IGNORED

Generation Nex

Okay, is this system worth $60? I have a bunch of NES games, but never ever play them because the NES hardware blows. I would, however, like to enjoy some of them and was wondering if this console could serve as a decent enough method of playing most of the games. I'm not terribly fussy about my picture quality, and like I said, right now I'm not playing any NES at all, so it's hardly my favorite system in the first place. Also, I won't have a heart attack if a couple games don't work, but if it's, say, 20% of the library that has issues, then I would not be happy with it. Thanks for any input.

There's been a number of threads on this, but since I now actually have a NEX and have tested it - I'll post my findings.

In short, the NEX is a nice looking package with both NES/Fami ports built in. The controller it comes with is pretty well built and very comfortable to use. Unfortunately in my experience the NEX is the least compatible unit so far. :|

My 'Official' rating list.

#1 - A refurb NES toaster. Overall your best bet. I replaced the ZIF connector on mine a while back, and it's been largely trouble free.

#2 - A Yobo FC clone. Very small, cheap and decently compatible. Can be a good option if you're not a purist, and don't *have* to play the few games it won't play at all. Exhibits strangeness in some games that do 'work' such as incorrect color palettes or sound. The pack in controllers aren't very good, and it sometimes feels like you're going to break the unit in two trying to pull games out. Still a decent choice for the non-hardcore or as a backup unit.

#3 - The NEX. Despite the attractive presentation and good controller, I've got to rate this one last. It's the most expensive and the least compatible in my testing. The NEX refuses to run games that work properly on my Yobo :|

Edited by remowilliams

There's been a number of threads on this, but since I now actually have a NEX and have tested it - I'll post my findings.

In short, the NEX is a nice looking package with both NES/Fami ports built in. The controller it comes with is pretty well built and very comfortable to use. Unfortunately in my experience the NEX is the least compatible unit so far. :|

My 'Official' rating list.

#1 - A refurb NES toaster. Overall your best bet. I replaced the ZIF connector on mine a while back, and it's been largely trouble free.

#2 - A Yobo FC clone. Very small, cheap and decently compatible. Can be a good option if you're not a purist, and don't *have* to play the few games it won't play at all. Exhibits strangeness in some games that do 'work' such as incorrect color palettes or sound. The pack in controllers aren't very good, and it sometimes feels like you're going to break the unit in two trying to pull games out. Still a decent choice for the non-hardcore or as a backup unit.

#3 - The NEX. Despite the attractive presentation and good controller, I've got to rate this one last. It's the most expensive and the least compatible in my testing. The NEX refuses to run games that work properly on my Yobo :|

I'm pretty divided on this console-I don't doubt that you are telling the truth, but IGN rated the NEX pretty high:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/677/677770p1.html

I'm pretty divided on this console-I don't doubt that you are telling the truth, but IGN rated the NEX pretty high:

That review was pretty positive. Though some of their results directly contradict mine. I'll agree with them that the physical construction and packaging/presentation is very nice.

I don't have any vested interest in seeing the NEX fail or succeed, and honestly I wanted the NEX to be a replacement in my setup for the Yobo or NES. But right off the bat, games that I see listed on their compatibility list as working with no issues - had problems, or didn't work at all. And they work on my Yobo which surprised me. And I've got a pretty small library ~150 carts or so, nothing terribly exotic.

I'll be keeping the NEX, but it couldn't even replace my Yobo at this point. And the issue isn't the carts I'm using, as they work fine in the Yobo and NES, and several copies of the same games do the same things.

I'll also add that the first NEX unit I got had graphical issues (garbage in the display), so I had to get a second unit. The place I bought it from noted that they had a few units with the same issue, and their display system also had the same problem.

Edited by remowilliams

That review was pretty positive. Though some of their results directly contradict mine. I'll agree with them that the physical construction and packaging/presentation is very nice.

I don't have any vested interest in seeing the NEX fail or succeed, and honestly I wanted the NEX to be a replacement in my setup for the Yobo or NES. But right off the bat, games that I see listed on their compatibility list as working with no issues - had problems, or didn't work at all. And they work on my Yobo which surprised me. And I've got a pretty small library ~150 carts or so, nothing terribly exotic.

I'll be keeping the NEX, but it couldn't even replace my Yobo at this point. And the issue isn't the carts I'm using, as they work fine in the Yobo and NES, and several copies of the same games do the same things.

I'll also add that the first NEX unit I got had graphical issues (garbage in the display), so I had to get a second unit. The place I bought it from noted that they had a few units with the same issue, and their display system also had the same problem.

I would really like to get a Famicom Model 2-looks like a Top-Loader NES, but comes with AV, and, AFIK, is more durable then the toaster NES. And converters are easy to get, and you can hook it up to a Famicom Disk System, which does have a few good games. Have you experienced any problems with the Yobo, in terms of compatibility?

For $60, you could probably get an NES, the pin connector to fix it and make it work reliably, plus have a few bucks left over. It may be a little flaky, but any systems I've repaired worked perfectly afterward. Real hardware can't be replaced by clone machines I say

Simple: Don't listen to IGN.

Their review is nothing more than a glorified press release. AT BEST the NEX is a pretty nice looking Nintendo on a Chip system - meaning it doesn't play some games at all (Gauntlet, Castlevania 3) and has problems with others (garbled map on Zelda, messed up menus in River City Ransom, attrocious music in many Megaman titles).

At WORST it's an overpriced, poorly built system, with known mistakes made in the system's wiring and controllers that most people haven't cared for. The built in wireless receivers are a great idea, but they don't even give you an option to get discounted wireless controllers with it - so you'd need $120 to get the system with 2 wireless controllers.

If you want a clone, get a Yobo for half the price. Personally, I'd opt for the real system if I were you - I doesn't take much to refurbish a toaster NES and quite frankly, nothing beats the look of having an original NES hooked up. But seriously, don't listen to IGN (and this applies to everything, not just the NEX!)