IGNORED

Activision Anthology vs AA "remix"

jlh2600

Anyone know what the difference is in thse two? I have the black one- the original activision anthology for PC, but also saw something similiar called the "remix" version, while looking for an AA for GBA (which by the way, along with the PS version, does NOT have demon attack- mysteriously only the PC AA has Demon Attack, which I'd love some insight to as well).

NM found out why not on ps2 and gba versions- licensing issues, but that still doesn't make sense. why not licensing issues on pc?

Edited by jlh2600

Anyone know what the difference is in thse two?

I don't have the original Anthology so I can only comment on the inclusion of a couple of homebrew games on the remix edition.

Climber 5

Okie (Dokie)

Oystron

Space Treat Deluxe

Vault Assault

Video Euchre

Anyone know what the difference is in thse two? I have the black one- the original activision anthology for PC, but also saw something similiar called the "remix" version, while looking for an AA for GBA (which by the way, along with the PS version, does NOT have demon attack- mysteriously only the PC AA has Demon Attack, which I'd love some insight to as well).

NM found out why not on ps2 and gba versions- licensing issues, but that still doesn't make sense. why not licensing issues on pc?

Licensing issues are usually the correct answer and were in the case of the Anthology vs. Remix versions. In this case, the remix was done a year later and more time was available to get those extra games.

Off the top of my head, I honestly am not sure if Demon Attack was included in the GBA, but I know for a 100% fact that game is in the PS2 Anthology. I have it running at my desk right now and played it just yesterday.

The complete list of additional games included in the PC Remix version is:

ATLANTIS 2

BLOODY HUMAN FREEWAY

CLIMBER 5

COSMIC ARC

DRAGONFIRE

FATHOM

FIRE FIGHTER

LASER GATES

NO ESCAPE!

OKIE

OYSTRON

QUICK STEP

RIDDLE OF THE SPHINX

SHOOTIN' GALLARY

SKATEBOARDIN'

SKELETON+

SKY PATROL

SOLAR STORM

SPACE TREAT DELUXE

STAR VOYAGER

SUBTERRANEA

TRICK SHOT

VAULT ASSAULT

VENETIAN BLINDS

VIDEO EUCHRE

WING WAR

PROTOTYPE 1

PROTOTYPE 2

No Imagic games in Activision Anthology for GBA. It does have Skateboardin', Venetian Blinds, the unknown activision prototypes, and the homebrews mentioned above, though. However, oddly enough, Climber 5 in the GBA Anthology seems to be an earlier version that only has a training mode and a mode that is like the Atari 8 bit version.

Edited by BrianC

The only real difference the remix edition offers is more games. The remix also has fewer background songs than the first release, some of which aren't even by the original artists. However, the new release makes up for that by allowing you to create your own playlists, or you can import playlists saved out of Winamp or any other program that uses the PLS format. The game even has Ogg Vorbis support (in addition to WAV and MP3 support), which I was very surprised and thrilled to see.

As for why the remix edition didn't come out for other platforms, while it's true that "licensing issues" is usually the correct answer, in this case I think it's just the result of marketing. Activision Anthology actually has three different publishers: Activision on the game consoles, Aspyr on the Game Boy Advance, and Mumbo Jumbo on the PC. Activision's release came first, featuring over 45 games, all from the Activision/Absolute/Imagic library. My guess is that once Aspyr was granted permission to publish a Game Boy Advance port, they decided it would make for good marketing to acquire a few more games from the Activision vault, as well as a few homebrews that weren't (officially) available elsewhere. Then, Mumbo Jumbo carried that idea even further, raiding the Activision vault for pretty much everything available (excepting only some games that would have required extra licensing, like Ghostbusters and Rampage) as well as those same homebrews.

Edited by skunkworx

Activision Anthology actually has three different publishers: Activision on the game consoles, Aspyr on the Game Boy Advance, and Mumbo Jumbo on the PC.

There's a Mac version of Activision Anthology Remix from MacPlay that has the exact same games as the PC one. http://www.macplay.com/games/g.anthology.php Aspyr is a division of MacPlay, so Aspyr was behind that one too. I'm not sure if Mumbo Jumbo is related in any way to Aspyr or MacPlay, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

Edited by BrianC

Off the top of my head, I honestly am not sure if Demon Attack was included in the GBA, but I know for a 100% fact that game is in the PS2 Anthology. I have it running at my desk right now and played it just yesterday.

Man am I confused now. Ok, I am not doubting you, if you have your PS2 AA in your hands, and you are playing Demon Attack, then it has Demon Attack- but before I put a bid on one yesterday, I emailed the seller to make sure- so he looked at the actual box, and said Demon Attack is NOT listed. Could it be that there are two versions of PS2 AA out there? ONe with and one without the Imagic titles? I bought the gba version anyways, knowing that it doesn't have DA, but if you have a PS2 version that includes it, I want to find that version. Thanks.

Man am I confused now. Ok, I am not doubting you, if you have your PS2 AA in your hands, and you are playing Demon Attack, then it has Demon Attack- but before I put a bid on one yesterday, I emailed the seller to make sure- so he looked at the actual box, and said Demon Attack is NOT listed.

The PS2 and XBox cases do not list all the games actually in the game console versions.