IGNORED

Opcode's birthday gift (Donkey Kong Deluxe for CV!)

Pixelboy

Hello, fellow retro gamers! :D

As some of you know, today (December 20th) is our friend Eduardo Mello's birthday, and I gave him a special birthday present, which I would now like to share with you all: Over the last few months, I've been working on the graphics for Opcode's remake of Donkey Kong for the ColecoVision. But as you can see in the mockups I attached to this post, the project is now far more than just a better port of the arcade game, and that's why I've renamed this project "Donkey Kong Deluxe"!

The mockups below are actually just the tip of the iceberg of all the material I gave to Opcode. Every tile, every sprite, every frame of animation has been carefully designed and drawn, and is ready to be used in an actual CV game.

Now I would like to go on record to state that Eduardo is UNDER NO OBLIGATION to use this material. He didn't ask me to work on this, and he certainly didn't ask me to turn his 4-level arcade port project into a 23-level monster of a game! In the end, Opcode may simply decide to do the arcade port he originally intended to do, and I don't have a problem with that, personally. The material I gave him is now his property, and he can modify (or discard) any part of it as he sees fit.

Also, please keep in mind that everything you see in these mockups is subject to change. Comments are welcome, obviously. Enjoy! :)

post-7743-1166633560_thumb.png

Edited by Pixelboy

Hello, fellow retro gamers! :D

As some of you know, today (December 20th) is our friend Eduardo Mello's birthday, and I gave him a special birthday present, which I would now like to share with you all: Over the last few months, I've been working on the graphics for Opcode's remake of Donkey Kong for the ColecoVision. But as you can see in the mockups I attached to this post, the project is now far more than just a better port of the arcade game, and that's why I've renamed this project "Donkey Kong Deluxe"!

And I think it makes a bit more sense now, instead of just having a better port of the arcade game, which was already available.

The mockups below are actually just the tip of the iceberg of all the material I gave to Opcode. Every tile, every sprite, every frame of animation has been carefully designed and drawn, and is ready to be used in an actual CV game.

Can you believe that guys?! ;)

Now I would like to go on record to state that Eduardo is UNDER NO OBLIGATION to use this material.

Funny thing to hear coming from a producer.... :)

He didn't ask me to work on this, and he certainly didn't ask me to turn his 4-level arcade port project into a 23-level monster of a game! In the end, Opcode may simply decide to do the arcade port he originally intended to do, and I don't have a problem with that, personally. The material I gave him is now his property, and he can modify (or discard) any part of it as he sees fit.

Mine, mine! And I am not going to share it with anyone... my precious.... :evil:

Also, please keep in mind that everything you see in these mockups is subject to change. Comments are welcome, obviously. Enjoy! :)

I wonder how much Nintendo would pay me for these awesome new levels... :ponder:

Nah, just kidding! :D

Ok, I will start to discuss the new levels one by one once I get back from lunch... Gee, my stomach still thinks it is 3pm already... :)

Eduardo

And I think it makes a bit more sense now, instead of just having a better port of the arcade game, which was already available.

That's what I figured... :D

Now I would like to go on record to state that Eduardo is UNDER NO OBLIGATION to use this material.

Funny thing to hear coming from a producer.... :)

(*Puts on his producer hat*) You do that game like I designed it or I'll sue you! :evil:

Ok, I will start to discuss the new levels one by one once I get back from lunch...

T'should be an interesting discussion... :)

EDIT: In all the excitement, I forgot to thank johnnywc for his assistance with the four Champ Levels. Thanks Johnny! ;)

Edited by Pixelboy

Woah! That looks sah-weet! Would it be a regular CV game, or using the new add-on module?

While I believe it's theoretically possible to cram this proposed game into a MegaCart and use only 1K of RAM (and make the Opgrade Module unecessary), I say using the OM would be a more desirable solution for three main reasons:

1) We could edit the color palette to make the colors closer to the arcade game.

2) There's a new sprite mode in the OM that allows for up to 8 sprites on the same scanline without flicker. Very useful when you have Mario (3 sprites), a hammer (1 sprite) and two barrels (2 sprites each) displayed along the same scanlines on the screen. Even then, there could still be flicker here and there, but it wouldn't be as annoying. :)

3) The player could store the high-score table in an OpSave cartridge, so his/her high score won't get lost.

Using the OM would offer other benefits too, like extra RAM to work with, and sound output that could match the arcade audio.

I'm wondering if you could PM me with status of the CV cases (shipping cost so I can pay you, shipping status).

Just want to mention that I received my shipment of CV cases yesterday, so if Eduardo managed to mail your shipment before leaving Brazil, you should receive it any day now. :)

(And no, he hasn't sent me an invoice yet either!) :P

• 2 weeks later...

It would be cool if you could pick up a power-up and make Mario grow in size like in the Super Mario game.

I'm bummed that he bailed on the Wizard of Wor port. CV would've been perfect for that and there aren't really any good home console versions, other than the Bally Astrocade version.

Edited by Bill Brasky

It would be cool if you could pick up a power-up and make Mario grow in size like in the Super Mario game.

I'm bummed that he bailed on the Wizard of Wor port. CV would've been perfect for that and there aren't really any good home console versions, other than the Bally Astrocade version.

I dunno about that. The Atari 5200 version is pretty fun IMHO.

• 5 weeks later...

Amazing stuff Pixelboy and Eduardo... 25 years ago, you'd have been millionaires. :) As it stands, you're just envied... could be worse :)

Just thinking about it-- while i love the Opcode module ideas, and can't wait to try one, I'd still think the best bet would be a Standard (OM) and Lite (CV only) versions of the games. Or possibly a routine that recognizes the OM, but plays just fine on a vanilla CV?

Happy belated Birthday Eduardo, and welcome to the states!

Murph

• 1 month later...

any update? will that game be made into cart?

We're putting our efforts this year into Pac-Man Collection, Road Fighter and Konami Sports Collection. Eduardo also wants to complete the prototype of the Opgrade Module before the end of the year. Once all this is done, the next step will be to decide which games we'll be releasing in 2008, and this decision will be taken after Konami Sports Collection has been officially released.

As far as Donkey Kong is concerned, you can be sure we'll eventually release it in some form, either as Donkey Kong Arcade, with just the four arcade levels, or as Donkey Kong Deluxe, with at least some of the levels I designed. No decision as been taken as of yet.