IGNORED

TI 99/4a controller question

I recently bought one of these with the game Parsec. The system works great, everything but the controller. I was able to gather that the controllers plugged into the left port, but do you have to do something in order for the system to recognize it? Both controllers do not work when I play the game and Parsec is pretty tough using the keyboard. Maybe my controller or controller port is faulty? I didn't know if there was some command starting up or during the game to change the game from keyboard control to controller.

Edited by Collector

Aw crud, it's been such a long time since i've fooled around with TI BASIC, I can't remember the proper commands. Otherwise i'd write a quick program you could type in to test your sticks.

The Caps Lock thing is what people tend to get screwed up on. For some reason, up on the joystick can't register with the caps lock key pressed down.

Your best bet would be to buy an adapter so you can use Atari compatible joysticks on your TI. A few different companies made them back in the day. Hopefully one won't be too hard to track down.

If memory serves, this program will show values of -4 and 4 for each axis of the joystick (assuming they work) when pressed. It'll work using the standard console basic. Can't recall how to read the firebutton though???

10 CALL CLEAR

20 CALL JOYST(1,X1,Y1)

25 CALL JOYST(2,X2,Y2)

30 IF X1<>0 THEN PRINT "X1=";X1

40 IF Y1<>0 THEN PRINT "Y1=";Y1

50 IF X2<>0 THEN PRINT "X2=";X2

60 IF Y2<>0 THEN PRINT "Y2=";Y2

70 GOTO 20

That mainbyte schematic had some mistakes, don't remember what

they were offhand.

Glad you mentioned that, I was going to build it and see what happened. I think that pic was the first schematic I've seen of the TI wiring.

I had more time to look at it today, here are the corrections:

TI pin 7 to Atari A pin 8, not 5

TI pin 2 to Atari B pin 8, not 5

Atari pins 6 to TI pin 4, not 6.

If it's not the Caps Lock key, then, unfortunately, it's probably the sticks themselves. Original TI sticks are the most unreliable sticks I've ever encountered. I've never found a working set.

They're not just unreliable... they're CRAPPY. Even when they do work, you'll wish they didn't. The sticks are very stiff and unweilding, and worst of all, they can't be replaced with other 9-pin controllers despite the fact that the system has a 9-pin joystick port. There are controller converters for the system, but it will take an immense effort to find them twenty years after Triton stopped manufacturing them!

JR

• 5 months later...