IGNORED

Identify this piece of Atari XL hardware

Beetle

Hello,

can someone tell me what device this is?

wazdiz.jpg

It has two switches in the back,and (like the data recorder) a SIO cable

directly mounted, no SIO port.

The front has a red and a green LED. Between them is a small slot, 43x3 mm.

There is no label on the device.

Regards,

Beetle

Is it yours?

Looks like someone's gone to the trouble to mod the case from a 1010 or 1050 to create an enclosure.

Maybe some sort of SIO2IDE flash card reader?

Dimensions of the slot are too small for a PS memory card, they're about 7 mm thick.

The top white piece seems to have an obvious rough cut where it joins the black.

Nice countersinks on the LED recesses, although one or both might already have been there.

No idea how the bottom piece was done - can't recall any peripheral of those dimensions ever coming out (limited release modem?)

Is it yours?

Looks like someone's gone to the trouble to mod the case from a 1010 or 1050 to create an enclosure.

Maybe some sort of SIO2IDE flash card reader?

Dimensions of the slot are too small for a PS memory card, they're about 7 mm thick.

Jep, you're right. :D

I was just kidding. I took apart an old, unusable 800XL case and with lots of

superglue i made this case to have an original looking XL series CF card reader.

Now i'm looking for a suitable name for my reader. Perhaps "ATARI 1055"?

I'll append a picture of the inside...

Regards,

Beetle

post-8944-1151511439_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beetle

I already put a SIO2IDE CF reader into a "Portfolio Carddrive HPC301", you might have read that.

The SIO2IDE Interface is as fast as a Speedy/Happy upgraded 1050 (57.000 Baud IIRC). Is there a transfer speed test program i can download?

My SIO2IDE Ver.3.3a emulates up to 5 Floppy drives. ATR images as used with emulators or SIO2PC/APE with up to 16Mbytes are stored on a FAT/FAT32 partition on the CF card.

The top white piece seems to have an obvious rough cut where it joins the black.

Nice countersinks on the LED recesses, although one or both might already have been there.

No idea how the bottom piece was done - can't recall any peripheral of those dimensions ever coming out (limited release modem?)

xlcf.jpg

The "rough cut" is actually clean, you see the border of the paint. The LED holes are handmade,

the brown frontpiece was a part of the "keyboard".

On the attached picture you can see, what parts i cut out. It was a lot of work to get this new case

together. Basically i took a piece of every corner of the case. As my old XL case was full of holes,

i had to take a piece from the bottom to become the new top.

It fits the XL design quite good, you need a close look to identify the fake...

Regards,

Beetle

post-8944-1151513713_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beetle

I see a LED in above the Reset on the 800xl. Is that for an internal MyIDE drive? Did you countersink the hole too? If its an internal MyIDE, who made it? Is it one of the new ones from Ken that plugs into the OS rom socket?

Nice CF reader. I was thinking of putting one on my 600xl. I would want it to make smooth cuts. What did you use to cut the plastic edges so smoothly?

No, the upper LED is just for displaying wether BASIC is enabled or not.

I did the rough work with a saw, the rest with a fine file (i hope i got the right word for the german "Feile") and 400er sandpaper.

Now i'm looking for a suitable name for my reader. Perhaps "ATARI 1055"?

Actually there is a real 1055. It was a prototype 3.5" drive for the XL line. There are a few prototypes out there.

That looks really neat though. I'd like one of those for my XL setup...

Tempest

I read about the 1055 prototype, too. I'll prefer to take a free number.

So, what about 1053 (105x are disk drives, my "drive" uses SIO2IDE interface ver. 3.3) or 1013 (the tape recorder is removable data storage, too).

Or is the different media type so important, that i need to look for a free 10x0 number? Are 1070 or 1080 unused?

Stupid question here, but wouldn't it have been easier to just build it into your 800XLs case.

But I suppose then you're stuck with only being able to use it on 1 machine.

Of course it would have been easier. Fact is, i had the old XL case but no use for it.

And i wanted the CF card drive to look as original as possible. Atari would have build

an external peripheral device, wouldn't they?

In the meantime the name "ATARI 1001" has been mentioned in the ABBUC forum.

The little number expresses the smallest SIO peripheral device ever.

I like it. So if no prototype with this label exists, i'll take it.

Regards,

Beetle

Edited by Beetle

Howdy Remo

I took apart an old, unusable 800XL case and with lots of

superglue i made this case to have an original looking XL series CF card reader.

That looks very cool - nice custom job. I'd love to have a CF/MyIDE device that looked like that for my setup ;)

It's not MyIDE based, it's SIO2IDE based.

Greetings

Mathy

I read about the 1055 prototype, too. I'll prefer to take a free number.

So, what about 1053 (105x are disk drives, my "drive" uses SIO2IDE interface ver. 3.3) or 1013 (the tape recorder is removable data storage, too).

Or is the different media type so important, that i need to look for a free 10x0 number? Are 1070 or 1080 unused?

1053 is taken too.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8BITS.../1050proto.html

Tempest

Howdy Remo

Yes Mathy. But beside that, remowilliams may love to have a MyIDE based device that looks like mine, ok?

Indeed. I'd love to have either that looked like that! :D

I guess it would be easier to have a SIO2IDE version that looks like that. As it uses a SIO cable. While a MyIDE based version would use a flatcable. But heck, you can get "round" flatcables in the "Pimp my PC" department of your local PC shop. :D

Greetings

Mathy

Your card reader looks great.

One idea I've had for a long time is a tower case with the looks of the XL line. You'ld probably have to canibalize a bunch of 800XLs and 1050s. You could put two 1050s on the top with a 800xl, ide harddrive, and a modem inside. If you had the room, you could even add a cassette drive verticly in the front like a stereo cassette player. Maybe add a compact flash port in front as well. If there's any room left inside, you could add a 850 and run all the printer and sio ports out the back. For a keyboard you could gut a 600XL and just use the case as a keyboard.

Allan

It looks very nice. I inserted my SIO2IDE into the SF314 floppy shell. Originally there was 2.5" drive, but after CF support was introduced I replaced the drive with CF2IDE converter.

post-2769-1151793712_thumb.jpg

Edited by krupkaj