IGNORED

Best looking classic computers?

deadmeow

The PET looks like a computer that 1960's Hollywood would've designed for a futuristic film set in the future. I think the classic all-in-one Macs (original, Plus, SE-30, Classic, Color Classic) were the best looking computers. Also, the Apple LC series was nice too -- simple, tasteful.

Macintosh_LC.jpg

Edited by gps_trekker

I really like the "pizza box" form factor; it lends itself well to clean, elegant designs. The LC pictured above looks nice, and I also like the Mindset computer (which I linked to earlier in this thread) and the Atari Mega ST series. I think the Atari XEGS would have been a much more appealing machine in this form factor.

"Pizza box" computers look their best when sitting beneath a matching CRT monitor, but unfortunately, they don't make quite as much sense with an LCD. That might be one reason they aren't made anymore, except maybe for the ones that are small enough to hang on the back of the monitor where you can't see them.

I like systems with lots of nooks and crannies into which you can stuff all sorts of simple mods, like a/b switches, or small daughtercards and wires and connectors. The Apple II was good for this, as I'm sure others are. Especially ones with built-in CRT's. Lots of small spaces available in there.

I kind of like the colour scheme on the Olivetti Prodest PC128-S:

http://www.old-compu...t=1&c=1055&st=1

While in practise it is an Acorn BBC Master Compact with a different "skin", the white keys and grey spotted background makes it prettier than in the original look. However the Prodest PC128-S should not be confused with the Prodest PC128 (non-S) that rather is a relabeled Thomson MO6.

Many of the true oddballs however are more rare than they are good looking or functional. Sometimes whether one likes or dislikes the look of one of those depends which version one considers. Take for example the supposedly VCS compatible Bit Corporation BIT 60, for which there is photo proof of two different looks:

Chicklet keyboard version (crude looking) - the love child of a Grundy New Brain (IMHO ugly) and Jupiter Ace (elegant)

Mechanical keyboard version (much prettier)

Since it is so rare, it is hard to tell which version actually went for sale for the short time it was on the market, or if both were available at the same time.

Edited by carlsson

Funny how some of todays laptops have about the same keyboard. This laptop somehow reminds me of the above MSX:

Tandy had a CoCo keyboard right after the "chicklet" model that was referred to as "melted" because it had squashed looking keys... and it looks almost exactly like the keyboard on my Gateway laptop.

My brand new HP laptop has a keyboard that is more like the chicklet model but with much shorter keys.

80s computer magazines criticized both keyboards for not being full travel keyboards but now they are considered normal.

A few of the MSX machines looked cool in earlier years but for the most part, I thought the MSX machines attempted to look too hi-tech and followed the philosophy that if one is good, two must be better, and that got worse over time.

Volume controls, buttons controlling all sorts of features, multiple cartridge slots, etc...

I think the better looking styles were dropped by the time MSX-2 came out in favor of cluttered keyboards with functions functions functions.

I have a Panasonic MSX Turbo R and it looks ok but I wouldn't place it in the best looking category.

I bought it because it was fast and I just want to play around with a fast Z80.

Just for comparison.

Early Yamaha. Nice color, what you need, nothing you don't... but no disk drive. Reasonably attractive.

Yamaha_MSX_YIS503.jpg

MSX Turbo R GT (one of the last MSX machines). Keys, keys, keys, volume, etc...

Brute styling rather than sleek IMHO.

thumb_630038MSX%20Turbo%20R%20panasonic_a1gt.jpg

<edit>

Here is a page with a lot of MSX machines:

http://www.nikbull.co.uk/Angeldust/MSX.htm

Edited by JamesD

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question for Jamesd....that last piccy of the MSX, was that the one with the updated hardware (i.e increased colour/color range, redefinable gfx resolutions and more sprites etc) as well as a half decent sound chip and built in midi

As for best looking system (apart from anything atari) it would have to be a toss-up between the C=128 and the unreleased (prototypes of) C=65...that is what the orig. amoeba should have looked like

Volume controls, buttons controlling all sorts of features, multiple cartridge slots, etc...

You NEED more than one cartridge port, especially in instances where you are going to use FM sound and don't have an MSX2+. One slot for the FM cartridge, and one slot for your game.

Without two cartridge ports, I'd never be able to attach a disk drive emulator cartridge, and a flash cartridge in at the same time.

As for buttons controlling features... I thought having a built in turbo slider for the joystick, and a speed-controller for your CPU were pretty neat and don't clutter anything.

I like the volume switch on my FM cartridge too. It's handy.

I think the better looking styles were dropped by the time MSX-2 came out in favor of cluttered keyboards with functions functions functions.

Cluttered keyboards? ...How? They're standardized keyboards with all the keys you'd need to actually use the thing. Do you think your current PC keyboard is cluttered? It's probably got more keys. Japanese keyboards may LOOK cluttered to you... if you can't read all of the keys to realize what they even do... but to say they're cluttered and have too many functions makes it sound like you just stare at the computer instead of using it.

If you've got a better way to do it, I'm sure Japan would like to know. They have a whole different character set they need to be able to enter aside from English.

I have a Panasonic MSX Turbo R and it looks ok but I wouldn't place it in the best looking category.

I bought it because it was fast and I just want to play around with a fast Z80.

Stop playing around with it, and start using it instead. If you didn't or don't use the computer for anything other than popping a few games in, you have no business griping about the "cluttered" keyboard with too many features on it.

Take a look at that Turbo R again. If you think that is cluttered, I am going to go out on a limb and say you're kind of dense.

The entire Sony and Sanyo line of MSX2's are all pretty sleek. The HBF1-XV is all black, slim, and has a perfectly great keyboard. The Turbo R takes that to an extra level.

This is all coming from someone who uses an MSX Turbo R FSA1-GT on a daily basis. Before that I used a HBF1-XV, and a XDJ.

EDIT: In response to carmel_andrews: The MSX got increased color modes in the 2+ witih the v9958 chip. They also got onboard FM with the 2+.

Before that, you needed an external FM cart. There was also the SCC from Konami, for really great sound in their games.

The Turbo R has all of that and more (MIDI)

Edited by Arkhan

• 3 weeks later...

Have to add my favorites:

3.gif

mc-10-tp-10.jpg

For sure my fav is the Coco 3. Compact style and built so tough that my unit is still going after 20 odd years. never had to replace anything in it :)

2nd would be the Amstrad CPC with built in disk drive. Still love to get one in the future.

3rd Vic-20, My 1st computer and still a fav, rather this model then any other Crumbledoor range :)

4th Atari ST. awesome machine.

• 1 year later...