. If you agree to all of them, I'd say they might jump to 1%.

Sorry for the bad news, but this is reality. Although there is one exception: It can be "your" project if you bankroll the programmer, i.e. pay him for his time at a competitive rate. This will probably amount to a few thousand dollars. This is the only way you can ever expect to have any rights to the game. If you do this, I think your chances are good for getting your game made.

3 Fire beats ice. 3 Ice beats water. 3 Water beats fire. Add similar colors and they continue to stack up. Add Fire to water and it changes to water. Add ice to fire and it changes to fire. Add water to ice and it changes to ice. Every 20 blocks, a netural block (white) is released and can be used to destroy any stack. In 2 player modes, stone (gray) will be dropped every time an opponent outscores you.

First off, I'll play along a bit and ask for some clarification. How many blocks drop at once? How do you clear blocks? The concept is somewhat intriguing.

The game can be played with paddles and you drop the blocks by holding down the fire button.
If you are really set on using a spinner, use the driving controllers, not the paddles - they are much easier to code for.
I would like to work with someone on this, but can only do sprite design.

No offense, but (a) your sample screenshots don't inspire a lot of confidence in your mad sprite skillz and (b) what "sprites" are you planning to design for this game?

I must have a programmer willing to spend time........programming and willing to use the idea without changes except some appearance changes.
:rolling:

Oh man, you kill me. But seriously, if some programmer takes this on, he calls the shots, not you.

Let me know what you think...

Your idea is ok, though it doesn't seem completely thought through.

and don't steal my idea because everyone here knows who it came from.

:lol:

Yeah, you're sitting on a real goldmine there. :ponder: Really - if you don't want your idea "stolen," don't post it on a public forum on the internet. :roll:

Edited by vdub_bobby