IGNORED

So what's wrong with Donkey Kong?

Atarifever

I aways hear people say this is just a port of the NES Donkey Kong, and not as good as other Atari releases (except the 2600). Now, I'm no expert on these sorts of things, but I grew up with NES Donkey Kong, and with no arcades in the area, only realized it was an arcade game years later when the internet came out. Thus, I have a lot of experience with DK for the NES and none for it anywhere else. However, today I got Donkey Kong 7800 in the mail. I plugged it in expecting the same game I had always played on the NES. However, this game feels a lot faster to me (on standard even), and it looks crisper (now that could be a result of my nice new gold plated coaxial to female RCA adapter being better than the RF thing that came with my NES back in the mid 80s). I already like it better than the NES version, and I was prepared for it to be the EXACT same as the NES version but with crappy sound. Am I missing some flaw here that makes this a bad game?

By the way, I also got DK Jr. and it came with that Atari Advantage poster catelogue. I'm thinking of putting it up in my Graduate Study room (which already has a bunch of viedogame posters). Does anyone think that's a bad idea I could end up regreting? I know it's a nice colector's piece, but t's also a really cool poster.

Edited by Atarifever

Man, everyone sure was right about the sound though. It's honestly the worst case yet of a game that made the sound capabilities of the 7800 look that much worse than those of the NES. I think it's because it honestly looks better to me than the NES version, but then it sounds as handicapped as the 2600 version. It's like having a HDTV outputting sound through a phonograph.

While there there was no pokey sound chip or no fourth level, there are are worse ports out there like karateka for the 7800. I know Karateka was lazy programming, but still that games has more things to be improved on like the control and the sound at least.

I think Donkey Kong for the 7800 is overrated in terms of what is wrong with it. Outside of the 5200/atari 8 bit computer version there has been a version having all four screens. Take away the sound issue it is the same problem as all the versions of Donkey Had except for the 5200/atari 8 bit version. The 5200/8 bit version isn't perferect with Donkey Kong being on the right side of the screen when it should be on the lift side of the screen for stage 1 like the arcade version was.

Doesn't it mean the 7800 version couldn't be impoved? of course not! If a homebrewer wants to do an improved version of it, I wouldn't mind for that reason.

It is too much of a big deal for the 7800 verssion missing the 4th screen when no one is complaining about the nes version missing it except for reviewers that played the arcade version and I didn't hear any complaints about the colecovision version either.

Edited by 8th lutz

Donkey kong and DK Jr. are both excellent for the 7800. Only negative thing I can say is the sound could have been better.

Yes,Atari could never seem to get anything right could they?(they did with the 2600 though!),:),it was either crummy controllers,(5200)or the great 7800,but with the 2600 sound chip,and numerous other examples,stating the reason for the crummy sound was that 1 ,there wasnt enough room on the 7800 motherboard for a POKEY chip,(how big is this chip anyway?)and 2,it was too expensive,doesnt make sense to me,since Atari had to put pokeys in their"super enhanced 7800 carts,where as they could have put one in each console?maybe there was less consoles than carts produced?or the other way around?,i dont know,just weird why they did that,its really ashame,maybe the good ole miser MR.JACK TRAMIEL made that decision,to help fatten his bank account,guess he is no different than other greedy execs,anyway,the 7800 would have just been much better with a more advanced sound chip.

Edited by Rik

While there there was no pokey sound chip or no fourth level, there are are worse ports out there like karateka for the 7800. I know Karateka was lazy programming, but still that games has more things to be improved on like the control and the sound at least.

I think Donkey Long for the 7800 is overrated in terms of what is wrong with it. Outside of the 5200/atari 8 bit computer version there has been a version having all four screens. Take away the sound issue it is the same problem as all the versions of Donkey Had except for the 5200/atari 8 bit version. The 5200/8 bit version isn't perferect with Donkey Kong being on the right side of the screen when it should be on the lift side of the screen for stage 1 like the arcade version was.

Doesn't it mean the 7800 version couldn't be impoved? of course not! If a homebrewer wants to do an improved version of it, I wouldn't mind for that reason.

It is too much of a big deal for the 7800 verssion missing the 4th screen when no one is complaining about the nes version missing it except for reviewers that played the arcade version and I didn't hear any complaints about the colecovision version either.

I thought the colecovision version was horrible. The 5200 version was decent, but the colors seem washed out to me. 7800 graphics are far superior and cleaner than the 5200 version one.

By the way, what's with the manual art being different from the cart and box art? Mario looks like some kind of villan who ties you to the railroad tracks on the manual. As well, his girlfriend looks different. On DK Jr.'s box and cart he does look the way he looks on the DK manual.

I think it's an adequate port, though it could've been a little better, given how well several other arcade ports turned out.

I believe it's a port of the NES DK (as opposed to Arcade DK) because the 7800 DK shares some quirks with the NES version not often seen in other ports or the arcade version, such as:

Limited to 3 screens, which run in regular order

same format for bonus time/lives/level

Pauline sits on wierd separated platform to fit on screen.

No intro

When DK falls at the end of the rivet screen, he spreads out his arms when he splats and moves. Arcade DK flips upside down but pose is unchanged, except for the eyeballs/expression.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/donkey-kong/screenshots

(screen grabs of several versions of DK.)

Edited by Feralstorm

http://www.mobygames.com/game/donkey-kong/screenshots

(screen grabs of several versions of DK.)

Wow, on those shots the NES version looks way better. I'm going to have to have my NES RF thing replaced. Of course, those screens of the 7800 version seem a little more squat than it actually is I think. Maybe my TV's just having a really good night or something.

And what's up with the colors on the 8-bit version? Is that right?

Edited by Atarifever

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of opinions here. I'll be happy to contribute mine...

First... as far as I know, the C=64 version is allegedly the most complete. I read a review on the site where the guy compares all of the various versions and rates them Haves or Have Nots. The C-64 was his pick. I've only played the C-64 version via emulation, and I didn't care for it.

I agree with Jetset, though. Play the 5200/8 bit version, and you'll understand what is wrong with the 7800 version. It starts with the graphics, which are truer to the arcade and very nicely done, but just weird looking. I just can't get past how fat Mario's ass is in the 7800 version. He needs to lay off the pasta. It is all going straight to his thighs.

But the overall FEEL of the game lacks excitement. Granted, the NES version is no winner either. Which is kind of the point. Graphically, they both look the same, and play pretty crappy, and the NES has better sound. If the 7800 version is slightly faster, it isn't fast enough.

The 5200/8 bit version on the other hand, isn't really very true to the original. But it doesn't have to be. Many of us would argue it is a BETTER game. The tempo is far faster than even the arcade game. I've got a MAME cabinet and I find the real version far easier than the 5200 version. Less challenging, less engaging, and less enjoyable. The 5200 version is also erratic in a very enjoyable way. In the 5200 case, you never know which pattern it is going to throw at you, and it seems almost adaptive. It is just a well executed piece of programming that really illustrates the power and ability of the hardware it runs on.

The 5200 version makes it clear that whatever other complaints you might have, the 5200 really was a powerful hardware platform, whereas the 7800 was a hobbled and flawed hardware platform.

I'm just not a fan of 7800 native mode. I'm always afraid Noobs will read this and draw conclusions about the 7800 that I don't intend, though. The 7800 has an especially important place of importance in the retro gaming world, because it is 2600 backwards compatible and works with the CC2. Anyone thinking about getting back into the 2600 should really consider a 7800 as their first step. Although, if Curt V. has his way, the 7800 may lose it's unique status in this regard, and I for one would certain like to see that plan come to fruition.

I'll add this about 7800 DK. It isn't that it is bad, it is that it isn't the BEST... and this is perhaps made worse by the fact that it shows SO MUCH potential... which may result in it being a bigger disappointment still. I mean, 7800 Xevious trounces the 5200/8 bit version, and there is every indication that it wasn't just because the 5200 version was a proto. The 5200 simply didn't have the (graphic) horsepower for this title, and the 7800 did. So, don't chalk me up as a 5200 fanboy and 7800 hater. If the 7800 has the edge, I'll gladly point that out. And thought it may have had that edge, it so rarely actually DID anything useful with that edge, that it turns the 7800 into a bitter reminder of how Atari lost its way and gave up on itself, something it still hasn't recovered from.

Edited by Paranoid

I don't like the sound (obviously), I don't like Mario's jerky animation, I don't like the fat hammers, I don't like the screen order, and I don't like that it's missing the cement factory. None of these issues are present in the 8-bit version.

Mario's jerky animations.Heck seems like any movement is jerkier.This game doesn't run at 60 fps,right?The NES seems a lot smoother in motion.

First... as far as I know, the C=64 version is allegedly the most complete. I read a review on the site where the guy compares all of the various versions and rates them Haves or Have Nots. The C-64 was his pick. I've only played the C-64 version via emulation, and I didn't care for it.

You have to be careful, because two different versions of Donkey Kong were released for the C64. The Nintendo/Atarisoft one is a lot better than the Ocean one, but the Ocean version is a lot easier to come by. If you find it to be a less than stellar experience, then you're probably playing the Ocean version. :)

The C= 64 version known as Donkey Kong '87 was the best of the bunch

That's the Ocean version! (Boo! Hiss!) :D

Edit: I should probably point out that opinions are divided. Some people do actually prefer the Ocean version. Myself, I think the Atarisoft version is better. *shrug* Try them both, and see which one you like.

Edited by jbanes