IGNORED

5200 with Green Screen....

Anubis

Hello. Can someone provide some help ? Recently a friend of mine gave me a 5200 that was in his garage for years. There was no RF or power supply so I went on eBay and bought the power supply and a "home made" converter". I cleaned the unit with alcohol and a can of compressed air. Fired the unit up with 2 different games and got only a green screen on the tv. I opened the unit up and did some cleaning and for the same result. I read one of the older posts about people having a similar problem. I am going to take the unit apart again and clean the carts themselves again.

My question is... If the system is cleaned properly and still gives me the green screen, what part and where do I get it do I change ? I've repaired my 2600s, PSX 1 & 2 so I'm not adverse to getting my hands dirty.

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated. TIA !!!

T-

I can't tell from your post what's specifically wrong with your system, but in 2002 I brought a 5200 back from the dead, with the help of the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup. I don't know if that old thread will or won't be helpful to you, but you might glean something useful from it.

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electro...8afbd284262c5d6

Then:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electro...f15732509561d70

Edited by NoahsMyBro

One other tidbit I learned from my repair adventure Fall 2002 -

I BELIEVE (but might be mistaken) that the 5200 power input is split into 2 'channels' once it enters the system. One path powers up the circuitry that sends the sound and picture to the TV. The other side powers the computer parts.

I'm guessing your system is powering up the picture/sound circuits, and the computer side of things is going unpowered, thus the 'green screen'.

-- Steve

I'd be checking that home made converter. Is there a power jack on the back of the 5200?

Instead of using the homemade power/AV converter, there is a way to power the typical 4 port 5200 from a standard power supply. You'll need to get your hands dirty in the electronics to do it, though. Mine's been wired direct with the typical AV components still installed, but when I got it, I yanked those out and made it use a common power supply and switchbox.

Thanks to eveyone for the replies. I really appreciate it.

Getting back to my problem...

I'm not sure what I should do. Is there a link or site showing how to convert the unit so that it doesn't need the power supply / switch box thing ? When the unit was first given to me, I was looking all over it for a place to plug in the power supply. When I coudln't find it, I went online and it was then that I discovered the weird way of it being powered through the a/v cable. I tried to buy the real converter but couldn't find one hence my purchase of the homemade version. Should I continue to try and get this one running or just go and buy another unit ?