IGNORED

mos6507's Blog - GP2X

RSS Bot

I got a GP2X to keep my daughter busy when I am at the gym room in my apartment. I am really impressed with the Stella emulator for GP2X. It's very smooth and, of course, 1:1 pixel accurate. I have only a handful of games running on Mame but I'm downloading a dedicated GP2X pack and will try it again. The rotation feature on vertically oriented games is cool, but I wish you could do 180 rotation so I could use the stick with my right hand. It should wind up working pretty well for the coinop games I like to play. The fatal problem with the GP2X is the joystick. It has this deadzone in the center so you can not quickly move from one direction to the next. Also, if you "roll" the stick around it can sometimes short-circuit and stop reporting a direction. I think this has to do with how it handles the center push-down feature. This was really really dumb. It makes "twitch" games almost impossible to play. They should have just done an analog thumb stick like the PSP or a dual shock, or a digital stick no center push-in and have a true mini-stick that comes to a ball point. An analog stick would have helped a lot of emu scenarios. I think what I'm going to do is put a piece of rubber on top for extra traction. Any game that can be controlled via buttons alone (think LRTF games) I'll have to try to remap to buttons and avoid the stick. Someone is going to have to offer an EXT peripheral with better portable controls.

Another big deal for me was the video playback capability. It can play divx avis, the usual CD-sized DVD rips I have in my collection at full speed. That's something my Cingular 8125 can not do. It can't seem to handle the higher-bandwidth ones that are split across two CD-sized files. Transferring files through the GP2X is slow. I think it's only USB 1.1. Better to use a card reader, but my printer which has one is currently hooked up via ethernet so I don't have access to it.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=3323