IGNORED

Flag Capture - picture label, copyright 1978

Pant Load

I wonder if Blackjack and Concentration had similar 1978 releases.

Where did you find this?

On eBay, from a seller who moves a fair number of games. I've asked him where he got it, and I'll post the response if I get it. From the looks of this cart, its been around, so sadly I don't have much hope this seller has any idea where it came from.

Well, just to be clear (not sure what Christophero Sly meant, exactly)... just because it says 1978 doesn't mean this cart was MADE in 1978.

The number stamped on the end label says, if I read it correctly, "28 2 R," which means the cart was made in the 28th week of 1982.

Which doesn't mean, of course, that it's not rare to see a picture label Flag Capture from 1982, since the game was supposedly discontinued at that time! :o

Until recently, the assumption has been that the games that didn't have a picture label release were discontinued at the time the switch to picture labels was made. However, date stamps reveal that text label carts of Blackjack, Fun with Numbers, and Concentration (titles not known to have a standard picture label) were produced until late 1982. No date stamp text label carts have been reported for Flag Capture though, which is somewhat revealing. I expected a date stamped text label Flag Capture to show up before a picture label. I believe it is a legitimate release and that there are more of these picture labels waiting to be found. I don't, however, have any strong theories as to why this particular label, like Sears picture label Superman, is so rare. Miniature Golf is another strange picture label. It is only known to exist in PAL format, but I wouldn't be surprised if a NTSC copy turned up. BTW, Pant, are you 100% sure this Flag Capture is NTSC?

This find might mean that a large white background instruction manual exits for Flag Capture as well. :)

Anyway, great find Pant Load. Congratulations!

Edited by Christophero Sly

Until recently, the assumption has been that the games that didn't have a picture label release were discontinued at the time the switch to picture labels was made. However, date stamps reveal that text label carts of Blackjack, Fun with Numbers, and Concentration (titles not known to have a standard picture label) were produced until late 1982. No date stamp text label carts have been reported for Flag Capture though, which is somewhat revealing. I expected a date stamped text label Flag Capture to show up before a picture label. I believe it is a legitimate release and that there are more of these picture labels waiting to be found. I don't, however, have any strong theories as to why this particular label, like Sears picture label Superman, is so rare. Miniature Golf is another strange picture label. It is only known to exist in PAL format, but I wouldn't be surprised if a NTSC copy turned up. BTW, Pant, are you 100% sure this Flag Capture is NTSC?

This find might mean that a large white background instruction manual exits for Flag Capture as well. :)

Anyway, great find Pant Load. Congratulations!

Yep - 100% sure its NSTC. I have an old TV I use to test.

And I had no idea about that date stamp info above - very cool stuff.

I had just assumed this particular game was made for a photo shoot or some promotion.

I believe it is a legitimate release and that there are more of these picture labels waiting to be found. I don't, however, have any strong theories as to why this particular label, like Sears picture label Superman, is so rare.

Just spitballin' here, but really, if you didn't buy Flag Capture in the early days, why bother when you had much more choice like Demon Attack, Space Invaders, et al.? You've got $40 burning a hole in your pocket, whatcha' gonna buy with it? I know that Flag Capture was not high on my list after about 1979 or so...

Yes, someone's grandmother is going to get it for them for Christmas, but still it wouldn't rate compared to other games.

~G

someone's grandmother is going to get it for them for Christmas, but still it wouldn't rate compared to other games.

I'm not so sure about that. During the holiday season, buyers are typically not aficionados of the merchandise, but buying for others based (in absence of a wish list or specific request) entirely on the packaging. Flag Capture's art is outstanding and it probably did well even at that late date (minus a certain number of returns from recipients who already had it or immediately concluded that it sucked.)

• 8 months later...