IGNORED

Go Fish!

duncantoml

Go Fish! is a great game. I saw it when Bob demo'd it at NWCGE, and picked one up a month later. It's become my most requested game to drag out when friends are over. Very fun stuff! The fact that it's a port of one of my favorite Intellivision games is great too.

I love this game as well

Anyone find the Easter Egg yet?

I've sure as hell tried

I hope it's not one of those "when the game ends move the joystick up, down, left, left, set difflculty switch to A and press game select while holding down the fire button" types though.

I'm trying different stuff in the game to find it, those other kinds that involve combinations of stick movements and button pressing, well, I have no patience for that crap. It's too random and you can't ever find them without major hints

I just wanted to say Well Done to Bob Montgomery on his game Go Fish!

Thank you very much! :)

Over all it is a fun game and very addictive. I was surprised to find that the game tops out at 9999, but that's a lot of fish to get there.

:o

Holy smokes! Well, it's good to know that it's beatable...wow. Just, wow. I'm impressed.

How long did it take you to get to 9999?

Anyone find the Easter Egg yet?

I've sure as hell tried

I hope it's not one of those "when the game ends move the joystick up, down, left, left, set difflculty switch to A and press game select while holding down the fire button" types though.

I'm trying different stuff in the game to find it, those other kinds that involve combinations of stick movements and button pressing, well, I have no patience for that crap. It's too random and you can't ever find them without major hints

Well, um...:ponder:

It isn't that complicated - here's a hint: you cannot unlock the easter egg while using the AtariVox.

Edited by vdub_bobby

How long did it take you to get to 9999?

I believe it was about 35 minutes. That was starting as a smallest fish.

Thanks, and congratulations, again. First I've heard of anyone maxing the score, far better score than I've ever managed. ;)

I like that fact that Eels, Jellyfish , and Sharks ALL appear on the later screens together. That makes for some interesting situations.

:evil:

Holy cow! That is an amazing score! I play this game all the time and have never even come close to that. Congrats, that is really something. And you did it pretty fast, too! I spend a lot of time just swimming around.

I know, I know! That's the difference between me and these guys. I take the time to smell the flowers, to let my fish lazily flap a fin in the seaweed, to bob in the current, watch the sharks go by. Zen out for a bit. Take a chill, cool the jets, get mellow. You know how it is.

These high scorers, they are all about action and speed. More power to'em, but that's not how I roll.

Duncantoml has to set all of his records very fast. After all, he's broken over 2000 over on Twin Galaxies. :)

Damn. So many great comments about this game. Maybe I need to pick it up. I like the sound of the concept - being a small fish and having to eat smaller fish to get bigger. I haven't had any new action on my 2600 for quite some time. And the only carts I've bought here for the 2600 were hacks, not homebrews. Would be neat to have one.

This is a good "space out" game at first because it starts off real easy but once that shark shows up, it's a tense ride.

If I have one complaint it's that sometimes it's hard to tell if a fish is bigger than you or the same size since they kinda look alike and the color scheme makes it hard to pick out details

Now this may be intentional but it still pisses me off.

I had a nice little game going tonight and all of a sudden I seemingly committed suicide.

Still, that's a MINOR complaint. This is a fantastic and highly addictive game.

This is a good "space out" game at first because it starts off real easy but once that shark shows up, it's a tense ride.

If I have one complaint it's that sometimes it's hard to tell if a fish is bigger than you or the same size since they kinda look alike and the color scheme makes it hard to pick out details

Now this may be intentional but it still pisses me off.

Yeah...:| I tried to make the fishes' colors different enough - going from littlest to biggest, they alternate (roughly) between dark and light colors - but I could have done better.

Still, that's a MINOR complaint. This is a fantastic and highly addictive game.

Thanks; glad it doesn't detract from the game too much. :)

I don't know if this is the right place to mention this or not, but I've done some research on the connection between Shark! Shark! and Go Fish!. While many players believe that Go Fish! is a direct descendant of Shark! Shark!, this couldn't be further from the truth.

You see, vdub based Go Fish! on a popular flash game known as Fishy. Fishy has the same basic gameplay mechanics present in Go Fish! (and many other fish-eating derivitives), but with a bit nicer graphics. (Kind of expected, eh? :)) As it so happens, Fishy was written by the CEO (and probably sole employee) of XGenStudios, Skye Boyes. While I was expecting to have to interview Mr. Boyes to learn where his inspiration came from, it so happens that he answered the matter in the XGenStudios Online Forums.

According to Mr. Boyes, the idea was inspired by an Apple II game he played as a child. The members of his forum identified the game as Odell Lake. Unlike Fishy, Odell Lake was not an action/arcade game. It was an educational, eco-system simulator produced by MECC. (Makers of the popular edutainment title Oregon Trail.) The game required you to manage the inhabitants of a lake through a series of prompts. Most notably, you were often given the option to have certain fish either eat other fish or swim away. This element of gameplay inspired Mr. Boyes to develop an action/arcade game based on the concept of eating fish to grow in size. Thus he managed to reinvent the core concept behind Shark! Shark! some 20+ years after it was released for the Intellivision!

As a result, Go Fish! is a direct decendent of Odell Lake, not Shark! Shark!. Many of the elements from Shark! Shark! that have found their way into Go Fish! are entirely due suggestions from AtariAgers who have experience with the Intellivision.

And now you know... the rest of the story. Good day! :)

</paul-harvey>

Edit: Clarified the text and fixed a bunch of typos/misspellings.

Edited by jbanes

And now I know. :P

Thanks for the info, though parts of it read a little weird...

Also, what does this mean:

Any and all elements of the Intellivision game that have found their way into Go Fish! are entirely due to the cross-pollination created by AtariAge's experience with the Intellivision.

EDIT: I was initially inspired by Fishy to write a 1K 2600 version for the minigame compo - feedback from AA members motivated me to write a full (eventually 8K) version. An AA member (don't remember who) also tipped me off to Shark! Shark! - I've never owned an INTV - and so I played that game in emulation.

The end result: the basic concept was inspired by Fishy, many of the specific elements (the shark, etc.) were inspired by Shark! Shark! The shark in Go Fish! is black just like the shark in Shark! Shark!, for example.

This is all fairly apparent if you read the thread dedicated to the development of Go Fish! in the homebrew forum.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Thanks for the info, though parts of it read a little weird...

Sorry about that. It's kind of hard to work around the punctuation problems incurred by Go Fish! and Shark! Shark!. I hope most of it was readable. Would you like me to take another crack at cleaning it up?

Also, what does this mean:
Any and all elements of the Intellivision game that have found their way into Go Fish! are entirely due to the cross-pollination created by AtariAge's experience with the Intellivision.

Ah, that's quite easy to explain. Obviously, neither Odell Lake or Fishy have sharks, jellyfish, or electric eels in them. These are elements more commonly found in Shark! Shark!. From my reading of the Go Fish! development thread, these enemies were suggested by AtariAgers who were familiar with Shark! Shark!. Thus you started with a derivitive of Fishy, but ended up with elements of Shark! Shark! mixed in.

Does that help? :)