IGNORED

Comming soon Mad Max!

Pac Munchkin

Hey everyone I just spent a few hours hacking this I call it Mad Max like the movie.

You are Mad Max driving in your black car after the creeps that ran over everyone you ever knew including your wife and baby daughter.

You were once an officer of the law but these creeps keep getting out and killing more people you are out to stop them from ever harming anyone else you are the Road Warrior!

They ride on their motor cycles towards you , you must run them down but watch out for the trucks if you hit too many trucks your car is destroyed and it's game over for you!

This is a work in progress right now I am working on.

It is looking pretty nice, although I wish I could do big sprites like in Activision's Grand Prix.

How they did that I don't know there is a limit 8 pixels wide for sprites.

But still I did make everything look pretty good I think, just smaller than what I would like to have made.

The trucks look cool!

I need to find out how to get rid of some of the shaking of Max's car.

It is hard since I am working against formerly 6 frames of animation so it can be any of those or all of those together.

I do have it down though it is not shaking nearly as much as when I first did it, wow then it was blinking in different places that was bad!

It is nearly done and turned out pretty good but I am going to need to spend a lot of time on the words in the game and get them to say something about Max.

Wade

I took snap shots of this game but do not know how to put them in here, I tried attachment but that attaches as a file, I tried insert image but that ask for a URL.

Oh well I do have photos but can't show them.

This is color hacked too it looks pretty nice.

Wade

Edited by Pac Munchkin

Here's a few screen, never actually played Fast Food so I'll save my game impressions for later :-)

I like the theme/idea of the hack though.

I like the way this one is turning out. Good idea!

Thanks Neo! :D

Everyone I am deeply honored and very pleased to announce Neo has joined me on this project, I was done with it, I did a lot of work to get that very many hours two days all night long into the morning hours even! lol

So I thought it was over but Neo showed me it can be so much better yet and has helped me.

He has ideas yet for it.

So here is the new improved Joint Pac Munchkin/Neotokeo2001 effort, he has taken a good hack and made it great.

I am very happy to share this effort he is a master hacker here, it is an honor as a beginner hacker to have this recognition.

The newest join effort Wade/Neo

Mad Max!

Wade

Mad_Max_Wade_Neo.bin

Neo Since you are in on this now is there a way to make the car, bikes and truck biger like what David Crane did in Grand Prix, or would that be a major re-witing on the program code to do that?

Wade

Without rewriting code there is no way to make the sprites bigger then they are in Fast Food.

You could always switch to a top-down view, but I like the side view better. I don't have a lot of time to work on this but I will try to make some intermission screens.

post-3832-1151885602_thumb.jpg

post-3832-1151885748_thumb.jpg

Edited by neotokeo2001

Neo Since you are in on this now is there a way to make the car, bikes and truck bigger like what David Crane did in Grand Prix, or would that be a major re-writing on the program code to do that?

Wade

Without rewriting code there is no way to make the sprites bigger then they are in Fast Food.

You could always switch to a top-down view, but I like the side view better. I don't have a lot of time to work on this but I will try to make some intermission screens.

post-3832-1151885602_thumb.jpg

post-3832-1151885748_thumb.jpg

No when I was first thinking on doing this I was trying to decide top down or sideways, and I felt and still do top down you lose a lot of detail, like those motor cycles I made, those went through 4 designs before I hit on the right combination.

The car was originally thinner because I didn't realize on the screen the spirits stretch a little when I realized that I made the car bigger to it's present state.

Same with the trucks I had to keep building them up and especially with the tires.

I was actually toying with the idea of color bikes and still tossing it around but hadn't tried it because in the movie everything was dark dreary and colorless just the color of old metal.

however in the game having all the bikes look like that felt something was missing, so when I saw your colors on the bikes I do really like that it improves it.

Your tire rotation gave me the idea to take that farther using all six frames I thought of how to make them even better. I have to say I was feeling this hack was not as good as my ET's Candy Bars or Pac Munchkin, because I felt it was done and ran out of ideas. I am so glad you are helping me because this is really ending up a awesome hack!!!

Thanks and I love the box art you did excellent work! :D :cool:

Wade

Update: WIP May change

Here is a picture of the new Intermission Screen and a game screen with some new enemies.

post-3832-1151983178_thumb.jpg

post-3832-1151983193_thumb.jpg

Still working on the Game Over Screen

The Hockey Mask is The Humungus, The Leader of the Bad Guys.

Mad Max: I'm just here for the gasoline.

The Humungus: I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war.

post-3832-1151983418_thumb.jpg

Edited by neotokeo2001

Update: WIP May change

Here is a picture of the new Intermission Screen and a game screen with some new enemies.

post-3832-1151983178_thumb.jpg

post-3832-1151983193_thumb.jpg

Still working on the Game Over Screen

The Hockey Mask is The Humungus, The Leader of the Bad Guys.

Mad Max: I'm just here for the gasoline.

The Humungus: I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war.

post-3832-1151983418_thumb.jpg

Oh no I don't like the cars, just the motor cycles like the movie, the truck was just like the movie that war machine as a matter of fact I was thinking of putting some riders sitting on top of the truck just like the movie had.

I love the intermission screen though, that is really cool!

Wade

I just tried the screen goes nuts on me and when I went to move it then the truck didn't show up at all. Since the graphics are limited the people would have looked like this.

That is one I was going to put three

Done in flesh color like the heads on the guys on the motor cycles.

the sprite must be too big with people sitting on top.

Wade

Edited by Pac Munchkin

I was adding some cars for variety The majority of the enemies are still bikes. Once the enemies are finalized I will go in and add higher point values for the cars. Oh, And there were more then just bikes in Mad Max. The cool cars were a big part of the show.

post-3832-1152014822_thumb.jpg

Edited by neotokeo2001

I was adding some cars for variety The majority of the enemies are still bikes. Once the enemies are finalized I will go in and add higher point values for the cars. Oh, And there were more then just bikes in Mad Max. The cool cars were a big part of the show.

post-3832-1152014822_thumb.jpg

Oh wow those like dune buggy cars I forgot about those!

Yes those would be cool, more points for the cars now that is a cool idea.

I still need to work on the people sitting on top the truck but haven't the time right now.

unless you can get that but I'll work on it if not that is cool either way.

Wade

This looks really cool, and is a game license I was always surprised never made it to being published back in the day. I know *every* kid I knew wanted some sort of car-wars/autoduel/Mad Max sort of game, and really other than the CFRP "Autoduel", which was somewhat disappointing, there wasn't a lot that came out. There is that 7800 title that kind of catches the spirit... but somehow still misses.

So... a couple of purist observations.

Humungous was from Mad Max II, the Road Warrior. So were the buggies. Mad Max, the original, did not have Buggies.

But there WERE still other cars and car chases in Mad Max. In fact, Max chasing down the Night Rider at the beginning is the start of his conflict with The Toe Cutter and their motorcycle gang.

Max is actually a police officer throughout the first movie, until his wife is run down by the Toecutter's gang, at which point he becomes Mad Max, which coincides with the decline of the modern western society and civilization as we know it.

Why *hasn't* any big company ever licensed this title? This would work GREAT around the GTA engine.

Here is a small update.

Game Play

post-3832-1152466854_thumb.jpg

Intermission

post-3832-1152466844_thumb.jpg

Game Over Screen

post-3832-1152466888_thumb.jpg

Latest BIN:

Mad_Max_WIP_V2.bin

Wow Neo I like the new update, you have taken my hack farther than I ever thought the new score I love too! This has really become your hack now with all your changes.

Excellent job!

Thanks I like it it is still WIP yet?? Wow can't wait to see what you think of next.

I love the new Wreaked screen, the helicopter friend comes in to save the day wreaked but not yet dead I like that! :D

Oh one thing the counter for the trucks six does seem pushing it, if that could be set to start counting at 2 it would be 4 crashes and you are done.

Can you change that?

You didn't use my tire rotation idea though I thought that was good the tires actually looked like they were rotating.

I thought you would use that.

Wade

Wow Neo I like the new update, you have taken my hack farther than I ever thought the new score I love too! This has really become your hack now with all your changes.

Excellent job!

Thanks I like it it is still WIP yet?? Wow can't wait to see what you think of next.

I love the new Wreaked screen, the helicopter friend comes in to save the day wreaked but not yet dead I like that! :D

Oh one thing the counter for the trucks six does seem pushing it, if that could be set to start counting at 2 it would be 4 crashes and you are done.

Can you change that?

You didn't use my tire rotation idea though I thought that was good the tires actually looked like they were rotating.

Wade

I still have a few more changes that I want to make.

Change the Truck Hit indicator to a different color.

Tweak the Game Over/Crash Screens.

Tweak the bike colors.

Design a new Label

Write an instruction manual

I will see if I can find the hit indicator and reduce the number.

As for the tire rotation, I just prefer the simpler version. I can have a cart and instruction manual of the game sent to you when we are finished. Your version can be different from mine.

This looks really cool, and is a game license I was always surprised never made it to being published back in the day. I know *every* kid I knew wanted some sort of car-wars/autoduel/Mad Max sort of game, and really other than the CFRP "Autoduel", which was somewhat disappointing, there wasn't a lot that came out. There is that 7800 title that kind of catches the spirit... but somehow still misses.

Humungous was from Mad Max II, the Road Warrior. So were the buggies. Mad Max, the original, did not have Buggies.

But there WERE still other cars and car chases in Mad Max. In fact, Max chasing down the Night Rider at the beginning is the start of his conflict with The Toe Cutter and their motorcycle gang.

Max is actually a police officer throughout the first movie, until his wife is run down by the Toecutter's gang, at which point he becomes Mad Max, which coincides with the decline of the modern western society and civilization as we know it.

Why *hasn't* any big company ever licensed this title? This would work GREAT around the GTA engine.

I was thinking more of Mad Max II:The Road Warrior when I was working on this. Before Max meets up with the Refinery People. I forget if they had a name. I still don't know why someone hasn't made a real Mad Max game. Cars, Guns, Explosions, and Razor-bladed Boomerangs!! What's not to love??

Greetings from The Humungus! The Lord Humungus! The Warrior of the Wasteland! The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla!

I was thinking more of Mad Max II:The Road Warrior when I was working on this. Before Max meets up with the Refinery People. I forget if they had a name. I still don't know why someone hasn't made a real Mad Max game. Cars, Guns, Explosions, and Razor-bladed Boomerangs!! What's not to love??

Greetings from The Humungus! The Lord Humungus! The Warrior of the Wasteland! The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla!

Yes I agree we were thinking alike, I have only saw the original Max Max movie a few time Road Warrior I saw much more times, beyond Thunder Dome I saw most because for a long while every time you turned around it was on TV I think because of Tina Turner.

I could have swore his wife and kid getting ran over was at the beginning of Mad Max, my mistake it was the start of Road Warrior where he is driving into the forbidden zone I believe it was? That was what drove Max Insain Mad to go after those guys.

I remember the crazy guy with the mo hawk, I even remember him flying flipping through the air because his motorcycle hit something with him on it.

Wade

Excellent job!

Can you change that?

Wade

I still have a few more changes that I want to make.

Change the Truck Hit indicator to a different color.

Tweak the Game Over/Crash Screens.

Tweak the bike colors.

Design a new Label

Write an instruction manual

I will see if I can find the hit indicator and reduce the number.

As for the tire rotation, I just prefer the simpler version. I can have a cart and instruction manual of the game sent to you when we are finished. Your version can be different from mine.

Yes that was a big one for me, I wanted so bad to have the truck indicator be red like that wasn't a good idea to hit hat truck! LOL

I tried hard to find it I couldn't find it.

Do you like what I did with the score with the 0's I think it gives it a more classic look having the 0's show across plus it motivates you on wards saying you want to reach the next digit and the next and so on.

I found that just poking around in bit hacker.

What I saw all zero's I knew that was cool and decided to keep it.

Wow I would love a cartridge, to think something I started and inspired plus still much of my hack in place like the car and cycles and colors it is exciting to think of seeing that on a cartridge.

Maybe the manual could say something like Started and inspired by Wade Casaldi Finished and perfected by Neo.

I am glad you agree on the hit counter 6 is a lot feels like a beginner level, 4 seems good more like an arcade game.

I am very happy with the results so far.

Also all the new truck designs I keep seeing from you wow you keep getting ideas!

excellent work! :cool:

Wade

I could tell. :) This hack works for either concept, either way. And, the Road Warrior is by far and away the more popular of the trilogy. Oddly enough, the Mad Max story is actually a Christ story. They've had essays on this on the Net for far longer than Mel Gibson has made his fascination with Christianity public.

If Christ were THIS cool, I'd go to church, though. :D

Anyhow... I totally agree that this is a franchise that has been overlooked for 30 years, and that today's hardware could do a GREAT job of the game. Like I said, a Grand Theft Auto engine would drive a Mad Max game fantastic... and really has all the game logic you need (rival gangs, mini-missions, sprawling world, pedestrian and vehicle engines, flight...)

A 2600 version rocks too, though. :) Thanks for making it guys.