IGNORED

Breakout for the Vectrex

Steril707

I am currently coding a Breakout clone called "Block" on the Vectrex.

This is pretty much in very early beta stage, the collision detection is still a mess, the game restarts if you miss, the first line next to the pad needs two hits, and nothing spectacular happens if you clear the stage, but since these days there is not much released for the Vectrex anyway, here it is...

have fun...

Michael (Steril707)

Block.BIN

Unfortunately ParaJVE doesnt work all too well with my small Breakout clone, the graphics are a little bit weird. (Small ball, and the bricks are not at their supposed place)..

But other than that, i would say that ParaJVE is THE Vectrex emulator now, with MESS a close second.

So, it looks pretty good. More like an Arkanoid than a breakout. :)

It is interesting that the ball is small on ParaJVE, is this happening on MESS as well?

The game is looking pretty good. Are you downloading/developing on a real Vectrex?

What are you using for downloading?

Are you utilizing C compiler or are you coding in straight 6809?

Hello!!! :)

So, it looks pretty good. More like an Arkanoid than a breakout. :)

Nice to hear... At the end it's supposed to be more like an 'Arkanoidish' game. I will add a few extras, and maybe enemies.

And different levels with different kinds of bricks.

It is interesting that the ball is small on ParaJVE, is this happening on MESS as well?

No, MESS is doing quite well in displaying everything in its right place. It's still interesting how different the games look on the real hardware compared to the emulators. I will try to get my game working with ParaJVE though..I heard from Franck, the guy who is coding ParaJVE that this problem has something to do with the analogue hardware of the Vectrex, it has some quirks which are really difficult to emulate. But he is working on that.

The game is looking pretty good. Are you downloading/developing on a real Vectrex?

What are you using for downloading?

Are you utilizing C compiler or are you coding in straight 6809?

I use Richard Hutchinsons VecFlash for that. Works like a charm for me. First off i test out my games on emulators like ParaJVE and Mess (usually alternating on both), and then every few builds i upload the bin-file to my Vecflash to check it out on the real thing.

Everything is written in 6809 Assembler on Textpad, and i use As09 (i just have to press a key in Textpad to get the assembling started, very convenient).

Everything is written in 6809 Assembler on Textpad, and i use As09 (i just have to press a key in Textpad to get the assembling started, very convenient).

Those are my favorite tools also. Textpad and as09 are a very good combination!

I'm at work now so I will try the breakout-game when I get home.

Edited by VilleK

I tried the game in ParaJVE and I found it fun to play even though the mentioned emulator glitches.

I like the graphics of the blocks and the titlescreen.

Do you use analogue joystick input so that the bat move faster depending on joystick angle? That would work more like the analogue "paddle" control from the original game.

I tried the game in ParaJVE and I found it fun to play even though the mentioned emulator glitches.

I like the graphics of the blocks and the titlescreen.

Do you use analogue joystick input so that the bat move faster depending on joystick angle? That would work more like the analogue "paddle" control from the original game.

Hey Ville,

I plan to use analogue controls, but i havent found any material about how to do that yet. If you have any pointers to something i would be quite happy...

I haven't coded using analogue controls myself, but it looks like it is specified in the Vectrex Bios dissassembly:

http://www.playvectrex.com/designit/chrissalo/bios.htm

Search for "Joy_Analog".

i am aware of this section in the Disassembly, but being the sissy that i am i hoped i would stumble upon a code snippet that explains it all... Hmm, guess i have to ask Vectorzoa Alex a bit, he used analogue controls in Spikes Circus...

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.. Any new Vectrex related projects in sight from you? You have shaken the scene with your excellent Thrust (one of my most played game son Vectrex, i can tell you), i guess people would be jumping up and down to see something new coming from you...

• 2 weeks later...
Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.. Any new Vectrex related projects in sight from you? You have shaken the scene with your excellent Thrust (one of my most played game son Vectrex, i can tell you), i guess people would be jumping up and down to see something new coming from you...

Many thanks for those encouraging words! Working on Thrust was very hard work and took me about 18 months to finish, so now I have taken a break from Vectrex development and focusing on another project: my 64kb development system ZGameEditor. Maybe I will return to the Vectrex if I have another idea for a game in the future.

Many thanks for those encouraging words! Working on Thrust was very hard work and took me about 18 months to finish, so now I have taken a break from Vectrex development and focusing on another project: my 64kb development system ZGameEditor. Maybe I will return to the Vectrex if I have another idea for a game in the future.

This is really my mostplayed game on the system, by far...I played it almost every day over the last week. It's really awesome, and was one of the main reasons for me to start coding for the vectrex myself...