IGNORED

Mario Bros. 2 - WIP

atari2600land

Here's a version with an updated screen. Press down to duck when the Bullet Bills come towards you.

BTW, I renamed the game "Super Maria Sisters".

This is starting to shape up nicely, but you should add a few more screens. Here are two suggestions:

(1) At the beginning, let the plants come out of the pipes more slowly, as in your first version. When the player gets to the second screen, the Bullet Bills can move a little slowly, too. When the player gets past the Bullet Bills, there could be a third screen that requires some other trick to get through (i.e., the key to getting past the plants is to time your moves as you dodge under them, and the key to getting past the Bullet Bills is to time your ducks, so the third screen might involve climbing, the fourth screen might involve jumoing, etc.). After you complete one cycle of screens, they start over with the plants, then the Bullet Bills, etc.-- except that things get a little bit faster with each new cycle of screens.

(2) Since the player's sprite is facing in a particular direction, you could use the player reflect mode to make the sprite face the other way when the player is moving in the other direction-- something like this:

if joy0left then REFP0 = 8 : player0x = player0x - 1
  if joy0right then REFP0 = 0 : player0x = player0x + 1

The REFP0 register controls whether the player0 sprite is reflected or not. When you set it to 8, it tells the Atari to draw player0 "backwards" or reflected. When you set it to 0, it tells the Atari to draw player0 normally, or not reflected. :)

Michael Rideout

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been working on this some more, but I'm going to be going to bed in a few hours. I've added a third screen where the trick is avoiding flying umbrellas that pour down. I've slowed down the plants, but the Bullet Bills I've got moving on their own like this:

c=c-1

if c<30 then c=120

So I don't know how to slow that down.

I put in the reflecting sprite thing, too, but since the sprite is so small, it's kinda hard to see that the sprite is reflected. Screen 4 will be the beginning of a castle (I've used up half of 4k already!) I'll post a newer version tomorrow morning with screen 3 and I'll work on screen 4 some more so that'll be in the next version I'll put up. Here's a screenshot of screen 3.

post-9475-1153372811_thumb.png

Hello. It's morning again (at least where I live), and here's a newer version, just like I promised last night. screen 4 has jumping ogres and if one jumps on you or if you run into one, you go back to screen 2. To use a door, press up once you get to one. The door in screen 4 doesn't work yet.

mariasistersv2a.bin

Hello. It's morning again (at least where I live), and here's a newer version, just like I promised last night. screen 4 has jumping ogres and if one jumps on you or if you run into one, you go back to screen 2. To use a door, press up once you get to one. The door in screen 4 doesn't work yet.

VERY VERY nice work!! All the best in completing this game to whatever extent you plan on going with it. I will buy a cart from you 100 percent!!

VERY VERY nice work!! All the best in completing this game to whatever extent you plan on going with it. I will buy a cart from you 100 percent!!

Thanks for the very nice compliment. When it's done, if you give me $17, I'll mail you a cart. I wish the price was cheaper, but that's what 8bitclassics charges. If you can find a cheaper price, by all means tell me. Anyway, hope to have this done in early August.

VERY VERY nice work!!...

Agreed! This is coming along nicely. You have improved your knowledge and experience of bBasic and it shows compared to your first game you posted a while back! :)

Only one suggestion I have for now: Are you planning to put more objects in the higher part of the screen? It seems a bit empty. Perhaps you could put another level you have to climb to( and avoid the plants popping out from both ends of the pipe, for example. )

Keep up the good work. :cool:

I couldn't think of any more interesting different screens, so I called it finished with about 600 bytes to spare. This final (or close to final anyway) build has screen 5 with fish to avoid and screen 6 is the fight with the evil Reswob. It's not really a fight, you just have to get past him and grab the ruby.

Perhaps you could put another level you have to climb to( and avoid the plants popping out from both ends of the pipe, for example. )

Good level idea. If I make a sequel, that'll be a level in it. And I just might make one seeing as how everyone seems to think this game is cool.

Seeing as how this build isn't really final (unless everyone thinks it's OK), if you have any suggestions on how to improve this, feel free to tell me. And tell me any level suggestions/ideas for a possible sequel, too.

mariasistersfinal.bin

Re: my suggestion: Not sure if I worded it right. Here's a quick mockup of what the first screen might look like:

post-2955-1153514544_thumb.jpg

What I meant was that if you completed the first stage( get past the beast and get the ruby ) you would start the next "level" higher up on the first screen. This would save you some program space and add more gameplay rather than having to add more screens i.e. Keystone Kapers splits the screen into several "floors" that you have to traverse the whole length before moving upward on the escalator( if you don't use the elevator ).

Also, Pitfall! has two "levels" per screen.

You could program the plants to alternate between popping out the top and the bottom. Also, you might be able to add another bullet bill above the first one, on the second screen. I haven't used bBasic very much yet, so I'm just brainstorming and am not sure if the above idea could be implemented into your current game. Good luck with whatever changes/additions you may or may not use. :)

I think you've got a good start, but the overall game could still use some polish. :cool:

I could add a second story to the first screen and have Maria run under the plants when they come out the bottom. As for the bullets, I don't think batari Basic could make that big of a space between copies. So basically, what I could do is make Maria start on the top and move to the bottom once she gets to the right of the top screen? So in the mock screenshot you provided, put a hole in the left of the second story, make Maria start at the top right corner, make her move left and then drop down once she gets to the hole. Like this:

post-9475-1153518800_thumb.png

It isn't exactly what you suggested, but it's what my programming skills can do now. I could make every screen start out on the top and then go to the bottom, thus making the game twice as long as it was.

Edited by atari2600land

• 3 years later...

A while back, I figured I would port Super Mario Bros. 2 to the Atari 2600. The result was crappy. Now, with the rise of jrok's Mega Italian Twins, as well as me learning a lot more about bB, I figured I would try again. Here's what I have so far. There's only two screens so far, and you can't pick the Shy Guy up yet. So, what do you think?

MIT2.bas.bin

MIT2.bas

It's not going to be an exact port, so things will remain a bit different. I've added a few more screens, but am having trouble figuring out why jumping on an enemy and then jumping from it reaches the same height as jumping off the ground. I'm also going to try and see if I can get it scrolling (it's like Pitfall right now.)

MIT2.bas.bin

MIT2.bas