IGNORED

Atari 2600 Platform game idea

Japanaman

Dear Homebrewers,

I'm sick of so many awful platformers out there. Pitfall was the only true good one on the Atari 2600, so it's time to homebrew an awesome new platformer. I want to take the Pitfall series and Paperboy series and combine them into a game I call "Going Postal" featuring Postal Pete. The game features a postal worker who must deliver as many letters as he can in a day within a time limit. Every mailbox Pete passes earns him $5, but apartment mailboxes earns him $50. He must jump over potholes, spraying fire hydrants, and avoid chasing dogs. If he falls in a manhole, he lives, but must pass up mailboxes to find a ladder. The background will slowly change from morning to sunset as the time changes from around 20 mins. to 0. You can't get killed, but every time you get hit, you will be stunned 5 seconds. Delivering a letter also takes 3 -10 secs. depending on the type of mailbox. The farther you get in the game, the more money you make. I have included a faked screenshot. I wish to change the background and I might add a bag on Pete's back.

If any homebrewer is interested, let me know. I had ideas for all sorts of traps and things.

Contact me at philhanan@yahoo.com if interested in it or Elemental Madness.

goingpostal.bmp

I remember a very similar idea from "Pitfall Philip" almost exactly one year ago. Seems your posts aren't here anymore, but they still appear in Google's cache.

We made a special topic for posts like that.

I will give you some credit - at least you didn't ask a programmer to work for free or demand a profits this time.

Regarding your idea - I'm not saying it's bad - a mailman game might be fun. But I looked at your mockups and I'll tell you right now that the 2600 cannot display the mockup you made without extreme flicker. I suggest doing a little inquiry into the limitations of the 2600.

Ya know i've never cared much for non-programmer idea junkies. The "Knight Rider 2600" game from Hardwork's "The Savage Team" is the first that comes to mind. Even with the help of a print shop professional who was warm to Basic, he couldn’t pull it off and made his way into the ash heap of AtariAge history.

That being said...

and acknowledging the fact that what batari says is true, the 2600 likely couldn’t handle your game without extreme flicker, and that’s if you’re lucky...

I must admit, your game concept certainly is not piss-poor like most of the other ones that come along. It actually sounds like it could be a fun little title. Much more involved than games like Climber 5, etc. Too bad it sounds as if you don’t know how to program.

This would make a great title on the 7800 which could definitely handle such a game. I'm sure it would do well on the 5200 & 8-Bit as well. But i wouldn’t waste your time trying to find a 2600 programmer.

Good luck!

I'll add my two cents... :D

First, your mockup and your concept kind of sound like just an involved hack of Pitfall. And, therefore, you should be posting this in the hacks forum.

Second of all, there are plenty of good platformers for the 2600. If you really think Pitfall! is the only good one you are crazy. Try Popeye, Pitfall II, Roadrunner, Montezuma's Revenge, Mountain King, H.E.R.O., Keystone Kapers, Adventures of Tron, Mario Bros., Xenophobe, Burgertime, and Frankenstein's Monster for starters. Then there are the homebrews: Fall Down, Climber 5, WIP Man Goes Down, Reindeer Rescue :ponder:, Hunchy, Hunchy II, Jetman, and probably more that I'm forgetting.

• 1 month later...
I moved the other thread into the trashcan some time ago.
Why was it trashed?
It contained just trash...
I didn't realize threads were being deleted. Is this common practice?

No. I just clean up here every once in a while, so this forum doesn't degenerate into a garbage collection.

Actually 95% I just move elsewhere, I only trash trash.

It doesn't reduce your postcount, if that's why you're asking? :)

It doesn't reduce your posting count, if that's why you're asking? :)
No, I don't care about my post count. I'm just surprised to learn that whole threads have been deleted.

They're not deleted. As I said above, they can be restored any time.

Perhaps "deleted from public view" is perhaps a better way to put it then.

Edited by Christophero Sly

Ah, c'mon - those are comedy gold! :D

Well, I already let it happen and remove it only after the show :lol:

But ok, here's the deal:

You guys talk Al into creating a "Best of Spam" forum and we'll collect everything there :)

(On second thought, it might attract all kind of idiots though... :ponder:)