IGNORED

2600 Heavy-sixer with built-in speakers...

SoundGammon

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about building, or I should say, modifying a heavy-sixer and putting in the speakers in the panel where they were originally designed to go. I would like some input about this as a couple of questions came up:

Need a small stereo amp that would run off the power-pack, 9 volt.

Speakers that would fit into the unit and their power requirements.

Possible volume control, with maybe a headphone jack...any ideas?

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about building, or I should say, modifying a heavy-sixer and putting in the speakers in the panel where they were originally designed to go. I would like some input about this as a couple of questions came up:

Need a small stereo amp that would run off the power-pack, 9 volt.

Speakers that would fit into the unit and their power requirements.

Possible volume control, with maybe a headphone jack...any ideas?

The Atari uses very little power, I'm sure you can run the amp directly off of the power supply. After all, an Atari 2600 can run for 4 hours on a 9v battery.

Yep, then just build a small amp, tap into the audio, split the audio to both speakers. Sounds good to me, should be very feasable.

It could be a good idea to add a small volume knob in the back or something... or on top or wherever, but that's all up to you.

Edited by keilbaca

A 2600 console already has built in speakers.

wtf???

No it doesn't.

What you've never seen the original Sunnyvale 'extra' heavy sixers? :rolling:

Well one of my 2600s has speakers built in. But that's not quite the same thing :D

Extra Heavy Sixer...lol :lol:

On a more serious note, I think I read somewhere that the 2600 was originally intended to have speakers, which is why there are the open, speaker like vents on the top of the VCS. Maybe someone can elaborate, unless I'm dead wrong, in which case, i'm sure someone will "ZylonBane" me :)

wtf???

No it doesn't.

Well one of my 2600s has speakers built in. But that's not quite the same thing :D

On a more serious note, I think I read somewhere that the 2600 was originally intended to have speakers, which is why there are the open, speaker like vents on the top of the VCS. Maybe someone can elaborate, unless I'm dead wrong, in which case, i'm sure someone will "ZylonBane" me :)

Yep, it was originally supposed to be designed like the pong units, the sound coming out of the machine. Why they decided to do it through the tv I don't know, but they went with that route.

wtf???

No it doesn't.

Yep, it was originally supposed to be designed like the pong units, the sound coming out of the machine. Why they decided to do it through the tv I don't know, but they went with that route.

I would imagine it was cheaper to leave the speakers out and use the television's speaker.

OK, enough of this idiocy already!

Cody, there were probably well over a million 2600 consoles made with the open slots in the case top.

Have you opened yours up and seen ACTUAL SPEAKERS in it? And when you play it, does the sound come from the console, or from the TV? Does the console have a volume control?

If you really have one with factory-installed speakers, we'd all love to see the inside of it.

The lamp and wall in CPU's picture must have alot of scotchguard on it, not a drop of flying brain matter sticks to it :D

LOL, and this guy doesn't get his hands dirty either...

the left hand to hand scene was great

I talked to an Atari engineer back in 1979 by the name of Jim Heller who told me that the speakers were dropped at the last minute of production design because it was felt the audio would be better through the tv set. He told me that pins 12 & 13 were then "tied" together and what I needed to do to hook-up stereo audio. He said that the "outputs" on pins 12 & 13 were "collector outputs", the same as any transistor and they would require a 5 volt positive supply and buffered. Rob