IGNORED

Official Pac-Man Collection thread (ColecoVision/MSX)

opcode

Hi,

Well, since PMC is near completion now, I decided to post my progress here.

So far there are two versions of Pac-Man Collection planned:

- The ColecoVision version

- The MSX version (MSX2 minimum, SCC sound cartridge supported but not required)

Main features common to both versions:

- Accurate port of both Pac-Man and Ms Pac-Man arcade games. Gameplay is arcade perfect

- Option screen with all arcade settings

- All new Pac-Man Collection title screen and intro sequence

- A couple of bonuses

Major differences between versions are:

- The MSX version has 100% accurate colors

- The MSX version has almost 100% accurate sound when using SCC sound cartridge

- The MSX version is virtually free of sprite flickering

- In some cases the MSX version has better graphic details, like the mazes in Ms Pac-Man

In terms of packaging, both versions will come with box and manual, and both will use a 1Mbit cartridge (though I am not using all the space). Obviously the MSX version is more intended for the Japanese audience, though maybe a few MSX fans here would appreciate it.

Current status is:

--- ColecoVision version ----

- Title screen, intro sequence, options screen (80% done, waiting for theme song)

- Pac-Man (95% done, beta testing, small bug corrections)

- Ms Pac-Man (90% done, beta testing, small improvements in sound and grahics)

- Others (60% done)

--- MSX version -------

- Pac-Man (90% done, beta testing and improvements in sound and performance)

- Ms Pac-Man (30%)

- Others (30%)

Plans were to have the CV version released later this year, but I am starting to believe that isn't going to happen due to many personal and technical difficulties. So March next year would be a better target date. Believe me, that hurts me more than hurts you...

I will post screenshots and demos later, including the MSX version demo...

Eduardo

Plans were to have the CV version released later this year, but I am starting to believe that isn't going to happen due to many personal and technical difficulties. So March next year would be a better target date. Believe me, that hurts me more than hurts you...

This doesn't have anything to do with a certain person moving to another country, of course... ;)

This doesn't have anything to do with a certain person moving to another country, of course... ;)

That's part of the problem, though not the sole responsible... :)

Eduardo

Gameplay is arcade perfect

Arcade perfect? As in, I could pull my 1981 copy of "Mastering Pac-Man" by Ken Uston off the bookshelf and all of the patterns would work? I don't have a ColecoVision, but if I did, that'd be a hell of a reason to get it out.

Arcade perfect? As in, I could pull my 1981 copy of "Mastering Pac-Man" by Ken Uston off the bookshelf and all of the patterns would work? I don't have a ColecoVision, but if I did, that'd be a hell of a reason to get it out.

Believe me buddy, it's so close to the arcade version you'll be looking for the coin slot on your CV console. :D

Yep, that's right. All the patterns work. :)

Eduardo

Wow. :D Sorry, this is the first I've heard of this project. That's pretty damned impressive. As a Pac-Man purist, I find it annoying that Namco authorizes all of these "Namco Museum" sets that claim to be arcade accurate but end up being recreations. Good work! :)

Hi!

Ok, time for some screenshots (all taken from the ColecoVision version).

Shown here are screenshots from the Pac-Man Collection title screen. From left to right is the main title screen and the options screen.

As you can see the game offer you all the arcade settings, as well as USA/Japan versions. Japanese version is the original Namco version, while the USA version is the licensed Midway release. For the CV version, the default setting of version is USA, while the MSX version defaults to Japan. Some settings have no meaning in some games, like "ghost names" in Ms Pac-Man.

Not shown is the new ColecoVision splash screen, all the small animations in the title screen and the whole opening cut-scene. I am not showing them here cause I believe they work better in motion than as stills. :)

Eduardo

post-1432-1155068938_thumb.jpg

Ok, I'm REALLY wanting to buy this now.. as well as get an MSX2 computer with SCC+ cartridge for the other version. :o

You don't need a SCC+ cartridge, which btw is way too expensive. Any Konami cartridge with SCC will work fine (and you don't need to destroy the built-in game). Just plug a SCC game in slot 2 and Pac-Man Collection in slot 1. PMC will detect and use the SCC chip. I am gonna love to demonstrate that at some classic videogame meetings next year... :D

Eduardo

Since there seems to be some interest, here are some screenshots of the MSX version....

BTW, I was thinking about a version with full arcade size maze/sprites and scrolling screen. Since the graphic engine is just a front-end, as the game is in fact running full size behind the curtains, and considering that the MSX2 has hardware scroll, it would be something fairly easy to carry out.

Eduardo

post-1432-1155241136_thumb.jpg

Edited by opcode

• 2 months later...

I was wondering- will the mazes in Ms. Pac-Man be multi-colored, as in the 7800 and 5200 versions? If so, what method would you use to do this?

So far, it looks spectacular! I haven't played Pac-Man Plus since, well, maybe 1983 or 1984! This game is on my wish list, along with a completed CV Joust and Daniel Bienvenu's Reversi!

Hi!

The mazes in Ms Pac-Man are monochromatic. I tried a multi-colored version years ago, but the final image had too much flickering so I decided against using it. In other hand both the 5200 and 7800 can't offer the same resolution as the CV version (256x192). That means that in many cases sprites will look better in the CV version.

Here are new screenshots showing PMC running on a prototype MegaCart. The MegaCart is able to support EPROMs up to 1MB.

Eduardo

post-1432-1161387612_thumb.jpg

post-1432-1161387636_thumb.jpg

Edited by opcode

I want one.Pac-Man mania is running wild all over.Bring it on WAKKA WAKKA WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Edited by Breakpack

I've seen the Ms. Pac-Man screenshots, and see what you mean by monochromatic. Looks good still.

If you had decided to go with multicolored mazes, what would the result have been(no flicker method, just regular put it on the screen type stuff)? Would it have looked like the 5200, multicolored but not as smooth at the ends? Could the two styles be chosen for the player, on the final product?

Lookin' foward to it! Keep it up, and for you guys out there, if you want more of this stuff, then buy it, allready!

If you had decided to go with multicolored mazes, what would the result have been(no flicker method, just regular put it on the screen type stuff)? Would it have looked like the 5200, multicolored but not as smooth at the ends? Could the two styles be chosen for the player, on the final product?

The CV has two main display modes: In mode #1, the CV cannot display more than two colors per 8x8 tile, and in mode #2, the limit is two colors per line in each 8x8 tile. With black being always one of the colors, that leaves only one color for the maze. This explains the monochromatic mazes in Ms. Pac-Man, and there's sadly no functional work-around possible.