IGNORED

Frontier: Elite II, and a new assembler

swapd0

Hi guys, here you can download the Frontier: Elite II for Atari Jaguar, it's in a early stage of development, and have a look into the tools sections for my assembler (I've read that on Windows XP, madmac doesn't work)

My Webpage

See ya.

Hi,

Your link is broken. You meant http://www.freewebs.com/swapd0/, I assume.

This looks very interesting ! :)

Hello!

Hi guys, here you can download the Frontier: Elite II for Atari Jaguar, it's in a early stage of development,

I already asked over at Atari.org, but here i can support my question with a screenshot:

Although the program seems to run a kind of title-intro the screen-output seems to be

(still) in the Atari ST-like bitplane-interleaved format, not yet ported over to the Jaguar's pixel-interleaved format.

Is this assumption correct? Or is this a bug?

Regards

Matthias

post-2054-1154627349_thumb.jpg

Hello!

Hi guys, here you can download the Frontier: Elite II for Atari Jaguar, it's in a early stage of development,

I already asked over at Atari.org, but here i can support my question with a screenshot:

Although the program seems to run a kind of title-intro the screen-output seems to be

(still) in the Atari ST-like bitplane-interleaved format, not yet ported over to the Jaguar's pixel-interleaved format.

Regards

Matthias

It's Ok, I haven't rewriten the drawing routines, first i need to change the lighting routines to work in CrY format, then change drawing routines to use the blitter... and... you will see the game at 16bits CrY format.

Regards

Rober

Hello!

It's Ok, I haven't rewriten the drawing routines, first i need to change the lighting routines to work in CrY format, then change drawing routines to use the blitter... and... you will see the game at 16bits CrY format.

Great :-)

As mentioned, i simply didn't know what to expect, so i thought i better ask.

Best regards

Matthias

Interesting... that there is a 68k src for elite2 ....

I always asked for src like this but noone knows where to get it.. since a port is not that dificult to do (i have done such) ...part of the worst is to convert bitplane gfx to jaguar friendly & change painting to use blitter.... (ie if only src is given and not the full project (src,gfx,audio,..)...

I sure wish you good luck! ..verry interesting project =) ...if you ever need help or loose interest or whatever let me know and I will trye to help/continue ... :P

(Another source i would like to have is the mac 68K src for Wolfenstein.... if anyone has it... ...and i will start a conversion myself =)

Interesting 3D Engine project you have there... to bad it has been stopped :( ....would be verry interested in that aswell... (since any fixpoint 3d routines interest me.. )

cheers & good luck!

regards

/Symmetry

I always asked for src like this but noone knows where to get it.. since a port is not that dificult to do (i have done such) ...part of the worst is to convert bitplane gfx to jaguar friendly & change painting to use blitter.... (ie if only src is given and not the full project (src,gfx,audio,..)...

I sure wish you good luck! ..verry interesting project =) ...if you ever need help or loose interest or whatever let me know and I will trye to help/continue ... :P

(Another source i would like to have is the mac 68K src for Wolfenstein.... if anyone has it... ...and i will start a conversion myself =)

Interesting 3D Engine project you have there... to bad it has been stopped :( ....would be verry interested in that aswell... (since any fixpoint 3d routines interest me.. )

cheers & good luck!

regards

/Symmetry

I used my disassembler to get the sources forn the Atari ST version, i wished to have the original ones with comments.

Later I'll need some help so i'll put a message here.

About the 3D Engine, maybe some day i'll get a GP2X and continue with it, because on a PC with accelerator cards is a bit...

See ya!

Rober

The 68K source code for the mac has been released, we just need to search the web for it...

Also look at atari st port ...

cheers & good luck!

regards

/Symmetry

Hello again,

Hi guys, here you can download the Frontier: Elite II for Atari Jaguar, it's in a early stage of development, and have a look into the tools sections for my assembler (I've read that on Windows XP, madmac doesn't work)
This really is very cool, and indeed shows great promise.

It must have been a hell of a job to get this far, by disassembly means. :-)

Good luck, and thanks for sharing the news. ;)

Cheers,

JustClaws.

super DROOL, I'd love to have frontier easily playable on a console, especially the jag. its keypad may be able to provide enough control to handle it, as well. Also love to see the sentinel / sentry, hunter, mercenary 3, carrier command, star glider 2, among other early solid 3d games :-)

• 3 weeks later...

If you are going to port Frontier can you do something about the controls? Having to move left then up or up then left to move diagonally was ok on the original Elite as the ships moves so slowly but under Frontier the only way I could ever line up to shot them was to use the autopilot which rather spoiled it for me, apart from that it was a good game.

A port of Jimmy White's Wirlwind Snooker with some improved graphics would be nice if you have time

Hello!

Regards

Matthias

Oh wow! Is this what happens if you try to port a ST program directly to the Jag?

• 3 weeks later...

Imagine what floodgates would open if someone figured out how to write a converter that made atari st games play on the jagcd...

[TROLL]

What, do you think there are NOT enough straight 16-bit ports on the Jag already ? :D

[/TROLL]

(not that I want to belittle swapd0's work, or anyone who would actually code an emulator, of course ;) )

Edited by Zerosquare

You mention Amiga games along with ST games being capable of being disassembled then reassembled to work on the Jag on your website, does this mean Amiga Mortal Kombat II could be revamped to run on a Jag? I was always pissed about the Jag never getting a MK game when they could have easily licensed MK3 from Williams (I know it was listed on the tentative Jag game list but I always read from sources saying it was or that wasn't :/ I really don't know what the case was) If it's possible to rework the Amiga version with better sprites and animated backdrops (Amiga version had static backdrops :( ) it'd be sweet if you ask me :D Wish I could get BeOS: PE to boot up, I wanna check out your tool set.

Edited by EmOneGarand

Mortal Kombat, Golden Axe... if someone could rip the graphics from the coin-op, maybe I could code a Jaguar version. I spend most of my time coding tools or routines, but never have coded a game because I'm just a coder.

Is there a graphics man with a project in mind, that needs a coder?

Mortal Kombat, Golden Axe... if someone could rip the graphics from the coin-op, maybe I could code a Jaguar version. I spend most of my time coding tools or routines, but never have coded a game because I'm just a coder.

For Mortal Kombat I could definately help with that :) I've worked with the graphics before just to see how it's put together but I'm not too familair with what from the Arcade version the Jag could handle (Sprite Size, Color, Resolution, Memory,etc...) I think their should be some Jag exclusives if Memory is available ;)

Edited by EmOneGarand

For Mortal Kombat I could definitely help with that :) I've worked with the graphics before just to see how it's put together but I'm not too familiar with what from the Arcade version the Jag could handle (Sprite Size, Color, Resolution, Memory,etc...) I think their should be some Jag exclusives if Memory is available ;)

Well, you can use 1,2,4,8 or 16bits sprites, usually the arcades use 4bits sprites (16 colors), just load a game in MAME and press F4.

To save memory you can have big sprites broken into smaller ones, like tiles, and for each character animation have an array of tile index.

For sprite games in Jaguar you don't need to have a framebuffer, because all is rendered using the Object Processor. Also all characters can be packed into memory and only depack the current fighters. Maybe even you can depack them in realtime using the GPU.