IGNORED

anyone have a hammered system for their own collection?

Dusk2600

my intv and my genesis model one are broken open and barely work, my coleco was shot, but i murcurasely fixed it to work perfect (do not pm and ask how it can never happen again lol) my 7800 only plays 7800 games and so on.

does any 1 have a hammered system but that they use all the time like me?

Yep--it's my Color Gameboy with it's blown power fuse and cracked case. It works now that I jumpered across the power fuse. :D

My Classic Gameboy has no volume control. I soldered an incompatible pot to the board just so that it would look like something is there, then I soldered a jumper across each channel where the volume pot would be. It really puts meaning into "Play It Loud!"

One of my old 5200's was held together with electrical tape.

I normally play Colecovision games on the bare board. Of course that's mostly because I usually have an in-circuit emulator in its Z80 socket, but even when it's not hooked up like that I still play the bare board. And about a third of its chips are socketed because this is one that I repaired (it had a bad DRAM chip, then I just started desoldering and socketing more chips).

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

I have a SNES that got chunked, it still works, but the back end around where everything plugs in is completely gone, shattered into little pieces. The case I mean.

I have a GameGEar that the case had broken appart, and I got for free as non working that I bought back to life and glued back together.

I also have a 7800 that the top of the case is broken, it's the one I play mostly too.

That's about it for me though.

I've got several 'cosmetically challenged' consoles that I keep in my test / cleaning area in the garage. They work fine, but don't look so good. (A lot like me, I guess.) :P

Got a 2600 jr, 7800, 5200, Colecovision, Intellivision, Genesis, NES, SNES, N64, PS1, Dreamcast, and Saturn right now. I like to use them to test the stuff I find a garage sales and flea markets before I add them to my collection or use them in my game room consoles.

:)

does any 1 have a hammered system but that they use all the time like me?
Where I come from, hammered is slang for drunk, not broken, as in "Hey, I got really hammered this weekend!" LOL! :rolling:

yes there are 2 definations to this word, these systems look like his car after he got hammered at a party. Theres both meanings in 1 sentence :)

Edited by Dusk2600

I normally play Colecovision games on the bare board. Of course that's mostly because I usually have an in-circuit emulator in its Z80 socket, but even when it's not hooked up like that I still play the bare board. And about a third of its chips are socketed because this is one that I repaired (it had a bad DRAM chip, then I just started desoldering and socketing more chips).

I can't say that I blame you. Half of the ColecoVision system is just wasted space... even back in the early 1980's, the designers could easily have made it half that size. Of course, that was back in the days when bigger was considered better, even if it really wasn't. Kids back then would have loved the original Xbox!

I try to keep my systems in good shape. However, I do have a used Super NES that's beaten to hell, a Dreamcast in a lovely shade of smoker's yellow (and I don't even smoke!), and a Gizmondo with a cracked battery case.

JR

LOL

My "main" Darth Vader 2600 was former a pair of hammered systems. I salvaged the gut of the 6 switch and the top shell of the Darth Vader console. It still shows a sizeable chunk missing from the front left corner of the console but other than that you wouldn't know it looked like it was run over by a bus.

My Gamegear doesn't have working sound, has a button that doesn't always register, has nicks and scratches all over it, and has a scratch so deep in the screen I should almost be able to see through it (it crosses one entire diagonal of the screen). I still play it a fair bit.

I don't think it counts as hammered, but raise your hand if you have all the battery covers for the Gameboy systems. My original GBA doesn't have one, but my color and B&W still have theirs at least.

Edited by Atarifever

I still have all the batterie covers for my GameBoy's, Game Gears, and most other things. The one thing I don't have battery covers for, is Tiger handhelds, for whatever reason, those got lost, and I always got them second party :P

I never understood how people could loose the battery cover for their stuff, remotes, games, etc. I mean, it's useually held on fairly well, and the only time it should be taken off, is to replace batteries. So what's the deal people?

I found a black GameCube at a local thrift store for $20. It came by itself, no controller, no power supply. The case was damaged, the logo disc (which sits in the lid) was missing. I could hardly open the lid due to it being stuck shut by juice that had been spilled inside the GameCube.

I took it home and took it apart. The handle was cracked and a couple of screw posts were broken off. The lid swtich was broken. There was a lot of dust inside along with the juice which was still sticky. I cleaned out most of the juice and acquired a third party power supply.

Not surprisingly, the GameCube didn't work. So I looked over the power board. Then I hooked it back up to the motherboard and used my multi-tester. I found that the power wouldn't go beyond a certain part. This part had wording that looked like a fuse rating so I decided to solder a wire to both ends of the piece.

The GameCube worked when I turned it on. I replaced the wire with a wire/ferrite part. I repaired the plastic with Plastic Welder. I replaced the lid switch with new parts. I repainted the sides of the GameCube to cover up scuff marks. I even had to replace the system battery, due to it being shorted out by the juice, using the battery holder from a dead PS2 and popping in a new CR2032.

Now it works great. The only thing missing is the logo disc.

What I believe happened was that some kid spilled juice into the GameCube which shorted it out. Then it was thrown across the room in anger causing the extensive plastic damage. Then the GameCube was quickly dispatched to the thrift shop, to punish the kid I think, where I was fated to find my new toy. I swear, people just don't know how to take care of electronics anymore.....

Anyway, below are some pictures of my GameCube repair:

post-5181-1165114139_thumb.jpg

Power board repair.

post-5181-1165114391_thumb.jpg

New lid switch. Fit perfectly with minimal work.

post-5181-1165114668_thumb.jpg

Repairing the cracked handle.

post-5181-1165114845_thumb.jpg

Screw post reattachment.

post-5181-1165115082_thumb.jpg

System battery replacement.

post-5181-1165115203_thumb.jpg

Finished unit. Note the missing logo disc.

I have since added a GameBoy Player and acquired two GameCube Component Video Cables. One is unmodified and the other is RGB modified and I even wrote a detailed page for the GamesX Wiki on how to do the cable hack.

I still have all the batterie covers for my GameBoy's, Game Gears, and most other things. The one thing I don't have battery covers for, is Tiger handhelds, for whatever reason, those got lost, and I always got them second party :P

I never understood how people could loose the battery cover for their stuff, remotes, games, etc. I mean, it's useually held on fairly well, and the only time it should be taken off, is to replace batteries. So what's the deal people?

i second that, got all my gb covers but 1/2 of the old tiger electronics lcd games have no battery cover

Oh yeah, I forgot about that thrift store Nintendo 64 I bought back in 2001. It looked like a dog had tried to chew off the reset button... it was pushed into the unit and refused to budge.

A friend of mine opened up the system a few years later and carved the mutilated plastic around the edges of that button, allowing it to move more freely. He even took out the plastic region block at no extra charge!

JR