IGNORED

Critique this game concept

batari

All these bug-related games I've seen lately have gaven me my own idea for a game concept called "Roach Motel." Your job is to kill as many of the pests as you can. They just keep on coming, out from under the furniture or from the walls, so you're always busy stomping on them. Occasionally you'll get a can of bug spray (run into the red block when it appears) that will give you a few seconds of aerosol action. It's a little more effective than your boot.

So I whipped up this .bin in a couple of hours. I'm not sure if it will develop into something interesting. I'm looking for criticism, comments, suggestions for improvement, how to ramp up difficulty, and maybe an actual point to the game beyond the satisfaction of killing some virtual roaches... that kind of thing.

roachmotel.bin

Wow, thats a great demo - Nice idea! I like the pixel roaches. I think it struck a chord with me, 'cause roaches just killed my PS2!

Maybe the roaches need to have a goal - like eating your food, so food supplies go down, and if you aint got no food then its game over.

Or, like in my house now, the more roaches - the more depressed you get :)

You've already topped the roach stomping mini-game in Final Fight: Streetwise!

I think the game could use more complexity, in both its visuals and its gameplay. It'd be cool if the final version had floor tiles, or a border that looked like the walls inside a kitchen. Also, the hero could be redesigned to look like the big pink foot in those Monty Python cartoons.

As for ways to add complexity to the gameplay, I dunno... how about hazards like thumbtacks and mousetraps? Stomp on those by accident and you're history. Also, a time limit and a quota would be a good way to add tension and give the player some incentive to squish those roaches good.

JR

Interesting demo. Lots of potential I think.

Some of my random thoughts....

I think I would prefer it if the foot image was top down (the sole of the shoe) which would give you a little more precise control. It could change size to represent lifting up. It would let you squish more at one go.

Oddly enough, when playing it one of the first things that popped into my mind was it could be turned into a lemmings-esuqe game. Place objects on the floor to drive them in certain directions. The goal being to drive them out the door. "Roach Wrangler"? :roll:

Oddly enough, when playing it one of the first things that popped into my mind was it could be turned into a lemmings-esuqe game. Place objects on the floor to drive them in certain directions. The goal being to drive them out the door. "Roach Wrangler"? :roll:

Great idea. Kinda like A*Star or Puzznic only the roaches move by themselves or something.

Changes I'd make if I was making changes:

1. Add delicious food items on the right side of the screen.

2. Divide the game into waves.

2.b. Have a set number of roaches per wave.

2.c. Have each new wave contain more roaches.

3. Make the point of the game to kill all of the roaches before they eat your food.

I really like it. The gameplay is interesting, although I don't like the roach/shoe collisions. If you are using an "=" to compare x pos of the shoe and the roaches, it's too tight that way, you should use a "> && <" that covers the full width of the shoe. If that's already how you did it then I just suck at playing your demo.

If I could add stuff:

I'd make all the little roaches run together and turn into a player sprite of a big super roach, for a level boss.

I'd add an energy drink powerup that let's you move a little faster for a short period.