JohnnyWC's next 2600 project

johnnywc

JohnnyWC's next project  

114 members have voted

1. 1. What type of project should I do?

• Orignal game
    • Port an existing game
    • Re-do/finish an exisitng game
  2. 2. If an original game, which of these sound the best?

• A hockey game
    • An action real-time strategy adventure game
    • A multi-level shoot-em up
  3. 3. If porting an existing game, choose from these:

• Mappy
    • Scramble
    • Super Pac-man
    • Major Havoc
    • Food Fight
    • Baby Pac-man
    • Zoo Keeper
    • Moon Cresta
    • Space Panic
    • Galaga (it'll be tough)
    • All these games suck!! :)
  4. 4. If re-writing/finishing an existing game:

• Finish Elevator Action
    • Rewrite Donkey Kong
    • Rewrite Wizard of Wor

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hello all,

With Lady Bug in release candidate status, I'm looking ahead to my next project. I've scanned the 2600 wishlist thread and came up with the following poll. Please note that the games are ones that I like and that I think would make good candidates for the 2600 architecture.

For the original games:

Hockey game: this is a vertical scroller, 5 on 5. Think Realsports. Choose teams, offsides, fights, overtime, etc.

Action real time strategy game will be based on the Milton Bradley board game Dark Tower.

The multi-level shoot-em up: similar to Major Havoc (shoot stuff, land, control your guy to retrieve fuel, etc., esacpe)

Thanks!

EDIT: What are the chances of using the Zookeeper sounds that were found a few months back if that is to be my next project? Anyone know the story behind that?

Edited by johnnywc

Meh, I don't think DK is that bad; not bad enough to warrant a bunch of time rewriting it. :P

I think DK could be a good game if moved to an 8K Superchip cart. It might be possible to free up enough RAM to avoid needing the SuperChip, but basically IMHO the game mainly needs three things:

1. Have two sets of enemy objects (30Hz flicker). This would allow for more than one barrel per scan line, and...
  2. Allow some vertical movement for the fire monsters. With two sets of fire monsters, even if fire monsters couldn't move into zones occupied by other fire monsters, you could still have two fire monsters per zone (one on even frames; one on odd frames).
  3. Probably add the other screens, cut scenes, etc.

I don't see a real need for a from-scratch rewrite. The 1LK that Mr. Kitchen wrote should be quite adequate.

As much as I love Super Pac-Man, I can't in good faith vote for it. It just wouldn't be Super Pac without the maze full of fruit, which there's no way the 2600 could do without inducing seizures.

Love Zookeeper too, but ditto, the 2600 couldn't do it justice. Too dang many animals running around at once.

Major Havoc would be a disaster. Aside from being a vector game, it would be a huge project implementing all the different gameplay phases. And IMHO, it isn't much fun anyway.

Food Fight... probably doable, but it's another one of those games that's all about the oversized cute graphics.

Space Panic... the platform game so boring that most people forgot about it when Donkey Kong came out.

Scramble... Super Cobra already did this about as well as the 2600 can manage. No point repeating it.

Galaga... yeah, "tough" is an understatement!

Moon Cresta... all the overlapping curving alien motions in this game don't play to the 2600's strengths at all

Baby Pac-Man... eh, a gimmick that combined a lame maze game with a lame pinball game

I guess that leaves Mappy, which seems well-suited to the 2600, and apparently a few people around here like it. I've tried it a few times in MAME and never saw the appeal, myself.

Now something that would be really cool, and well within the 2600's abilities, and fairly straightforward to reproduce, is--

BOSCONIAN.

New Adventure Game

I vote for a new adventure type of game that uses controlled randomness to set rooms, treasure, and enemies in a different place ever time you start a new game. For those players who shiver and cry at the very hint of randomness, you could let the player enter a seed number at the beginning by using the joystick and that will provide them with the same game every time (if they always use the same number). If the player doesn't enter a seed number, the game would default to randomness, so both kinds of players get what they want.

Judging by your high-quality work with Lady Bug, I bet you could create something cool.

Edited by Random Terrain

I love the game to death, but I couldn't believe how muddled the port is.

How many other games of the era managed a single-line kernel with an assymetric playfield, a multi-colored player, and a single-color player? And also, on a few scan lines, a missile and the Ball (used together to form the hammer)? I'd say that's pretty darned impressive for being the guy's second 2600 game.

I love the game to death, but I couldn't believe how muddled the port is.
How many other games of the era managed a single-line kernel with an assymetric playfield, a multi-colored player, and a single-color player? And also, on a few scan lines, a missile and the Ball (used together to form the hammer)? I'd say that's pretty darned impressive for being the guy's second 2600 game.

[i'm going to use the word you a lot below, but it's a generic you, not you specifically.]

Most kids didn't know about any of that, they just wished it was more like the arcade. Trying hard doesn't make a good game. No one but another programmer is going to pat you on the back for how amazing your code looks and if you're making games just to impress other programmers, maybe you shouldn't be making games. What's important is your audience, the gamers, and they only care if your game is fun and meets a certain standard of excellence.

If a programmer with more time and resources can make a better version of Donkey Kong one of these days, that will be great.

I also voted for DK. I think it's time someone out there did it, and I can't think of a better man for the job! :cool:

Atari 2600 carts can go up to 32K with the proper bankswitching, right? Well, I'd be glad if you could add the Elevator screen in there, in addition to the Girders and Rivets screens. I could live without the Pie/Cement Factory screen if you can't fit it within the ROM limit.

Someone with good knowledge of the 2600 should make some realistic DK mockups...

Most kids didn't know about any of that, they just wished it was more like the arcade. Trying hard doesn't make a good game. No one but another programmer is going to pat you on the back for how amazing your code looks and if you're making games just to impress other programmers, maybe you shouldn't be making games. What's important is your audience, the gamers, and they only care if your game is fun and meets a certain standard of excellence.

When I first heard that there was going to be a Donkey Kong for the 2600, I was expecting something that looked, well, like the way the 2600 Kangaroo turned out to look. When I first saw the 2600 Donkey Kong, I was awestruck. Disillusionment didn't hit until the second board.

Shouldn't Hockey be in the "finishing" section :ponder: ;)

Not exactly. Since this was my first feeble attempt at programming (started it about 4 years ago), I'm going to start this one from scratch, although I'll most likely use *some* parts of the old source code - something should be salvagable. :)