IGNORED

Berzerk Arcade WIP

neotokeo2001

BERZERK ARCADE

post-3832-1154899487_thumb.jpg

post-3832-1154899493_thumb.jpg

Yes. That is a diagonal shot.

post-3832-1154899500_thumb.jpg

They shoot diagonally when you least expect it.

post-3832-1154899509_thumb.jpg

Evil Otto joins the fun.

I also have a second version where I made the sprites smaller.

post-3832-1154899517_thumb.jpg

I think the smaller sprites play better. You tell me.

This is based on Debros diagonal shot hack. Here are the changes so far:

Robots fire diagonally

Number font graphics

Extra player graphics

Player color

Score color

Evil Otto's graphics

Electrocution glitch pixel removed

Increased difficulty

Evil Otto game 1 default

This is about as far as I can take it. Maybe someone else can help.

Suggested changes:

Title screen

More mazes (maybe have some non-mirrored mazes)

Voice via AtariVox

More aggressive diagonal firing algorithm

I hope everyone can pitch in to make this the ultimate Atari 2600 version of BEZERK. It plays good now but it can be a lot better with the extra touches. I will do whatever I can to help. Anybody else have any other suggestions?

Here are the BINS and DEBROS original disassembly:

Berzerk Arcade-Berzerk_AE_normal.bin

Berzerk Arcade small-Berzerk_AE_small.bin

DEBROS Original assembly file(Right Click/Save target as)-BERZERK_WIP.txt

Not all changes are in this file.

Edited by neotokeo2001

In the hacks forum, I posted a version where leaving via the right blocks the left wall only and vice versa. With that exception, assymmetric mazes are apt to be difficult.

Could you add that into this version?

Assymmetric mazes were wishful thinking. I would settle for more mazes. :D

Why use voice via atarivox, what's wrong with the voice used in Berzerk VE?

Berzerk VE could be used. The only downside is the large size of the BIN.

To get the changes in I'm suggesting you're going to at least have to expand this to 8K. As for using the voice from Berzerk VE, I'd suggest getting Mike Mika's permission first since it was his work. Plus, wouldn't using the AtariVox allow voice during game play? Without it the VCS has to clear the screen because it takes so much time to produce the voice.

Without it the VCS has to clear the screen because it takes so much time to produce the voice.

Playing digitized audio isn't terribly CPU intensive, actually. The problem is that it takes about 12 cycles every other scan line, INCLUDING in VBLANK and overscan. I've thought it might be interesting to write a Berzerk kernel that would draw EITHER the player or the robots while playing audio, and then work that in so that when Evil Otto was about to appear everything would flicker during "Intruder Alert, Intruder Alert" but the screen would still be visible.

Well actually in the original game you could never really understand that robot voice, I think a more clear updated human voice might be better?

Wade

Don't you think that since it is supposed to be a robot talking...it should sound like one?

Well it depends in the 70's and 80's as far as movies go everyone thought a robot should sound like that, but if you hear robots today they sound much more human really. Even our movies changed like Terminator that did not sound like a robot. I guess really the quest is to get the most human sounding robots for us humans to interact with in the future.

I think if a robot sounds like what we used to think a robot should sound like that is old technology there, robots are capable of sounding human now.

Wade

• 3 weeks later...

Well actually in the original game you could never really understand that robot voice, I think a more clear updated human voice might be better?

Wade

Don't you think that since it is supposed to be a robot talking...it should sound like one?

Well it depends in the 70's and 80's as far as movies go everyone thought a robot should sound like that, but if you hear robots today they sound much more human really. Even our movies changed like Terminator that did not sound like a robot. I guess really the quest is to get the most human sounding robots for us humans to interact with in the future.

I think if a robot sounds like what we used to think a robot should sound like that is old technology there, robots are capable of sounding human now.

Wade

That's what I hated most about that crappy show Small Wonder. It tried to perpetuate a 1960s idea of robots about 20 years too late.

• 1 month later...