IGNORED

Various Game Controller pics (& things that plug into a Joystick port)

doctorclu

Here is a topic where you can post pictures of unique game controllers. I'll start it off.

Duplicates are fine and encouraged. What is YOUR favorite game controller?

If you don't know about a controller, just ask (mention the picture number), and if interested in a trade for any in this message, just PM. Otherwise put up here for all to see and enjoy.

post-4709-1166373428_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373439_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373455_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373469_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373498_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373509_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373524_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373540_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373564_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373581_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373607_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373627_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373653_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373678_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373696_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373709_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373724_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373739_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373755_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373769_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373783_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373798_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373891_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373908_thumb.jpg

My favorite controllers?

The original Atari joystick!! Pictured below is the spring loaded one and the regular one. I found that the spring loaded one just has directions markers while the regular one has the "TOP" written on the joystick in orange letters.

The BEST controller (with rapid fire built in) is great when I am trying to rack up a high score. :)

post-4709-1166374154_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166374174_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166374295_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373455_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1166373581_thumb.jpg

I like the 500xj the most. I was trying to get a SMS version so that I can mod it to work with th 7800. I have a NES version, but it seems like a lot more work.

post-4709-1166373891_thumb.jpg

I have this controller in pieces. I was trying to use this as a Intellivision 2 replacement. I was trying to do this as a 10 year old. Maybe I should put it back together. I wonder how good it was with a Colecovision.

post-4709-1166373798_thumb.jpg

These are plentiful and seem perfect for those who do no want to destroy 2600 sticks for projects. I was very happy to find that SMS and Genesis sticks were pin compatible with the 2600 stick standard. I want to make 7800 sticks and sticks for 8bit games with like Defender. Lots of projects so little time. :(

Edited by Almost Rice

Is that my MPP-1000E 300bps modem in there? I think I gave that to you months ago...

:)

Yeh I have two of those, one still in the box. I am impressed with joystick modems, just wish these went faster than 300 baud.

Speaking of exchanges, you still have those strange controllers with the large number buttons on them? That was the most bizarre Atari controller I have seen yet.

Ross PK Posted Today, 1:53 PM

"Some cool controllers there, I remember some of them getting reviewed in one of my Atari User magazines.

I've only got a grey version of the original one which comes with the 800XL, the rubber is missing off the stick as well."

Ah yeh I have one or two for the XE that were gray colored. Nice nice! I liked those a lot.

I also liked the Flashback 2 controllers.. thought those were good.

Almost Rice Posted Today, 1:44 PM

"I like the 500xj the most. I was trying to get a SMS version so that I can mod it to work with th 7800. I have a NES version, but it seems like a lot more work."

I am recently tempted to try these more. They seem like they have nice action!

"I have this controller in pieces. I was trying to use this as a Intellivision 2 replacement. I was trying to do this as a 10 year old. Maybe I should put it back together. I wonder how good it was with a Colecovision."

Not sure, I should try it on the DinaVision and see if it works. Other than that, was tempted to cut the controller down make a small stick. :)

"These are plentiful and seem perfect for those who do no want to destroy 2600 sticks for projects. I was very happy to find that SMS and Genesis sticks were pin compatible with the 2600 stick standard. I want to make 7800 sticks and sticks for 8bit games with like Defender. Lots of projects so little time."

Good idea!! Never thought to use Sega control cords!!

Urchlay Posted Today, 1:22 PM

"The Wico Command Control. You've already got 3 pictures of it (two in boxes). To me this is the pinnacle of home video game controller goodness... nothing before or since comes close. I have 6 of these, which is probably a lifetime supply..."

You know, so many Atari users I've come across just LOVED the Wico, and be honest I never understood why. Yes the stick and buttons are arcade quality, but is that a good thing? The button on the top of the stick is so high up that the action to move something is exaggerated to make anything happen. The base button is a deep sunk button, so to make that work you have to grip the base, reach around to the button, and press a bit farther for it to do that action.

Well, anyway, I know why people like the Wico, it is the most compact arcade quality joystick I have ever found, but the action never worked for me. :)

You know, so many Atari users I've come across just LOVED the Wico, and be honest I never understood why. Yes the stick and buttons are arcade quality, but is that a good thing? The button on the top of the stick is so high up that the action to move something is exaggerated to make anything happen. The base button is a deep sunk button, so to make that work you have to grip the base, reach around to the button, and press a bit farther for it to do that action.

Well, anyway, I know why people like the Wico, it is the most compact arcade quality joystick I have ever found, but the action never worked for me. :)

Well, it helps that I have big hands... but you're right about the button on the base, I never use it.

I used to think the Wico sticks would last forever, but that turns out to be wrong... I've got a worn-out one that died in the last month or so.

My second choice after the Wico is the standard CX-40 Atari stick. Only complaint there is that I have to either keep my thumb bent to reach the button, or else press the button with the side of my thumb instead. Either position gets uncomfortable after a while.

"I have this controller in pieces. I was trying to use this as a Intellivision 2 replacement. I was trying to do this as a 10 year old. Maybe I should put it back together. I wonder how good it was with a Colecovision."

Not sure, I should try it on the DinaVision and see if it works. Other than that, was tempted to cut the controller down make a small stick. :)

I would not do that. They made sticks just like that without the numerical pad. I have one and its like that stick just without the keypad. I bet that joystick might be a rare Colecovision stick. That was what my stick was. I do not like to use it its a bit hard to use. Probably because I used the hell out of it back in the day.

The reason my 500xj are my favorite is because they work without fail.

Best joystick ever. :D I can't play Pac-Man without my TAC-2.

Hm, I can't tell from the glare in the picture, does that have the 4/8 way adjustable gate?

I just recently got a joystick that looks just like that, with 4/8 way gate, in a giant box of TI-994A stuff someone gave me. Should dig it out and try it with Pac-Man.

Best joystick ever. :D I can't play Pac-Man without my TAC-2.

Hm, I can't tell from the glare in the picture, does that have the 4/8 way adjustable gate?

I just recently got a joystick that looks just like that, with 4/8 way gate, in a giant box of TI-994A stuff someone gave me. Should dig it out and try it with Pac-Man.

Hey good question. I do have a TI-99 joystick that had just that, a 4/8 way gate. Interesting.

This joystick has a very tight response, and I like the two button (wonder if it could be modified for a 7800) but is not working completely so far. Haven't opened it up to see why one of the directions is not working.

In short, somewhere along the way someone did what I'm about to do, box up some excess stuff and sell it to me for a bulk amount. Lots of great stuff in there (Like three Atari jackets for one thing) and other things that are just interesting. This and the Epyx controllers were two things in that batch.

I noticed that you also included the slightly smaller 'commodore' controller, as well as the cbm version of the white atari cx40

Just out of interest were thgere any physical difference betw. the epyx and konix version of the speedking or was it just a 'rebranding'

My older bro' preferred the speedking, i liked the competition pro (best longlasting microswitches and best autofire option) and also the classic cx40 (both white and black)

I notice something that looked suspiciously similar to the 5200 controller...or am i seeing things

One that you definately missed out was the arcade controller Atari gave away with purchases of 'track and field' on cartridge (the controller was remeniscent of the controller konami used in 'hypersport'), i used to own one

I also bought a couple of atari 'prolines' when they were available (didn't amiga come up with something similar)

You missed out the atari touch tablet and also atari track ball (there again that was originally released for the 5200)

I didn't like the tac 2...not very good in a long game of defender (i gave up after the second one died on me)

you can't beat a cx40 (shame they didn't devise one with 2 fire buttons and a built in autofire option)

JayoK "Can't believe the Zip stick isn't there. Need to get the digitial camera out for that one. Has a switch on the side for autofire and used high-quality microswitches.

Best one of them all - including Atari's"

Please do! I want to see more pictures on here! Get to know what controllers to look out for.

carmel_andrews' "you can't beat a cx40 (shame they didn't devise one with 2 fire buttons and a built in autofire option)"

I thought they made one for the 7800. You know I'm getting an idea... a evil evil idea.

Take a sega controller (those have the cords with all 9 pins populated right?) and take two CX-40's, a junker and a good one. Then change out the cord with the Sega one, and wire the line for the 7800 2nd fire button in (which pin is that? Can anyone tell me?) Drill a hole in the upper casing for the second button, install a second button switch.

Add a switch and other minor guts for the rapid fire option. (anyone know what parts are needed to make a autofire possible? I have some examples I can open up, but be nice to hear what is dinfately needed) and drill the hole for that switch, maybe put underneath or on the side. And there you go, the dream joystick... a two button CX-40 with autofire. The new Atari controller for the next 20 years. :D

One reason I would want a two button CX-40 is mainly for the Atari Jaguar. There is a hack to use 7800 joysticks on the Jag, but wanted a real CX-40.

Actually the more I think about it, the more I realize I just need to hack a three button CX-40 for the Jaguar. :D

Oh, speaking of the CX-40... anyone remember the radio controlled version?

post-4709-1166463225_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

Rare Newport Design Pro-Stick (original).

post-9154-1166498306_thumb.jpg

I can't play Ms. Pacman or Donkey Kong without this stick. It uses an arcade quality mechism but I'm not sure of the origin. Unfortunately the overall ergonomics are terrible. The button is stiff. The size and shape make this joystick awkard to use in the hands or on the table.

[update]

I love the internet!

I found the original Creative Computing review which prompted me to buy this joystick, the official name of which appears to be Newport Machine Design Model 125A Prostick (see link).

Prostick review (middle of page)

- Steve Sheppard

Edited by a8isa1