IGNORED

Atari 2600 - Another Pong

LS_Dracon

Hi

First all sorry my bad english :(

My name is Ivan and I try to learn some months ago about 2600 programming and assembly.

For test my knowledgement, I made a pong game. I think pong is simplest game to do.

What's up :

Move up or down, and hit the ball, the goal is 11 points.

Press game reset switch to reset game anytime or press controller button to restart after "game over".

There 2 games in zip, the 2 players version and VsCPU.

The VsCPU are bad, I can't made a good AI.

This game have a very bad optimised code :( But works at "high resolution".

Works in Z26 and Stella emulators. :P

EDIT : this is the first version, there a new version below

AnotherPong.zip

Edited by LS_Dracon

May I just take a moment to say, those are some Top Notch Graphics! You should be very proud of yourself! :)

Gameplay-wise, it still needs a lot of tweaking before it's playable. It's a great start, but it's difficult to get that "fun" feeling. The general advice for Pong is:

- Make sure the paddles are fast enough. The original game used Paddle Controllers, so you need to move the onscreen paddles quickly if you want to replicate that feel.

- Hitting different spots on the paddle should spin the ball at different angles. The center should be a horizontal shot, and the outer edges should be a nearly vertical shot.

- When you add different angles, remember that the ball should maintain approximately the same speed. Which means that it should go slower along the X axis while it's moving faster along the Y axis, and slower along the Y axis as it's moving faster across the X axis.

- After a point is scored, there should be a pause until someone serves the ball.

- Don't make the paddles too large or it will become easy to hit the ball.

Keep up the good work! :cool:

Tnx for feedback jbanes.

- Make sure the paddles are fast enough. The original game used Paddle Controllers, so you need to move the onscreen paddles quickly if you want to replicate that feel.

Sub Pixel movement is very complex for me at now, but I'll try increase speed if controller button is pressed.

- Hitting different spots on the paddle should spin the ball at different angles. The center should be a horizontal shot, and the outer edges should be a nearly vertical shot.

I understand, I will try make diferent angles :)

- When you add different angles, remember that the ball should maintain approximately the same speed. Which means that it should go slower along the X axis while it's moving faster along the Y axis, and slower along the Y axis as it's moving faster across the X axis.

I think its not possible for now... Sub pixel movement is the key :(

- After a point is scored, there should be a pause until someone serves the ball.

Yes, I forget pause... this will be done in next version.

- Don't make the paddles too large or it will become easy to hit the ball.

Ok, I will reduce in 4 pixels or more the sprites :cool:

Also, I will try make a pattern colors for sprites, and change colors for score. I need improve the sound, the true I need make a sound, not that annoyng noise :P

Edited by LS_Dracon

Hi people

Sorry the flood, but here's a new version.

What's new ?

- Diferent angles (changed by player movement, move up and ball get high angle, move down to get lower)

- Double speed (hold controller button)

- Pause when the point is scored

- Color gradient for score numbers

What's lack ? (becouse I can't :( )

- Angle changed by hitting player edge or other position

- Sound Fx (not this noise)

- Color gradient for players (I don't have space on kernal for it)

- The middle vertical line (same problem as above)

But this is finished, now I will make some demos, try new things before start to program my first original game.

post-10940-1164846512_thumb.jpg

AnotherPong2.zip

Edited by LS_Dracon