IGNORED

Wolfenstein Next Mission?

sandmountainslim

I am looking at making another purchase in the AA store and I was thinking about Wolfenstein.

I do not/cannot play emulators so I am counting on you folks who have played it to clue me in.

I normally buy homebrews rather than hacks, the only hacks I have bought are x3volux and the Mario Rescue game which Shawn Sr. built last year.

I own both Venture and Venture 2 and I was wondering does Wolfenstein just play like another Venture hack or is their enough new gameplay to it to warrant it's purchase?

If it is just about like playing Venture or V2 I am not interested.

Thanks for any info and advice

WP

It is basically Venture with a few minor changes.I rather enjoy it being a fan of Venture.

I enjoy Venture also and understand I wasn't slamming hacks.

I was just hoping that it was a hack on the level of Hack 'Em rather than Venture 2

WP

I may be biased :D, But Wolfenstein VCS and Wolfenstein:The Next Mission are much more complex then Venture 2. As for Hack 'Em, Everything that Nukey does is way beyond what everyone else does. Just for info Nukey helped on Wolfenstein too.

Wolfenstein is based on Venture but with the changes that have been made it really is an all new game. The game has a completely different atmosphere and is more intense. I'll let the people who have played it tell you what they think. Check out the link below, This is a review on the older Wolfenstein VCS before the improvements made for The Next Mission.

http://www.atariage.com/features/Stan2004/hack.html

Is Wolfenstein basically Venture with a few minor changes?

Wolfenstein VCS Changes from original Venture:

1. Added a title screen

2. All graphics changed for monsters, maps, items, and rooms.

3. All sound FX altered.

4. The scoring system was changed.

5. Touching a corpse no longer hurts the player.

6. The monster corpses are animated to fade away.

7. In the big rooms, the SS guards now patrol in predictable patterns.

8. The game ends after completing 8 levels of play, and shows a victory screen.

9. The movement pattern of the large hall monsters (SS guards entering a room) was changed so that the player can get past the SS guard to the exit.

10. The moving wall room was altered so that the player MUST cross the path of at least 2 walls (or one wall twice).

11. Random moving walls sped up in later levels.

12. For the first 2 levels all room layouts, monsters and items are the same every time you play. For the remaining 3 pairs of levels, however, the room position, room mirroring/non-mirroring, monsters, and monster starting positions are randomized, making 224 possible room/monster configurations.

13. The unlimited arrows weapon for the player was replaced by a long-range gun with limited ammo, and a knife with short range but unlimited use.

14. The score display was altered. The 2 permanent trailing zeros were removed from the score display and recycled as an active weapon icon and ammo indicator bar.

15. The player starts with 4 extra lives not 3.

16. Some items do more than award points. The gun and ammo give the player the gun weapon. The player starts with only the knife. The medkit restores one life up to a maximum of 4 in reserve.

17. There is an additional hidden/secret level in the game.

18. If you finish the entire game including the secret level, then you get to experience a slighty altered title screen in place of the victory screen.

19. Each level of the castle has its own wall color rather than recycling the pink and blue wall colors over and over.

Improvements from Wolfenstein VCS to Wolfenstein:The Next Mission:

1.There are 4 level layouts that repeat twice to make 8 levels rather than 2 layouts repeated 4 times.

2. Updated some colors to make them brighter.

3. The patrolling guards have 4 starting positions now. In the original they had only two starting positions.

4. Picking up the gun or ammo gives you exactly 8 bullets total. So the player can never have more than 8 bullets on hand. This ups the difficulty a pinch. 8 bullets is also the number of bullets in a German Luger pistol, and the max number shown by the ammo bar, so I think it works well.

5. Fixed a bug in the original for randomizing room contents that made ammo show up either too often or not enough.

6. The secret level is easier to find.

7. Updated two zoomed room layouts. One has a minor change, the other has a complete overhaul.

8. All enemies are animated with 2-frames.

9. Changed some of the enemies to creatures so it's not just room after room of guards.

Its a great game no matter how you look at it and am not ripping at it at all.I did buy it because it was based off of more or less Venture.I havnt played Venture2 so i can not make a call on that one.Is it better than the 2600 Venture i would say yes.It is worth getting and i have no regrets buying it myself.But i still feel it is still Venture with improvements.If another one came out i would buy it no problem.I hope i did not offend anyone with my comments about this game.Sorry to all.

Very cool.Were did you pick it up at and how much did it set you back?

I believe it can still be ordered from Packrat and if I am remembering correctly it is around 14 dollars or so.

I have lost the link to the Packrat website, perhaps someone else can provide it?

WP

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got it today!

The package arrived swiftly and well packaged as normal. Albert could sure teach those blasted ebay sellers a thing or two about how to get the merchandise out!

So far I love the game, have only made it to the beginnin of the third floor but it is a big improvement over Venture in my opinion. Only thing I can gripe about (and a small gripe) is that you have to hit restart rather than the game restarting by pressing the fire button. Great job fellers! This will keep me occupied for quite some time.

WP

We had to leave something to add for Wolfenstein:Final Mission :ponder:

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the game. Good luck on escaping...

Don't take my gripe too seriously, I am just old and lazy ;)

Ya'll did an excellent job, my hat is off to you.

WP

Of the homebrews I have, this is my favorite. I have always been a fan of Venture on the CV (not so much Atari.) The theme of this one is really cool. I never knew about the original Wolfenstein stuff, so I thought when I ordered this one, it was going to have something to do with werewolves. :dunce: I was not dissapointed though.

enjoy!

Got it today!

The package arrived swiftly and well packaged as normal. Albert could sure teach those blasted ebay sellers a thing or two about how to get the merchandise out!

So far I love the game, have only made it to the beginnin of the third floor but it is a big improvement over Venture in my opinion. Only thing I can gripe about (and a small gripe) is that you have to hit restart rather than the game restarting by pressing the fire button. Great job fellers! This will keep me occupied for quite some time.

WP

You are supposed to put the console on the floor and operate the select and reset switches with your toes. :ponder:

I am glad you are enjoying the game.

Cheers!

I am still enjoying my game and rate it is one of the most amusing VCS games ever :)

One question for everyone. I don't wish to be told HOW to find the secret level but please tell me is it somewhere that you most likely WILL run up on it if you play enough or do you have to purposely be searching for it?

WP

I am still enjoying my game and rate it is one of the most amusing VCS games ever :)

One question for everyone. I don't wish to be told HOW to find the secret level but please tell me is it somewhere that you most likely WILL run up on it if you play enough or do you have to purposely be searching for it?

WP

You must escape the Castle to find the secret level. When you think the game is over, It's not. ;)

The detailed description of how to find the secret level is floating around in several places and if you really want to know I can PM you.