IGNORED

bounty bob strikes back:5200-8 bits: the difference

lucifershalo

They're exactly the same. The only difference is that the 5200 version has a neat Big Five splash screen that I swear isn't in the 8-bit version (I'd have to chedck to be sure though).

Somewhere I read that you could actually take the chips out of the 8-bit version of miner and put them into the 5200 version and they would run without modification (and vice versa). Don't know if that's true for BBSB or not.

Tempest

• 10 months later...

Sorry for the Necrobump, but I've been playing both versions and there are subtle differences. For example, on the first stage of the 5200 version, the small platforms at the top that you must jump to after exiting the transporter/elevator thingy are twice as wide as they are on the 8bit version of the game. There are other small platforms in other levels that are wider on the 5200, too. I think they must have done this to make it easier to play with the 5200's poor controllers.

Somewhere I read that you could actually take the chips out of the 8-bit version of miner and put them into the 5200 version and they would run without modification (and vice versa). Don't know if that's true for BBSB or not.

I don't see how that could possibly be the case, since the 5200 and 8-bit have ANTIC and GTIA at different locations in the address space, not to mention the vast differences in OS and zero page locations.

Maybe where this comes from is that Big5 had the ability to compile the same code for either the 8-bt or the 5200, which can be done with different equates for each target machine.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as switching ROMs between the 8-bit and 5200 versions goes, it couldn't be done. I opened mine (oh, so many years ago) and much to my dismay, the ROMs were surface mounted. It was probably cheaper to manufacture that way, but damn.

Sorry for the Necrobump, but I've been playing both versions and there are subtle differences. For example, on the first stage of the 5200 version, the small platforms at the top that you must jump to after exiting the transporter/elevator thingy are twice as wide as they are on the 8bit version of the game. There are other small platforms in other levels that are wider on the 5200, too. I think they must have done this to make it easier to play with the 5200's poor controllers.

Screenshot?

Tempest

See red circled blocks.

Well I'll be damned... Have you gone through the rest of the levels and looked for more differences? I always thought that the game was insanely difficult (I got through it once) on the 8-bit, but maybe the 5200 version with a joystick alternative is the way to play it?

Tempest

Have you gone through the rest of the levels and looked for more differences?

Not with documentation in mind, but have noticed the larger platforms in other levels of the 5200 version, too.

Edit: The birds bringing the letters in for the credits is there in both versions though.

Edited by djpubba