IGNORED

Atari 410 and 1010 belts

Urchlay

• 2 months later...

I guess my 410 belt needs to desperately be replaced. I just got a 410 and some cassette games, I can't do anything with the 410. No rewind, play, advance, nothing. All it can do is play for a second then stop. It will make a faint humming noise when it tries to move. I also get Error 143 or 138.

• 7 months later...

Bump to an old thread on cassette belts!!!

From the 1010 Field service manual parts lists,

on the 1010c you have

Motor Drivr Belt FC100228

Counter Belt FC100229

OK, regarding the 1010, I've found a belt that fits perfectly, and rewind/ff/play works fine.

The 1010 belt came from a place called Audio Lab of Georgia, http://www.audiolabga.com, phone (770) 455-0571.

Their part number is 79-10.55

The measurements are: 10.5" x .025" x .125" (that's "inner circumference" x "thickness" x "width").

Also, I've found a pretty close match from a different distributor:

http://www.ceitron.com/passive/flatSbelt.html (main page of site is http://www.ceitron.com/ for ordering).

The closest match from here appears to be FS10.6, measurements 10.6" x .031" x .12" (the numbers are given in reverse order on the site). I haven't ordered any of these yet, but I can't see the slight difference in size being a real problem (belts stretch with age and use anyway, so there's a built-in tolerance factor). The next smaller size has a 10.2" circumference, which might be too tight. They're only 85 cents, so you might want to order both sizes and see whether the smaller one works (if it does, it'll last longer because it should take longer to get stretched out of shape, I think).

Sounds like you have the Chelco-made (Hong Kong, silver decal) figured out! Now I don't feel so lucky that I just bought 2 Sanyo-made (Japan, orange decal). units. Then I could utilize your research, which is very helpful to people!

From the 1010 Field service manual parts lists,

and on the 1010s

Motor drive belt FC100250

Counter Belt FC100251

BTW, there are two models of 1010. Mine is made in Hong Kong, FCC ID BPA7YJ1010, serial number 7YJEA-55. I'm not sure whether the two models will use the same belt, so before ordering, take a look inside and either measure your existing belt (if it's still in one piece) or wrap a piece of string around the 3 pulleys and make sure the distance is about 10 and a half inches.

From Charlie's posting above from the 1010 Field Service Manual, it's a different part number for the Sanyo-unit. I wouldn't place a high likelihood on it being the same dimensions. MAJOR, MAJOR BUMMER!

I don't suppose anybody here has done this replacement for the Sanyo unit? Wonder if the shape is even the same??? My 1010s are on the way. Not sure if they are both working, but would like to get belts anyway. Guess I'll have to take one apart and measure. I don't have a micrometer, either.

My eyes! The goggles, they do nothing!

Well at least color blind people will not be affected.

My 1010 is working perfectly, but if someone comes up with the right replacement belts I'll probably order a set, just in case...

Heh heh...sorry about the writing! I was thinking I would build a lengthy message include multi-multi-quotes and that it would make the message easier to follow...but reality didn't follow ambition! :) :)

I'm with Havok69.....replacement belts, just in case. After all, you have spare rubber for your Studebaker so why not your 1010!

I know everyone is looking for new replacements, but Best does have NOS replacements for most of the 1010's

I DO know that the belts are different enough between models to not be able to work.

[edit]

FYI... From BEST Electronics

1010 Hong Kong Motor Belt $9.00 limit 2

(two different styles, has flat version)

1010 Hong Kong Counter Belt $0.75 limit 2

1010 Japan Motor Belt $3.00 no limit

1010 Japan Counter Belt out of stock.

Both 410's use the same belts

Tape Belt $1.50

Motor Belt $1.50

Counter Belt $1.50

Hmmm, with the 410's being so $4.50 per unit to completely replace belts, might be worth it for me to do that.

Edited by orpheuswaking

• 7 months later...

No sense in creating a new topic since a lot of information is already here. I went to replace my belts in my Atari 410 and found there looks to be 4 belts, not 3. I’ve attached images for ease of description. The belts with the green arrows are what I’ve replaced. The one with the red arrow I did not. Currently the symptoms of the recorder are that it will not rewind very well and will not play. It fast forwards fine and the counter works. When I have the unit play, the pinch roller works but the spindle doesn’t move causing the tape not to be wound into the cassette.

I ordered the replacement belts from Best Electronics, but it would seem that they do not have the 4th belt. I guess I'll try and determine how to get this belt out and take some measurements for a replacement.

post-9468-129824680158_thumb.jpg

post-9468-12982468134_thumb.jpg

No sense in creating a new topic since a lot of information is already here. I went to replace my belts in my Atari 410 and found there looks to be 4 belts, not 3. I’ve attached images for ease of description. The belts with the green arrows are what I’ve replaced. The one with the red arrow I did not. Currently the symptoms of the recorder are that it will not rewind very well and will not play. It fast forwards fine and the counter works. When I have the unit play, the pinch roller works but the spindle doesn’t move causing the tape not to be wound into the cassette.

I ordered the replacement belts from Best Electronics, but it would seem that they do not have the 4th belt. I guess I'll try and determine how to get this belt out and take some measurements for a replacement.

Is yours the standard 410 model or one of the earlier models with the carrying handle?

I believe the belt you have arrowed in red is the same belt viewed from the top and the bottom (I have a 410 open in front of me and it matches exactly - That's just the top and bottom view)

That is correct. It is the same belt, but there are 3 others in the 410, two of which look like they are dedicated for the counter and the other for the motor. If you have a source for the belt that is marked with the red arrow, it would be appreciated.

Edited by Witchboard

Hi all,

In the 410 pictured (the most common model), there are four belts present (I know, I have re-belted many of them now!)

The large main belt is the motor drive belt, the smallest belt is for the counter and there are two other belts, one each for fast forward and rewind. The counter, motor and fast forward belt are all relatively easy to change. The problem is the rewind belt which is obscured (pictured with red arrow in the above post)

I have yet to find a way to access this belt without breaking the top plastic brace icon_frown.gif I have tried on many players (scrap and good) without success, I think this maybe is due to the plastic brace needing to be pliable but has gone brittle over the yearsicon_confused.gif

When I ordered a belt kit from Best, it only came with three belts (counter, fast forward and ,main motor)

I have now found a supplier in the U.K. of all belts for both the 410 and 1010 machines, they are at http://cpc.farnell.com/(I'll post the part numbers later)

I even have the elusive rewind belt but have yet to fit one successfully! For the time being I just flip the tape and fast forward to rewind.

Cheers

Dom

Edited by beamer320i
  • Thanks 1

Ok, listed below are the three main belts with part numbers from CPC for the Atari 410:

Rewind: 97mm x 1.2 = CPC AVBELT 69

Fast Forward: 113mm x 1.1mm = CPC AVBELT 76

Play (Main): 201mm x 1.2 mm = CPC AVBELT 100

As regards the counter belt, any small rubber band will suffice as it's non-critical.

post-24505-129832405769_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anyone looking for dead ones to revive, I have a bunch of non-working 410s that can be yours for the price of shipping. Just PM me. The few that I have put belts (or ponytail holders, or rubber bands) are revivable, but I am getting out of the Atari refurb racket.

Actually, my wife is pushing me out but that's a whole 'nother story.

None of them have handles. Here is a picture of some:

post-6271-129833360026_thumb.jpg

@Beamer - thanks for posting up the info on the belts.

@Phaxda - wives can be a real pain when it comes to Atari stuff , I get subjected to an "Atari ban" every so often where I can't buy anything else or she flips! One night I filled the living room with Atari stuff after she'd gone to bed and left some cookies out. I told her it was her fault as obviously the Atari's had eaten after midnight (a.k.a Gremlins) and bred like crazy . :ponder: She kind of leaves me alone now :D

So the belt I've identified with the red arrow is the rewind belt. That explains why my 410 won't rewind well, but now I'm not sure why my play doesn't work properly. Thanks for the source and part numbers.

One thing I noticed when fitting the main play belt is that it has to seat perfectly in the large silver pulley, or else if it just 'perches' on top it will run unevenly, causing problems loading, etc.

Will dig out the 1010 belt dimensions later!

Okay, I found out why my play is not working. It's not a belt failure. I messed around with the 410 while it was disassembled. I've attached yet another image for easy explanation. The wheel circled is engaged between the pinch roller and the base of the spindle when play is pressed. However, mine is slipping. I can push it with my finger a little more towards the center of the deck and it works fine. I'm presuming the rubber wheel has shrunk with age or is too dry to produce sufficient friction to function properly.

post-9468-129851945581_thumb.jpg

Okay, I found out why my play is not working. It's not a belt failure. I messed around with the 410 while it was disassembled. I've attached yet another image for easy explanation. The wheel circled is engaged between the pinch roller and the base of the spindle when play is pressed. However, mine is slipping. I can push it with my finger a little more towards the center of the deck and it works fine. I'm presuming the rubber wheel has shrunk with age or is too dry to produce sufficient friction to function properly.

Rubber roller rejuvenator does good things for rubber. Most often used in printers. It is definitely only to be used in a well ventilated area though :)

Ok, listed below are the three main belts with part numbers from CPC for the Atari 410:

Rewind: 97mm x 1.2 = CPC AVBELT 69

Fast Forward: 113mm x 1.1mm = CPC AVBELT 76

Play (Main): 201mm x 1.2 mm = CPC AVBELT 100

As regards the counter belt, any small rubber band will suffice as it's non-critical.

Man, people posting helpful, factual stuff like this is awesome, and really makes this site wonderful. I don't need these belts myself yet, but thanks for sharing info like that.