IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 32: Edtris

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over, and no further scores will be accepted.

The blocks are falling fast, but you can eliminate them by forming horizontal rows. Will you survive, or will you be buried alive?

Game Information

• Game Name: Edtris
  • Released By: Ed Federmeyer, 1995
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: atari2600land

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, December 7th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 8220 (atari2600land) [+11]
  2. 6900 (Nathan Strum) [+10]
  3. 4740 (Rom Hunter) [+9]
  4. 4275 (SeaGtGruff) [+8]
  5. 3195 (Zoyx) [+7]
  6. 2460 (SpiceWare) [+6]
  7. 1935 (Deteacher) [+5]
  8. 1320 (JacubZu7zu7) [+4]
  9. 1275 (rheffera) [+3]
  10. 1260 (LarcenTyler) [+2]
  11. 1230 (vdub_bobby) [+1]
  12. 900 (Goochman) [+1]

Best Tips

• Nathan Strum [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  1. This game is not in Twin Galaxies database.

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [321]
  2. SpiceWare [233]
  3. keilbaca [172]
  4. Deteacher [166]
  5. vdub_bobby [126]
  6. LarcenTyler [125]
  7. the 5th ghost [79]
  8. BrianC [78]
  9. shawnb [71]
  10. scogey [69]
  11. Malc74 [63]
  12. rheffera [61]
  13. atari2600land [50]
  14. shadow460 [47]
  15. JacobZu7zu7 [46]
  16. Cybergoth [42]
  17. Christophero Sly [40]
  18. Goochman [39]
  19. theKLT [37]
  20. 128bytes [34]
  • SeaGtGruff [28]
  • Jred [26]
  • doctorclu [22]
  • phaxda [21]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • mojofltr [17]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • Nathan Strum [12]
  • rjchamp3 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • Recycled [10]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • supercat [5]
  • Biter [2]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]
  • ewing92 [1]
Scoring Points in Edtris
  • Every line you clear earns you 15 points.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. Unfortunately, as this was one of the earlier homebrew releases for the 2600, there never was a manual as far as I know.
A few tips:

* You don't get any points for combos (taking out several rows at once), so focus on just eliminating one row at a time.

* If you get a piece that doesn't fit, minimize the damage by leaving the gap as low on screen as possible.

* If you have to leave a gap, don't worry about it. Focus on just keeping the next row clear, and eventually you'll work your way back down to it.

* If you can keep the board clear by the time you hit level 9, you can basically play forever since it never gets any faster. Unless you start falling asleep.

* If you make a mistake, don't try and fix it. Just focus on clearing one row at a time. If you try and fix it, you will make more mistakes, and that will compound the problem.

* In the earlier rounds, use the joystick to drop the pieces faster, so you get used to playing at a quicker pace.

It's easier once you start to pick up a few techniques. For example, although you don't want to let the screen get filled with incomplete rows, sometimes it's necessary to go ahead and leave gaps in the lower rows (because the right pieces aren't coming up), and then work on clearing the top rows to work your way back down to the gaps so you can fill them in. And once the game gets fast, you're basically screwed if you have too many incomplete rows on the screen, so try to end up with as few rows as you can manage just before you get to level 9.

--Ze_ro

AtariAge doesn't have the rom for this one online, so here it is. There appears to be two different versions of the rom floating around... one of them labelled 1994, and the other labelled 1995. This one here is the 1995 version. Just so we're all on the same page, I think we should all stick with the '95 version, just in case the scoring is different.

--Zero

edtris.bin

Here's my first effort. I got a little bored and lost concentration...

edtris6225.gif

A few tips:

• You don't get any points for combos (taking out several rows at once), so focus on just eliminating one row at a time.
  • If you get a piece that doesn't fit, minimize the damage by leaving the gap as low on screen as possible.
  • If you have to leave a gap, don't worry about it. Focus on just keeping the next row clear, and eventually you'll work your way back down to it.
  • If you can keep the board clear by the time you hit level 9, you can basically play forever since it never gets any faster. Unless you start falling asleep.
  • If you make a mistake, don't try and fix it. Just focus on clearing one row at a time. If you try and fix it, you will make more mistakes, and that will compound the problem.
  • In the earlier rounds, use the joystick to drop the pieces faster, so you get used to playing at a quicker pace.

Someone with far more patience than I can roll this one.

I have no gift with these Tetris games,

It's easier once you start to pick up a few techniques. For example, although you don't want to let the screen get filled with incomplete rows, sometimes it's necessary to go ahead and leave gaps in the lower rows (because the right pieces aren't coming up), and then work on clearing the top rows to work your way back down to the gaps so you can fill them in. And once the game gets fast, you're basically screwed if you have too many incomplete rows on the screen, so try to end up with as few rows as you can manage just before you get to level 9.

post-7456-1165167109_thumb.jpg

Michael

post-9059-1165212877_thumb.jpg

Testris, in my opinion, is fun and annoying. a bittersweet mix. And to think..i used to be able to say the 2600' was safe from tetris. But she aint, and she was so beautiful. But what man would have her now. :D Althogh seriously, is there any console tetris HASN'T been ported too? :twisted: