IGNORED

Good, bad and ugly Atari 2600 Arcade Translations

deadmeow

Here are the GOOD

Ms Pac Man - this is a quality release, graphics and sound(sound with a real Atari)

Dig Dug - decent graphics and nice sound!

Kangaroo - this is worth the buy

Frontline - my favorite arcade game as a kid

Bezerk - when I saw this I wanted an Atari!

Jungle Hunt - Good job!

Phoenix

Moon Patrol - honorable job

The BAD

Mario Brothers - what is this!

Donkey Kong - a fat guy chasing a fat ape

Donkey Kong Jr - he's naked!

The UGLY

Congo Bongo - a game worse than atari pac man!

PAC MAN - OMG! bad graphics, worse sound

Q Bert - Q-Bert teleports from spot to spot

Edited by deadmeow

Q Bert - Q-Bert teleports from spot to spot

Q Bert is actually a really nice translation on the 2600. Q Bert doesn't teleprot from blcok to block, but the baddies do.

Oh, and Wizard of Wor is a prettu good arcade title as well...if you can handle the flicker. I also enjoy Gorf.

Other good ones: Crystal Castles, Space Invaders, Galaxian, Missle Command, Asteroids...

Edited by Lord Helmet

Qbert and Mario Bros. are both excellent translations for the 2600.

Oh yeah, Coleco's Moustrap is darn good, considering.

I don't care for it....I give it a "c" at best. The game play gets so redundant even on the hardest settings. It really seems one dimensional after playing Champ's Lady bug. I know, you can't compare a modern homebrew to an original release...blah blah..blah....but still...

I have to stick up for Mario Bros., it's not bad considering the 2600's limitations. Q*Bert was ok, but I also had the 8-bit version which is much better so I never played it much.

This may be a controversal one, but I think Tutankham is a good 2600 conversion. Sure it's nothing like the arcade game, but it's a good version in its own right. In fact, I like it BETTER than the arcade version.

Reactor is another excellent 2600 conversion that I actually like better than the arcade version.

As for bad, how about Amidar? Did they even try with this one?

Tempest

I have to stick up for Mario Bros., it's not bad considering the 2600's limitations. Q*Bert was ok, but I also had the 8-bit version which is much better so I never played it much.

This may be a controversal one, but I think Tutankham is a good 2600 conversion. Sure it's nothing like the arcade game, but it's a good version in its own right. In fact, I like it BETTER than the arcade version.

Reactor is another excellent 2600 conversion that I actually like better than the arcade version.

As for bad, how about Amidar? Did they even try with this one?

Tempest

I second Amidar. I rented it back when it first came out and God was I apalled and disapointed by what I discovered when I switched it on. I was a huge fan of the arcade version and man the 2600 version was truly hideous. On the good side I would go for Stargate, Centipede and Sprint Master ;)

Was Pole Position in the arcades? I thought I remembered it from the '90s. Anyway, Pole Position and Crystal Castles are good translations from the arcade. I just recently saw what Defender looked like in the arcades from Midway Arcade Treasures on GC, and I don't think it's as bad as you people seem to think it is. I don't really like the game very much in general, but I can stand the Atari 2600 version.

Was Pole Position in the arcades? I thought I remembered it from the '90s. Anyway, Pole Position and Crystal Castles are good translations from the arcade. I just recently saw what Defender looked like in the arcades from Midway Arcade Treasures on GC, and I don't think it's as bad as you people seem to think it is. I don't really like the game very much in general, but I can stand the Atari 2600 version.

Yes, Pole Position was in the arcades. A nice 2600 translation as well.

Defender is a decent game....doesn't deserve ALL the bashing it gets....only some.

I have to agree with Zaxxon being a lousy conversion. I first played it at the arcade tent at the Kentucky State Fair's midway. When my dad gave it to me for my birthday, I thought I would explode before I could jam it into the ATARI. When I powered it up, there was a long pause as I took the game in before I could utter those three, little words. . .

This is CRAP!!! :P

Good: Missile Command, Millipede, Warlords.

Bad: Joust. Just doesn't play very well, imho.

Joust isn't bad except they reused the enemy AI for the egg AI. Eggs should not fly around the screen!

Tempest

Joust:

ANOTHER great translation!!!

Don't understand the animosity; I'm quite impressed with it. Nothing wrong with those floating eggs!!!