IGNORED

Leprechaun Level Editor (alpha)

EricBall

Announcing the Leprechaun Level Editor!

This will allow you to create your own Leprechaun levels. The SAVE button dynamically creates a SuperCharger binary (based on the current development release) usable by any emulator or SC compatible RAMcart.

I plan on adding a LOAD button as well which will allow a level created with the LLE to be uploaded for editting or refreshed with the current development release.

This is all part of my plan to have people create lots & lots of levels for Leprechaun, which can then be included as part of the final game.

Notes on the current development release:

1. The level timer at the top of the screen is just for show. The plan is to have it count down the time you have to complete the level - unlimitted lives, limitted time.

2. There is no end-of-level detection. A level will be complete when all of the gold is picked up (either by the player or enemies).

3. There is no RESET detection. Right now if you die you have to restart & reload.

All three of these limitations should be resolved in the next development release, but I wanted to get the level editor out there.

Announcing the Leprechaun Level Editor!

Javascript? Wow! And the source is so simple (with the possible exception of the .php for game saving...)

Is there any additional source available, in the hypothetical case where one may want to make one's own level editor for a hypothetical game that may or may not involve a VW bug?

Javascript? Wow! And the source is so simple (with the possible exception of the .php for game saving...)

Is there any additional source available, in the hypothetical case where one may want to make one's own level editor for a hypothetical game that may or may not involve a VW bug?

Actually lepsave.php isn't that complex. It just takes the level data via an HTTP POST, transforms it as required and combines it with a base binary.

IMHO the Javascript is much more interesting, and I can't take credit for that. Kirk Israel did the majority of the work there. I simply modified the SAVE routine to match what lepsave.php needed and tweaked the graphics to match the game. Unfortunately, that means I really don't have a full understanding of it, just what I've been able to glean via reverse-engineering.

Note: the LOAD routine will be implemented as a PHP script which will pull the level data out of the file and then update the Javascript initialization routines. Or at least that's the theory.

Eric! I didn't realize you were going forward with this! But I'm glad to see I was able to give you enough to get you on your way... I was willing to put in more work in bridging the gap to generating binary, but you were talking a little over my head sometimes, so it's nice to know I can be out of the loop with the feeling of a job reasonably well done :-)

One request, if you get the chance, change my URL to http://kisrael.com , would ya? (And it's a little odd that you left in thanking yourself, but who am I to judge )

Glad you like the code, batari... in the credits you can see who I cribbed from the most, but I did try to give it a reasonably high polish factor. I'd be happy to help adapt the idea for any other project-- especially with something as cool as is likely to come from the likes of you!--as long as they can clearly describe the elements in the game, and then what gets generated from that binary wise.

Edited by kisrael

For those interested you can download lepsave.php as lepsave.txt. PHP is pretty cool and powerful.

Kirk, nothing against you, I just decided one day to see if I could get the save routine working using PHP. In fact, I doubt that I would have been able to do the Javascript myself. PHP has a lot of similarities with C, which I'm quite comfortable with.

Edited by EricBall

Oh, no worries, I didn't take it as a slight and I admit we weren't communicating well about some of the specifics of the binary layout-- partially because of my ASM rustiness at this point. I am pleased with the work I did do in the UI for that thing, and tickled to see you were able to complete the loop and get real bona fide levels coming out of it... great stuff.

And I see lepsave.php is pretty simple code as well, a lot of support projects like this don't end up using such readable code.

Very exciting stuff in that engine of yours.