IGNORED

Super Mario Bros. 2 intro possible on 2600?

atari2600land

I was playing SMB2 a little while ago and it struck me that the intro level for 1-1 (the falling part before the first door) may be possible to program for the Atari 2600. There's no screen-scrolling, the background is black, and with these pictures = gray line - top/bottom screen borders, stick in my sprite for a Shyguy and copy the sprite of Mario from Donkey Kong, and this could be playable. What do you think?

post-9475-1150069413_thumb.png

post-9475-1150069424.png

If we're talking just this intro section here (Which would have little reason to be done if you ignore the majority of the game right ;)) then yeah it could probably be doable although if the shyguy was to be thrown down to the bottom screen then you'll already have flicker issues to deal with between the door/mario/shyguy - unless the door was to be taken out and left black with the background color.

• 4 weeks later...

I did this using Batari 2600 BASIC. This is just a demo, but I'd like to see some enemies and jumping ability in here. Once you fall down to the bottom, go to the door and press up to go in it. Also like in SMB2, at the bottom, once you go all the way to the right, you'll end up back at the left side and vice versa.

smb2.bas.bin

smb2.bas

I did this using Batari 2600 BASIC. This is just a demo, but I'd like to see some enemies and jumping ability in here. Once you fall down to the bottom, go to the door and press up to go in it. Also like in SMB2, at the bottom, once you go all the way to the right, you'll end up back at the left side and vice versa.

LOL! Hey why not go do the first game bfore starting on this?!? :D

Heres my take on how Mario could look like in any 2600 using the 8 block width size only. Hope this helps anyone out. :cool:

Hey, the second from the right looks good! I think the newest unreleased version of bB 0.99 might support multicolored players (I know it supports multicolored playfields, anyway), in which case it would be possible to use that Mario in a bB game. :)

Michael Rideout