IGNORED

opinions on famiclones?

Hey all.

I am fishing for feedback in regards to the recent wash of Famiclones/NESclones that are out there. They seem like a inexpensive alternative (ie:a cheap player console). A few things that have me considering one of these is:

1. The novelty factor... I own an older clone, but don't use it... it's a Micro Genius IQ 501. As far as I can tell, it's not from the states. My N64 style clone is ok, but it has a bunch of built in games, and it's hard to play when there is a cart plugged in.

2. Size. I have seen some of these things, and they are rather dimunitive in size. Being cramped for space, I could hardly see the harm in dumping $20 on something that would get fairly regular play.

3. Cost. It's cheap, what can I say... it'd be an experement, but not an expensive one.

4. Side by side comparison to the real thing. I own a number of NES consoles. I try to play it regularly, but don't always have the room. I could run a side by side comparison between the clone, and the original.

Does anyone have experience with the newer clones? I have read very mixed reviews on these things. Everything from "they're great" to "they suck, and will break your carts." Can someone shed some light on this? I haven't run my Twin Famicom (made by Sharp... liscensed by Nintendo) yet, as I am not sure whether I need a step down converter for the power supply... and the last thing I want to do is burn up an expensive, valued, and intriguing piece of my collection.

Has anyone used the Messiah NEX? The Yobo NeoFami? These are pretty much the two that I know of that are out there... at least the ones that have cared to try and make some profits from the patent expirations, aside from the company that made the PocketFami (Gametech?).

Just curious. Getting a new clone is by no means a necessity, for either the NES, or Fami (or both with the NEX, or a converter). My curiosity often gets the better of me...

I have a Yobo, and while they are cheap, try and get a toaster NES instead as they are usually the same price.

the Yobo's soud is off, and from what I've heard, some games won't work on it. I've also heard rumors that this system doesn't suport the zapper, though I can't say because I've never tried it.

The Yobo does support other NES controllers though, including the NES Max.

I use my toaster NES now but have a Yobo for a back-up. I've lived way too long without a functional NES! Mine broke when I was 15, and I just got these about a year ago, now being 24.

I have many NES consoles. All toasters though, none are top-loaders (much to my dismay...as these are supposedly the most reliable version). Although if I can find a top-loader, I'd buy it..the AV unit is more easily adapted (I think) for modern TVs... I wonder how long it will be before an RF input is no longer used? Oh well...just prattling on.

I only own one of the N64-shaped Famiclone that you mentioned, madhatter667. But I have played demo units in the malls and flea markets of various Famiclones. My own personal reaction is that they're usually average-to-good quality, with the occasional lemon. They're all certainly very interesting, in particular the odd shaped ones (remember last year's "penguin" model?). The quality can differ between the types of consoles, and indeed between consoles of the same type. For example, I have a find N64 clone with good sound and everything is about spot on with the NES except for a few minor exceptions. But I have played similar units (the same kind, mind you), with some severe sound flaws (missing channels, anyone?).

So I would assume that the bottom line is that buying a Famiclone of any kind, as opposed to buying an official NES console, is more or less a crap shoot. Some clones have better reputation than others, and if you're going to go for a clone, you most likely want to get one that has received decent reviews. While the clone systems won't play every single NES game (games that have extra hardware like Castlevania III, for instance, are suspect), the majority of them (I've heard around 95% or so) apparently will play on the clones just fine. So the bottom line: Do the research, and make sure that if you purchase a Famiclone, you do have a method of returning it on the off-chance it doesn't work right.

... and that N64 shaped one whose name I forget.

It's called "Power Player" on the box and the second player's Genesis-style controller, and "Super Joy III" on the N64 stick. The set also comes with a light gun in the shape of those old toy cap pistols from the 1980s (you know... when they could make them the same colors as a real gun :P ). The gun is probably the best quality device of the whole set.

But then again all these cheaper-made things (unlike the Yobo, Messiah, and that bunch) have funny names like that. "Super Mega Joy XI 24 10000-in-1 (40) Ultra Fun Power Player Super Game Fun Set". :D

I have a Yobo I picked up off of ebay. I don't have any complaints and it seems to be pretty true to the NES. I'm not sure if colors or sound or exact since I haven't played a real NES in over 10 years but it seems good enough for the games I've played on it.

Anyone considering buying one...

Make sure you buy one that accepts NES joysticks. Some use cheaper connectors with a different form factor connector.

Don't assume sound is bad on all models since these vary from one unit to the next depending on manufacturer.

I can't see how the connector would be responsible for broken cartriges unless a user is careless.

If you buy one from ebay make sure you check the shipping since some are advertised cheap but have higher shipping.

If I get one, I know of a few places other than eBay to pick one up, I even know of a cool little hole in the wall shop that has them for sale (since the patents were up, and apparently not renewed, these clones are legit business it seems). That shop does specialize a bit in import gaming, and since not everyone can afford to throw down $100+ for a real Famicom from them, they have the clone units as an alternative (so if someone wants to play, they can have an economical option).

There are plenty of clones on ebay with the shipping clearly listed though too...and even the cheaper ones with the higher shipping (hmm...avoiding fees?) add up to about the same price as everything else. The pricing seems stable, if nothing else.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Yobo and its awesome. Honestly for $20 you get a good console, 2 controllers and av inputs (bless the technology fairy lol). I have little trouble with it except for some weird loading sequences and problems with some games (Will not play Castelvania III for the life of it or River City Ransom) other than that it is a great system. It handles nice and the controllers are great. I use it to keep wear on my toaster down and for long gaming sessions. The Yobo is a very nice product for what you pay.