IGNORED

Plops - My unfinished life work

nmoog

Hi guys, my last post here was many months ago, and I think this is my first outside of the "2600 newbie" forum too.

I learned of the Atari homebrew scene in May and spent the next few months trying to learn what seemed (and still does seem) like the unlearnable. I got a bit of a "game" going thanks to everyone here's help.

But work has all but killed my free time, and I don't think I'll get back to it in the near future. So I'm posting it as a way of saying "I asked you guys lots of stupid questions, but I WAS actually doing something with all your advice! Thank you!". It is just the beginning of a game, and there are more buggy bits than not-buggy bits. But on the other hand - I wrote a tune for it!

My game is called "Plops". It is set on a Sunday afternoon. On a tranquil lake.

You are a well-to-do, mis-behaved rapscallion - out to destroy the fun of others.

The aim is to collect the stones that wash up on the shore (um, the small black dots) and toss them at the sailboats that drift across the lake. The longer you hold fire, the further you throw.

But beware the dreaded purple thingo that for reasons unknown incessantly fly toward you. Use your mighty up arrow to defy it! (its a bit tricky - i just played it then for the first time in ages - I must have just got used to it).

Thanks again for all your help - I hope I'll be back again when I get a less crappy job :)

plops5.zipplops5.bin

That's a very attractive and charming WIP game - "demo" is certainly an understatement.

Sure rough and buggy somewhat, but what's there is quite entertaining and addictive already!

Really love the original game idea, brings back that early 80's feeling when game creators' fantasy was not yet tunneled into a few genres or themes and surprised us with wacky action games :)

Hope you'll get back to finish it sooner than later, it would definetely enrich the 2600 library!

• 2 months later...

*bump*

I just found this game. I love this. Everyone, please try this game. Demo was an understatement. It's like saying the sun is visible.

Somebody (Al, Jarret) needs to round up all of the programmer's who have taken projects to the point of being interesting, and abandoned them, and make some sort of "demo" multicart. (I think Randy did this back in the day.) Stuff like Plops and John Harvery's PG2 shouldn't just be forgotten.