IGNORED

2600 BERZERK more new mazes!

espire8

The show so far...

A boot screen added (there's currently no way to skip it, but it only lasts until the framecounter runs out). Game variations corrected -again-. The lower line skew has been corrected - I cheated a little by using a LAX instruction in the score display. The possibility of scoring points or moving within the attract mode has been eliminated, I hope. The life counter is now allowed to go up to 99 in reserve. The number of (enabled) screens in this version is 16.

Note: I'm aware of the ball positioning glitch in PAL's attract mode...still can't nail that problem :P However, it functions correctly in-game.

2player_Berzerk_test_.zip

Sweet stuff.

Any chance you can detail the variations? The first level I tried didn't have any Evil Otto and so I was sad. But then I tried a game variation (I think it was level 7?) and Otto was there so I was happy again. But then I discovered I was able to shoot him and he disappeared which is not accurate to the original and makes the game too easy so I was sad again. But then I discovered another variation (level 11?) where Evil Otto was invincible and I was happy again.

Sheesh, I'm becoming as maniacal as Otto himself!

Sweet stuff.

Any chance you can detail the variations? The first level I tried didn't have any Evil Otto and so I was sad. But then I tried a game variation (I think it was level 7?) and Otto was there so I was happy again. But then I discovered I was able to shoot him and he disappeared which is not accurate to the original and makes the game too easy so I was sad again. But then I discovered another variation (level 11?) where Evil Otto was invincible and I was happy again.

Sheesh, I'm becoming as maniacal as Otto himself!

I am quietly working on this in the background as Nukey does all of the major frame-work. Evil Otto will be the default in the finished version, It is a really simple fix.

For now, You want to use Game 5.

Edited by neotokeo2001

No fix needed.

Game variations are in the same order that the manual lists them...only there's twice as many now (accounting for yellow 2-player games). It follows the formula new variation = {old variation * 2} - 1...so the new chart goes:

|Game | # players | Bonus Life|  Evil Otto  |   Robots   |
|-----+-----------+-----------+-------------+------------|
|  1  |	 1	 |Every 1,000|   No Otto   |  Shooting  |
|  2  |	 2	 |Every 1,000|   No Otto   |  Shooting  |
|  3  |	 1	 |Every 1,000|   Rebound   |  Shooting  |
|  4  |	 2	 |Every 1,000|   Rebound   |  Shooting  |
|  5  |	 1	 |Every 1,000|  Invincible |  Shooting  |
|  6  |	 2	 |Every 1,000|  Invincible |  Shooting  |
|  7  |	 1	 |Every 2,000|   No Otto   |  Shooting  |
|  8  |	 2	 |Every 2,000|   No Otto   |  Shooting  |
|  9  |	 1	 |Every 2,000|   Rebound   |  Shooting  |
| 10  |	 2	 |Every 2,000|   Rebound   |  Shooting  |
| 11  |	 1	 |Every 2,000|  Invincible |  Shooting  |
| 12  |	 2	 |Every 2,000|  Invincible |  Shooting  |
| 13  |	 1	 |  No Bonus |   No Otto   |  Shooting  |
| 14  |	 2	 |  No Bonus |   No Otto   |  Shooting  |
| 15  |	 1	 |  No Bonus |   Rebound   |  Shooting  |
| 16  |	 2	 |  No Bonus |   Rebound   |  Shooting  |
| 17  |	 1	 |  No Bonus |  Invincible |  Shooting  |
| 18  |	 2	 |  No Bonus |  Invincible |  Shooting  |
| 19  |	 1	 |Every 1,000|  Invincible |Non-Shooting|
| 20  |	 2	 |Every 1,000|  Invincible |Non-Shooting|
| 21  |	 1	 |Every 1,000|   Rebound   |Non-Shooting|
| 22  |	 2	 |Every 1,000|   Rebound   |Non-Shooting|
| 23  |	 1	 |Every 1,000|   No Otto   |Non-Shooting|
| 24  |	 2	 |Every 1,000|   No Otto   |Non-Shooting|

When selecting games, the variation # will show in green for single-player games, and yellow for 2-player games.

BTW there's currently 2 flags that are unused in the game variations that could be implemented someplace else. Like choosing the aggressiveness of the initial waves, for example...or choosing a variation that has a lower number or less hazardous layout of screens. There's still a whole lotta space to fill.

...or an "Adventure"-type game that cycles screens in a specific pattern and you have to locate a bonus object :) The way that the screens work, you could have the game automatically block the upper or lower doors and/or both of the side exits (because the playfield is mirrored). In that way, you'd have to progress though the maze of screens on a specific path to avoid getting blocked inside a room that has no exits.

Of course, this goes against the concept of this game...but it's a possibility.

As is...no. I have a difficult enough time keeping my own changes from wrecking a stable display (priority 1 in hacking...don't wreck anything that works). Berzerk VE functions by ignoring the display kernal...and I never figured out VOX (this would need a little bit of ram too).

...or an "Adventure"-type game that cycles screens in a specific pattern and you have to locate a bonus object :) The way that the screens work, you could have the game automatically block the upper or lower doors and/or both of the side exits (because the playfield is mirrored). In that way, you'd have to progress though the maze of screens on a specific path to avoid getting blocked inside a room that has no exits.

Of course, this goes against the concept of this game...but it's a possibility.

How about a Panic Room level where there are no walls and the doors remain closed until all of the robots are destroyed. Max number of robots or more if possible.

post-3832-1213142539_thumb.png

Or have a variation that has an actual ending after so many levels have been completed. Maybe even a final boss level. That would give the perfect run people a score to shoot for without playing forever.

post-3832-1213142552_thumb.png

Edited by neotokeo2001

The way that the screens work, you could have the game automatically block the upper or lower doors and/or both of the side exits (because the playfield is mirrored).

Uh, why both sides? Didn't we just fix that?

I mean blocking them regardless of which entrance brought you there. But you make a good point because the lower nybble of PF0 data is normally unused (except the original game uses it for missile data...which could be relocated)...and could hold info of which of them to always block instead.

Here's something that I spent quite a while with...regular (reversed) maze data and mirrored maze data support. The routines have been altered to store CTRLPF on each of the 42 lines...with the low bit of PF0 determining if the line should be displayed in reversed or mirrored mode. Only screen #22 (data21) was designed to test it. However, this took away the ability to set up sprite shapes in advance. This idea has been abandoned due to an increased number of glitches:

- A ripple effect for the player and player missile on the left side, and playfield shearing on the right.

- No way to implement selectable door modes (as doing so in mirrored data would mess up the maze in the center of the screen).

- Increased shearing on lines that the player exists on.

It was an interesting effect :( I went back to the old way of using all reversed data instead. Current developments are to show game variation icons as you select through the numbers - 1/2 player icon, 1k or 2k bonus reserve life, if the robots shoot (a gun icon), and an icon that shows if Otto is present and if so, if he is invincible or vulnerable). These are present in the abandoned test file.

I'm just filling up leftover space with mazes currently before calling this thing done (the original 21 have been compacted to take up only 1k...and there's still 1k free). I have 2 free (unused) bytes of ram and some spare VBLANK time to be used as voice support if I can figure out VOX (which is difficult, since I have no way of testing it). Anybody have some robot voice data tables to share? 2-player support can still be present if both players share the left stick.

Berzerk_2_screen_modes.zip

Currently 64 screens...I still have a lotta memory left because there's still basically only a small number of "base" screen variations multiplied by 4 door styles (upper, center, lower, and double). I'm trying not to alter it too much from displaying generic-type rooms. As mentioned previously, game variations are shown as icons.

2player_Berzerk.zip

Nice screen and love the icons. Are you gonna alter the things (sprites?) that block the exits so they are as wide as the doors?

Anyways, looking good. I still think diagonal shot and Voice should be conbined for the ultimate Berzerk in glorious 32Ks. I'm liking your mazes too :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

OK, time to bump this thread.

I am throwing the gauntlet down for someone to add an AtariVox speech driver / high score table to Berzerk VE.

I would be glad to script the speech for it, but I don't have the chops to code the drivers.

I have heard the speech in Vectrex berzerk and I can definitely make it sound better than that.

• 1 year later...

Here's a pass at adding in AtariVox voice support...

2player_Berzerk.zip

It has the following speech effects...

• "chicken fight like a robot"
  • "the humanoid must not escape"
  • "got the humanoid, got the intruder"
  • "intruder alert, intruder alert"

To hear the voice effects you'll need an AtariVox plugged into your 2600's second joystick port, or to your AtariVox USB adapter if you're using Stella.

Back to you Nukey

Ok, I found a bug where the exit speech wouldn't always trigger, so I fixed that and added some more voice effects to make it closer to the arcade. This version has the following speech effects...

• "chicken fight like a robot" (player exits with some robots alive)
  • "the humanoid must not escape" (player exits with all robots dead, #1)
  • "the intruder must not escape" (player exits with all robots dead, #2)
  • "got the humanoid, got the intruder" (the player got killed)
  • "intruder alert, intruder alert" (evil otto enters)
  • "get him" (semi-random while robots are alive, #1)
  • "kill it" (semi-random while robots are alive, #2)

2player_Berzerk.zip

My latest and final kick at the can...

Sometimes the kill-it/get-him speech would override Otto's intruder-alert speech. I made a change so the two events would never happen at the same time.

While I was in, I fixed the PAL attract-mode glitch, and made the player rainbow-flash when dying like the arcade game does.

2player_Berzerk.zip

Feel free to undo or change anything you don't like Nukey. I know this is your baby! :thumbsup:

Not at all...I just make changes that I think lead to a better game. Anybody is free to disagree and/or make alterations of their own. VOX support is a great addition that was impossible for me to add - since I lack the hardware to develop and test it (and I really dislike the other option of digitized speech, because screen blanking detracts from gameplay IMO)...so thx for picking up the torch :thumbsup:

• Like 2