IGNORED

Ebay Fami Twin SNES/NES System Reliability

chuckwalla

Anyone buy this or have any experience with these systems.

I assume it has similar reliability as the Messiah NES clone (?)

Any input appreciated.

On ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...mMakeTrack=true

very nice. had no idea these even existed. need to find same info out as well. please help anyone.

Probably not. Some of those unlicensed clones do not have lockout chip and a unlicensed 3rd party games are designed to bypass the lockout chip. A few of them may not work on unlicensed console because it can't bypass a nonexistient lockout chip.

A few SNES games (Mario RPG I think and a few more) were designed to refuse to play on consoles without the lockout chip. So it may be interesting to see if this console will work properly or not.

It looks like SNES system with a Tri-star adapter in one unit. Might get one of that for myself to free up the space.

Uhm, the Tri-Star is a N64 add-on that let's you play N64, SNES and NES in a N64. You know, tri as in three? :ponder:

Is there really a system or an adapter like this that will play N64, SNES, and NES games. I was gonna get the one on ebay, but would rather have one system that would play all three games for sure. Is this currently being sold? Or will be. Would wait if something like this will be coming out to be able to play all three. I also have Bible Buffet, Sunday Funday, and a Super famicom cassette (import SNES game). Would these work on the system being sold on ebay? Someone please help if they can.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

I'm so getting one, and snapping the tabs inside if they have em so I can play my super famicom games.

And I will file out the nes cart slot so it can fit 3rd party games. Micro Machines FTW!

Edited by keilbaca

Yes there are devide that plays NES and SNES on N64. I can't remember if it has pass through N64 slot or not.

Now if someone would release an adapter to play 2600/5200/7800 games through Jaguar, I would be very happy. :D

That would be nice. I'd ditch my 7800 and 5200 then for sure. Hate the bulky 5200

It's real hardware from what I'm told so it should actually be 100 percent compatible with all NTSC carts but I have no first hand experience with this machine *yet*.

Well, I've been playing around with one of these - anyone know offhand what a SNES clone would have for compatibility problems? I've tried a bunch of things and they seem fine.

As far as NES - I'm pretty intimately familiar with the NOAC incompatibilities (I've got a whole bunch of clones) - and this unit seems to have the usual suspect issues. i.e. walking through walls in Gauntlet, no display in Castlevania III. Oddly enough this guy runs stuff other clones I have don't run. Sound and video output is quite good. Pack in controllers are serviceable, but not as good as real SNES ones. So far it's pretty cool :cool:

post-5887-1164071851_thumb.jpgpost-5887-1164071867_thumb.jpg

It's real hardware from what I'm told so it should actually be 100 percent compatible with all NTSC carts but I have no first hand experience with this machine *yet*.

Well, I've been playing around with one of these - anyone know offhand what a SNES clone would have for compatibility problems? I've tried a bunch of things and they seem fine.

As far as NES - I'm pretty intimately familiar with the NOAC incompatibilities (I've got a whole bunch of clones) - and this unit seems to have the usual suspect issues. i.e. walking through walls in Gauntlet, no display in Castlevania III. Oddly enough this guy runs stuff other clones I have don't run. Sound and video output is quite good. Pack in controllers are serviceable, but not as good as real SNES ones. So far it's pretty cool :cool:

post-5887-1164071851_thumb.jpgpost-5887-1164071867_thumb.jpg

Can you show some pics of the controllers and the hookups you get with this deal please.

Can you show some pics of the controllers and the hookups you get with this deal please.

They look like standard SNES controllers with standard connectors. They are however different internally I've found. While you can plug in a real SNES controller and use the FCTwin in SNES mode fine, when you switch it to NES the controller does not work properly. Apparently the FCTwin controllers are wired differently to allow them to function with the NES mode circuitry.

I swapped the circuit board out of the FCTwin controller into a SNES controller (the plastics are identical). Works and feels great.

Build quality on the FCTwin itself is good. Plastic case is decently thick and molded just like the mini SNES.

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty neat. I want one ... with wireless controllers ... that can also play Genesis and N64 games. No wait, I already have one of those, it's my XBOX!

So the system select switch is in the power switch? Crazy!

It's weird seeing all these old systems that used to cost so much now in (re)production for next to nothing. Between this, the Coleco Sega unit, the Genesis on a chip machines, and the potential portable Atari Flashback, it doesn't seem like there's anything that CAN'T be done with old systems.

cheaper source here: http://store.videogamecentral.com/fctwin.html

Edited by Flojomojo

Unfortunately Flo, there is a few systems that can't be reproduced cheaply.

Vextrex (built in CRT) It may be possible to do a low cost LCD version the same way there are LCD based digital osciloscope but the display resolution will defiantly suffer and there will be lots of jaggies.

Microvision is another oddity that may not be reproduceable. Unlike other consoles, Microvision put CPU on the cart rather than on the main system. The main has only: LCD, LCD driver, battery holder, sound, and knob.

Adventurevision and Virtualboy (LED array)

Intellivision (used several obsolete and out of production GI chips) Those 10-in-1 and 25-in-1 Intellivison games are really NOAC with crappy port of some Inty games and worse sound.

Coleco Telestar and original Odyssey Pong probably uses a GI design as GI did produce several variations of Pong-on-a-chip. There are some NOS chips, particularly GI AY-3-8500 on eBay ($20 for lot of 13) so you could say we already have pong-on-a-chip capability. Stick it inside a pocket TV and add a knob and you're all set :D

Fairchild Channel F, Arcadia, and O^2 probably won't see the light because not many people knows about it.

If you are after one at an OK price, they're all over ebay, and all pretty much roughly $60 total. I ordered mine from baysoftgames.com, and it came up to something around $58 after shipping. Now I am just itching to get it in the mail. For some reason, I am drawn to odd or interesting bits of game tech... usually of the older variety (anything new is more or less mainstream as it gets... which isn't bad mind you). Current favourites on the unusual list: Twin Famicom (FDS and Fami together, licensed by Nintendo, built by Sharp) very cool piece. The Vectrex, Micro Genius IQ-501 (a decently built famiclone from back in the day), Genesis 3, and my translucent orange PSX.

I'll give input on the machine's performance when I get mine... I happen to have a few titles that people believe will puch compatability boundaries.

"You guys are totally nuts paying $60 for an unofficial clone of the NES/SNES. NOAC clones are horrid for NES games, so you are left with a SNES clone... and they have their own issues, ESPECIALLY when it comes to sound. So, why not spend $60 on a good condition real SNES?"

Hose off already...

I OWN multiple NES and SNES decks. This is interesting regardless. It may also save some space, as well as some convenient inputs. I also want to see for myself how well this thing will work out...since this one is fairly new.

It's new and interesting, with capabilities we haven't seen since the (crappy) Tristar or resorting to emulation. It's sixty bucks, which is not that much in the scheme of things -- a couple tanks of gas or the price of a new video game. I already have a beautiful SNES mini, but I'm still interested in how well this thing works.