IGNORED

"Real Life" Space Invaders

Well the video is gone, but it does bring to mind an old game show that Nickelodeon used to run, Wild and Crazy Kids.

Once on that show, they did a segment where they played a game of "Human Space Invaders." The way the game worked is down on the ground, a group of kids (and adults I think, too) marched along like the field of Invaders, while the player stood above the playfield in an observance box, lobbing water balloons down on the hapless "Invaders" below.

The game was even demonstrated with video clips from the Atari 2600 game, and during the game itself they used the 2600 game's sound effects. 'twas a sight to behold. :P

Ah, CRAP!

This is really disappointing.

Well, for those of you who missed it... picture a theater with black seats. Imagine each seat is a pixel on a video monitor. They used real people, dressed in green, white, and red t-shirts to represent the "lit" pixels on the screen, and played out two complete screens of Space Invaders. (They only had 4 "invaders" per row but that was due to the number of seats in a row.)

This must have taken an insane amount of time to produce, because they had to take a still photo of each frame, move everyone appropriately to different seats, shoot the next frame, etc. It was perfectly executed. Brilliant! (And it had real S.I. sounds to go with it.)

I remember a real-life Space Invaders game that was part of the penny carnival attractions that Brightside Center in West Springfield, MA had one year. There were six people dressed up as the Space Invaders aliens, and they fired squirt guns at the player who was armed with a trash can cover and some wiffle balls to throw at the aliens as they came closer to the player. The goal was for the player to knock down as many aliens as possible before time ran out or the aliens reached the player (the time was indicated by a soundtrack one of the counselors made with a guitar or musical instrument that mimicked the sound of the arcade game's marching beat, and it got faster and faster until it reached the point where a person in a monotone voice said "game over"). I never played it, but it looked like fun.