IGNORED

Anyone get 2600 console to work...

Uzumaki

with modern HDTV? NTSC is on its way out and has about 2 years left before all stations are supposed to shut off NTSC signal for good. NTSC TVs would become rather scare after that and it's likely that most people would eventually replace them with HDTV and use NTSC converter for older equipment. Most local thirft shops don't take used TV so that's out.

Atari 2600 (and some other pre NES consoles) sometimes don't get along with modern TV. With HDTV, I got to wonder if anyone has used a non Flashback 2600 console to work on the newer TVs?

If I ever have to replace my current TV, I will pay Best Buy geek squad (or whatever) to come over and install the HDTV and make sure they work. Pepto-bismol required for them as I have like 20 game systems all hooked up at once and the mess of wires is sure to give most people nightmares. For an added bonus, I have an odd 2600 Solaris that causes my TV to roll like its PAL even though it was sold in USA stores and display proper color.

Yes I am evil sometimes. But it's not really my fault that 30 year old system are a fickle. :D

Edited by Uzumaki

with modern HDTV? NTSC is on its way out and has about 2 years left before all stations are supposed to shut off NTSC signal for good. NTSC TVs would become rather scare after that and it's likely that most people would eventually replace them with HDTV and use NTSC converter for older equipment. Most local thirft shops don't take used TV so that's out.

Atari 2600 (and some other pre NES consoles) sometimes don't get along with modern TV. With HDTV, I got to wonder if anyone has used a non Flashback 2600 console to work on the newer TVs?

If I ever have to replace my current TV, I will pay Best Buy geek squad (or whatever) to come over and install the HDTV and make sure they work. Pepto-bismol required for them as I have like 20 game systems all hooked up at once and the mess of wires is sure to give most people nightmares. For an added bonus, I have an odd 2600 Solaris that causes my TV to roll like its PAL even though it was sold in USA stores and display proper color.

Yes I am evil sometimes. But it's not really my fault that 30 year old system are a fickle. :D

Yes,a prime example of how we're all becoming slaves of technology,by having to replace all our older electronics with the pricier advanced ones that break down 4-5 times a year,which leaves less,and less and less nest egg for retirement,or vacations,etc.

I was planning on bringing something like this up.

I've been wanting to use my Atari with a new projector I got, but currently there is no way to hook it up, as the projector has no coax, it just has s-video, composite, component, and vga.

Any suggestions on an easy way to hook an Atari up?

Will I need some sort of converter?

A VCR will work as a converter. The VCS is also moderately easy to modify for composite or S-video output if you have basic electronics skills. There may also be someone who will do a mod for you for a small fee. There are a couple of sources for plug-in modules to make the mods without changes to the circuit boards (but you will still need to modify the case to add jacks, unless you replace the stock RF cable with cable(s) ending in the jacks you need).

HDTV taking over?if it does,and i wouldnt be surprised if it actually did,i'd be packing it in,as i refuse to buy an hdtv,(partly cause i NEVER buy new technology until the price goes down and the bugs are taken out,)unless there will be a converter available,to convert back to ntsc,havent checked in on it yet,im still thinking about the new hd-blue ray players!!!!!!!!which i will NOT buy either,too many probs reported by buyers of that junk,seems that and cars is where all my moneys going.