IGNORED

What 2600 games are not compatiable with the 7800?

jboypacman

It depends, compatibility changed throughout the course of production, but I've never heard of Spider Fighter having issues. Most likely its just the Activision cart being picky, I bet you could've got it going if you kept at it and tried it several times.

This link is from the AtariAge 7800 faq, discusses what isn't compatible.

http://www.atariage.com/7800/faq/index.htm...mID=7800#cat3_3

Starmaster doesn't work right for me (it starts to roll just before the TV loses the signal lock), but otherwise I haven't had any problems with Activision games. (I explicitly avoid Space Shuttle.) I just played Spider Fighter last week. My suggestion with your 7800 is:

1. Clean the pins on the cartridge. (Even if it works on your 2600, it may not be making a clean connection on your 7800. It might also help clean out crud in the port.)

2. Mess with it a bit. Activision carts don't fit all that great, so you tend to have to look for that sweet spot to get them to work. Sometimes you need to jam them all the way down. Sometimes you need to apply a slight bit of pressure forward or backward. Sometimes you need to pull on the cart a bit so that it's not so far down. Eventually, you should be able to get it to work. :)

Edited by jbanes

I find it interesting that most of the 2600 games that DON'T work on the 7800 are from Activision...

They knew the most about the 2600 hardware, so they pulled the most stunts. Considering the semi-analog/semi-digital nature of the TIA, I'd say that the 7800's compatibility is pretty good.

That's just because Activision titles don't fit right. The only two titles I know of that aren't compatible with any 7800 period are Space Shuttle and Dark Chambers. But who needs to play 2600 Dark Chambers when there's a 7800 version that's easy to get?

Aside from that, I've heard Robot Tank and the Supercharger don't work with all 7800's. Anything else, to my knowledge, boils down to either dirty contacts, a malfunctioning cart, or an incompatible cart case, such as Tigervision's, Activision's, or Imagic's.

There are FAQs out there for modding the cart port to accept all cart cases, including Tigervision's.

Does someone know if Jawbreaker fits the slot? The one I recall having had a non locking springy dust cover like the first Pole Position II carts did. It seems Tigervision was making those non locking dust covers before Atari and Mythicon were.

Anything else, to my knowledge, boils down to either dirty contacts, a malfunctioning cart, or an incompatible cart case, such as Tigervision's, Activision's, or Imagic's.

I'm quite certain that Pitfall II doesn't work on some of the 7800s out there. Also, I can say from experience that StarMaster doesn't work, but that may be an incompatibility with my television (too many scanlines, perhaps?) rather than the 7800.

Edited by jbanes

Does someone know if Jawbreaker fits the slot? The one I recall having had a non locking springy dust cover like the first Pole Position II carts did. It seems Tigervision was making those non locking dust covers before Atari and Mythicon were.

Jawbreaker didn't work in my 7800 until I opened it up and took the key out. Or whatever that plastic cover thing is supposed to be called.

Space Shuttle doesn't work?

I swear it worked in mine.

Regarding incompatibilities, here's what you need to know:

1 -- Only a small handful of games of the 1000 or so on the 2600 are problematic. Some folks like to claim that "tons of games don't work", but it's really only the weeniest fraction.

2 -- Not all of said few trouble games are problematic on all 7800s. I've had Robot Tank work just fine on one 7800 and crap out on another.

3. Some of the troubled games actually are problematic because the cases have trouble fitting in the slot, not because the game itself is incompatible.

I just tried Space Shuttle in my 7800 and it seems to work. I didn't play it but the title screen comes up just fine. So I guess "doesn't work in any 7800's" isn't true after all

Did you read the FAQ? Some 7800's work and some don't. Just because it works on yours doesn't mean that it works for everyone.

Again, I can personally confirm that Starmaster rolls on my 7800. Yet I'm willing to bet that it works fine for many other 7800 owners. The 7800 is a crapshoot when it comes to complex titles. Yes, there are only a few games that ever exhibit problem, but they DO occur.

get yourself an '84 model 7800 and all is good, not one 2600 doesn't play on the 84 model from my experience. IF you get a 86 - 88 model you might have to do the C64 resistor MOD for some games to work right. All you do is remove one resistor and your golden. It's no brain surgery so if your not totally electroic savvy you can still do this without worries of ruining your console :)

I've never had trouble with Robot Tank on my Atari 7800. And as for Dark Chambers, I'm surprised to hear that it wouldn't work, since it was released under the Red Label variant (when Atari was trying to revive the 2600 by instructing users to insert the game into their 2600 or 7800.) It works just fine for me.

Also, Food Fight has always worked fine for me.

Edited by LarcenTyler

The only problems I have had havce been carts that don't fit, for some bizare reason or another. But, usually a DUPE of the same game will fit just fine. Other than that it has played everything I've fed it, even Jr. Pac-Man which gave me hell on all but my 7800. My Pitfall 2 works fine.

-Ray