IGNORED

2006 Holiday Cart Ideas Wanted

Albert

Okay, I'm getting a bit of a late start on this, but hey, it's not November just yet! As with the previous three years, I'd like to do a 2006 AtariAge Holiday Cart of some sort. In 2003 we did a nice static image produced by Andrew Davie (with an painting drawn by Dave Exton), in 2004 Andrew hacked Qb to give it a Christmas theme, and in 2005 Bob Montgomery wrote Reindeer Rescue, an original 16K homebrew game programmed in a remarkably short amount of time. :)

This year I'd like to have an original title of some sort, if possible, but would like to restrict the size of the game to 4K. I gave out a tremendous number of these carts last year, and it's pretty expensive to do so when they are bankswitch carts. Plus the bankswitch carts take longer to assemble--PLDs have to be programmed, the PLD is 24-pins versus a 14-pin TTL chip, and there are two more discrete parts as well. So a 4K game is what I'm after. And it doesn't necessarily _have_ to be a game, either, although a game would probably get more "play" than a demo cart of some kind. I will also entertain hacks of existing homebrew games, as long as you are the author of said game.

I'd like to keep the end result a surprise, so please PM me privately if you have any ideas and/or would like to contribute to this cause. Thanks!!

..Al

I really like the idea of using cartoon special characters. Everyone has a spot in their heart for them, and since literally none seem to exist, it'd be pretty cool. Imagine controlling the Grinch, his dog Max. Rudolph, Frosty. It'd be so much fun.

I like the idea, but I'd really prefer not to infringe on trademarks and copyrights with this game. That doesn't mean cartoon-like characters can't be used, just not someone else's existing cartoon characters. :)

..Al

A couple of ideas (outside the 4k limit):

The shapes in Strat-o-gems could be hacked to holiday shapes (trees, candy canes, stockings, etc) and the game could be renamed to something like Santa-Gems. There could also be voice-overs with the Atarivox like "Ho Ho-riffic!" or something equally as cheesy.

Hunchy II could be hacked (with 14 new screens) to have Santa Claus trying to deliver Christmas presents in a timely/safe manner. The title music could be changed to Jingle Bells or something more fitting to the Holiday theme. At the end, Santa could be rewarded milk and cookies by the Christmas tree.

Hack Hunchy (I) into a Frosty the Snowman game. I actually halfway did this a year ago.

I think this would be easy enough to do, and there would be plenty of room for enhancements as Hunchy is only 1K. However, this would require someone to design the sprites as I'm hopeless at drawing (unless the ones from RR were reused). Do you have a binary for your half-attempt?

Hack Nightrider into Reindeer Rescue II :lol:

I don't see this ever being as good as RR.

Chris

Hunchy II could be hacked (with 14 new screens) to have Santa Claus trying to deliver Christmas presents in a timely/safe manner. The title music could be changed to Jingle Bells or something more fitting to the Holiday theme. At the end, Santa could be rewarded milk and cookies by the Christmas tree.

Hunchy II is only 4K. :)

..Al

Hunchy II is only 4K. :)

..Al

I realized that almost immediately after I posted. I downloaded the ROM and changed the player sprite to Santa; Unexpectedly my changes made it so that if the player is against the left wall, he will fall through the floor and die. Also, sometimes when you pick up a bell, two disappear! :? :lolblue:

post-887-1162320315_thumb.jpg

(I did very little to the player sprite, but I think it would be passable as a Santa given the colors were changed.)

Edited by mojofltr

I've received several ideas already (both privately and publicly in this thread!) and want to thank everyone who's responded so far. I'll have to mull these over and decide which avenue I'd like to pursue. But I'm leaving it open for another 24 hours or so (about the time I get back in Austin!) so please keep those imagination caps on! ;)

Thanks!

..Al

If you wanted to do a logo (perhaps with Christmas music in the background?) you might consider making it spin like this demo I was working on. (Scroll down to Mausboy.bin.) The AtariAge logo is already 3 color, so all you need is a low resolution version of a spinning animation. A gradient could be applied vertically (if desired) and the AtariAge title could be placed at the top in red.

Add in the ability to change the spin with the joystick, and select between a few Christmas tunes with the button, and you've have a very cool "electronic toy" in 4K. :D

I really like the idea of using cartoon special characters. Everyone has a spot in their heart for them, and since literally none seem to exist, it'd be pretty cool. Imagine controlling the Grinch, his dog Max. Rudolph, Frosty. It'd be so much fun.

I like the idea, but I'd really prefer not to infringe on trademarks and copyrights with this game. That doesn't mean cartoon-like characters can't be used, just not someone else's existing cartoon characters. :)

..Al

Ahhh, I understand. I've always wanted a game like this so I had to give it a shot. As long as it has a Christmas theme with lots of fancy green and red lights, presents and trees, I'd be impressed. To me, the 2600 is defined by those colorful screens, it's what makes or breaks a game for me.

A couple of ideas (outside the 4k limit):

The shapes in Strat-o-gems could be hacked to holiday shapes (trees, candy canes, stockings, etc) and the game could be renamed to something like Santa-Gems. There could also be voice-overs with the Atarivox like "Ho Ho-riffic!" or something equally as cheesy.

Another EXCELLENT IDEA